first time shipping a T. how's this look?

gobey

Arachnoknight
So I'm sending out a 2-2.5" MM "chilean gold burst" or Euthlus parvulus but apparently still a Paraphysa parvula to most.

Anyways I've never done this before. I'm replicating the way my terrestrial NW Ts have been shipped to me. As well as an adult female OBT.

How's this look? Since the T is quite small I made the hole quite snug. I want to make sure he's safe and sound.

Now I haven't misted the towels yet. Should I remove and mist each towel And set it back up that way before I get him in there tomorrow? Or just mist the whole thing setup as it is?

I have the box and packing material figured out as I always saved those.

Here's the T and his first class seat for tomorrow.

Attachments

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks ok, though I would pack the towels tighter. I see two holes in the lid, but are there holes in the deli cup too? Yes, spray the paper towels individually as you place them. I follow the video from RobC and all of mine have arrived just fine and yours will too
That video:
[YOUTUBE]/watch?v=O3cKX6y1NhI[/YOUTUBE]

gobey

Arachnoknight
Lol I watched his videos and a ton of others. There are indeed holes in the cup. And large ones at the bottom like the cover. It was a container they I received a 4" OBT in.

I'll add another towel to pack it tight and wet them individually. Thanks!

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like your backdrop! Too much paper towel defeats the purpose, you want some give in it.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I like your backdrop! Too much paper towel defeats the purpose, you want some give in it.
Ok. So is what I have good? Or too much? I think the hole there looks snug and secure, while also not being tight and packed. He's a tiny fellow. So I figured make the spider hole smaller.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it looks good from what I can see. I trust you read the part of that book about your endeavor - no ricocheting. Check the weather for its route, package accordingly and pray to the carrier gods for thoughtful package handling;) Good luck!

PS, pretty spider! My girl-PP is almost ready for mate...

Last edited:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Looks fine to me, all you need to accomplish is a fairly snug pocket for the T to ride in and not be bounced around. Lightly mist the paper towels so they are moist, but not dripping.

I like the tarantula packing video that Steven Stamps put out

[video=youtube;VYpDQqmp1Lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpDQqmp1Lc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

gobey

Arachnoknight
Done! Is hidey hole is just snug enough for his size.

Boy was that an ordeal. I don't know how you guys who ship old worlds do it.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Done! Is hidey hole is just snug enough for his size.

Boy was that an ordeal. I don't know how you guys who ship old worlds do it.
Everybody needs a source for an adrenaline rush
Some people sky dive
Some folks bungee jump
Me, I package old world tarantulas for shipping :unsure:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Skip he was not happy about going to California.

I was like "dude don't you want to get laid? I've had a dry spell for so long I'd go to California to get laid! "

He's on his way now. :)

/\
Stamps Tarantulas video was very educational. That's what I'm following to the "T" (pun intended) next time. Catch cup with hole, right to packing. That will save me a lot of hassle. I took some hairs and played a little too long game of corral the tarantula. Much harder than a rehousing.

He kicked a LOT. Poor guy. One persons video of coaxing an M. balfiouri (sp?) into the shipping containers hole made it look easy. But no this little guy went on a maybe 10-15 minute adventure. Twice too he was pretty much in the hole, and just jumped right out. Spry little guy. Never a threat pose or bite though, just hair, and he pooped a bit.

I'll stress the next one out less next time. That's a brilliant method.

Anyways hope he arrives safe and can return such too! I really enjoy him. Even though he almost kicked himself bald in my bathroom!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Gobey, you made me laugh.

Keep us updated Skippydude, I am really pulling for a successful breeding!! Hope it all works out for both of y'all! (and maybe me;P)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Gobey, you made me laugh.

Keep us updated Skippydude, I am really pulling for a successful breeding!! Hope it all works out for both of y'all! (and maybe me;P)
I'm curious to see what this produces. I read a report from a while back of a breeding that produced like less than 20 slings! I'll be happy even if I just get a few to make sure I can have a couple of this species to keep. :)

But hopefully there's some for you too!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Everybody needs a source for an adrenaline rush
Some people sky dive
Some folks bungee jump
Me, I package old world tarantulas for shipping :unsure:
I will some day receive a T package from you skip, you can bank on it!