Bamboo for T hides ?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone , my friend has a bamboo grove never sprays pesticides and just cut a hole bunch down and offered it to me for my tarantulas. I have never used it so I'm unsure if it's safe. Does any one use bamboo or know if it's a good idea ? I think it would be really cool for my aboreals .

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Arboreal spiders will achor webbing onto it, big enough bamboo hides might be used by terrestrials. Bottom line, as long as there are no sharp edges and the stuff is really pesticide / chemical free - I don't see a problem.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I can't say I've ever heard anyone mention there being an issue with it...but then I've also never heard of anyone using it. Makes you wonder why. My only concern would be how hard it is...although that shouldn't be a huge issue for an arboreal...

Edit: After a bit of a search, what I turned up is that unsealed bamboo molds easily. Sealing it in a way that would be non-toxic to the T would be the hurdle.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
couldnt u just use standard drying process, if already dried and ment for a tropical maybe sealant ment for like boats? i know this is how i made my own diy clay hides for pythons :p gives about same feel and shine as those bamboo poles you find in a store XD plus no mold.. tho i do know some ppl used silicone but that just sounds weird lmaoo

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I actually just rehoused my C. andersoni into a hide with a large bamboo stalk as a hide. This is about a week ago, and from I can tell, he loves the hide. It's quite large in diameter (about 4" of open space inside), and was originally bought years ago as decoration. It's already completely filled with webbing. But, as others have said, I know that bamboo molds easily. I wouldn't use it with a species that likes it really humid, personally.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
unsealed bamboo molds easily.
It sure does... I use it in my Paraphysa parvula and Centruroides sculpturatus tanks with no mold at all - they are both arid species. Just sand the edges.

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you all very much for the imput . I think I will try it in my arid enclosures , and will sand the edges (thank you telepatella)
Cheers