Just got a desert hairy scorp

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I purchased a desert hairy scorp. I believe hes a juvenile, hes about 2 inches long. First can it be sexed ay this age? Second is it okay to have it in a 2.5 gallon tank with sand? At that age?

Frogo224

Arachnopeon
You can try sexing it, if you find him up against the glass at any point, just snap a picture and we could help you identify it.
2.5 is a little bit overkill for him, but it's not going to hurt him as long as he can find his food when you feed him.
Tip: Get excavator clay. These species are heavy burrowers and with excavator clay he can begin to build his own home.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is that a must for the clay or can it wait a few weeks?
Best to get the clay ASAP, until then keep him on some sand mixed with peat (80/20), sand to peat, works well. Once you get the clay mix it with the sand about (60/40), clay to sand. Make sure you dampen the clay/sand or sand/peat mixture, so you can pack it down into the cage. That way your hairy will burrow for differing levels of humidity (as they do in the wild). But get some clay asap, it will help tremendously holding a burrow!

Cheers,

Rob

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice! I have some coconut fiber (ecoearth) could I mix a little of that in there instead of peat do yoy think?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You don't need excavator clay, really, you can just use quikset play sand, just pack it in, tamp it down, and mist the sand heavily, so about 2" of water has seeped down, then let it dry.

If ventilated we'll enough it doesn't have to be bone dry.

you can mist the sand every now and then to reinforce its stability.

A wide flat stone is a good idea, so even if it does collapse, it will still be okay