P. Metallica Care

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I've recently ordered a 1" P. Metallica sling (though it wont be shipped till a week or two), I've been doing as much research as possible but since there's so many different care sheets and opinions I wanted to ask you guys directly. What are the best tips you can give on raising the little guy?
(By the way, I did finally order Stan Schultz's book :sarcasm:)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
32 oz deli cup with a ring of small holes near the top, and inch of slightly moist substrate, a small piece of cork leaned against the side, a piece of plastic plant (Zoo Med vine-type, cut to fit), some long fiber sphagnum under the plastic plant, and a small water bowl (lid from 16 oz water bottle). That's how I keep all my Poec slings. Move them to a larger cage when they're around 3".

awiec

Arachnoprince
Do what Poec says, fortunately P.metallica is probably the most hardy and calm of the pokies so despite the hard hit to the wallet they are a very nice one to start with.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
As Poec54 said, "slightly moist substrate" is good, not too moist. Mine seem to be better on a rather dry substrate with a little waterdish (in a deli cup with little holes, it gives enough RH) than on too much moisture. One well known french breeder keep them dry with waterdish to very good results. P metallica is an excellent choice to begin with the Poecilotheria genus. Enjoy!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As Poec54 said, "slightly moist substrate" is good, not too moist. Mine seem to be better on a rather dry substrate with a little waterdish (in a deli cup with little holes, it gives enough RH) than on too much moisture. One well known french breeder keep them dry with waterdish to very good results. P metallica is an excellent choice to begin with the Poecilotheria genus. Enjoy!
Thanks for helping clarify. Best to err being a little too dry than a little too moist. Some people assume that because they're tropical, they need lots of moisture. You do not want wet substrate and condensation. Arboreals are used to breezes that dry things out after the rains. I see that here in Florida. We get 1 to 3 inches of rain most afternoons in the summer, then the sun comes out and in a couple hours the trees have dry leaves and branches.