Feeding slings

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
So I have slings and I have 1/8 crickets, my question is how do I get the crickets. I have small tweezers but it ends up crushing them when I try to grab them. How do I get these small crickets out of their area

Akai

Arachnobaron
How big are your slings and what kind of slings are they? Depending on the size of the sling most of them fair well with pre-killed or cricket parts such as the legs. Crickets can be dangerous feeders if your slings aren't big enough to take them on and they may end up getting killed in the process. Crushing them with tweezers is actually a good thing. Slings can scavenge feed if they are too small.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
The slings are probably about a half inch. Is there a safer meal for them? Flightless fruitflies or something or mealworms?

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
The slings are probably about a half inch. Is there a safer meal for them? Flightless fruitflies or something or mealworms?
Adult cricket parts or prekilled small crickets like Akai said. I feed all my tiny slings prekilled small crickets and they do fine.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Is half inch tiny? They dont seem to have an issue with killing the tiny crickets.

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 12:54 PM ----------

Also theeyre mexican red rumps

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
one trick is to stick the crix in the fridge for a little bit, just long enough to slow them down. then they're easier to pick up with the tweezers.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
My littlest ones are 2nd instar B. vagans (red rumps). It's just too much of a hassle to round up live food that is tiny enough. It's much easier to smash a small cricket head or pull the back legs off of an adult cricket and feed that. Some people cut up meal worms to feed small slings. Little ones will happily scavenge.

cold blood

Staff member
I use a vial to scoop up crickets. Works great.
+1 exactly what I do. put the vial in and herd a cricket in...very simple and effective....if your slings are fine with making their own kill, great, let them, makes things more entertaining to watch at the very least

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Yeah. Ill have to figure out where to get a small vial. Its entertaining. Not as entertaini ng as my desert scorp but im sure it will get there when the T's are bigger and have larger prey

cold blood

Staff member
Many dealers/breeders send slings in the vials, they're smaller than pill containers, which makes putting them in small places easier. When I have crickets I don't put them in a terribly large container, and I put in a lot of wood pieces for them to hide under, so there's only so much room...I just hold onto them.

cold blood

Staff member
Look for ones with a smaller diameter so when one runs in you can plug it with your thumb and easily secure the little...bugger.:)