Hole dweller

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It only took 2 years to get him/her to pose. It relocated it's hole again, Hole Mk III, and was doing morning porch improvements.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
...Someone pinch me. The long awaited mystery spider is revealed?!

-JohnD.

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm thinking of calling it Patience.
Now that you all have had two years to calculate things, what be it? It's funny, when I saw it's legs a year ago they were dark brown. Turned black from molts?

The Snark

Old Timer
The boss has positively identified it: "Really fast, tastes like sweet very tender chicken. We used to eat them all the time roasted in the fire."
I've forbidden her to get within 5 meters of the hole.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
The boss has positively identified it: "Really fast, tastes like sweet very tender chicken. We used to eat them all the time roasted in the fire."
I've forbidden her to get within 5 meters of the hole.
haha.. it's all fun and games till your SO eats your tarantula collection.. o_O

The Snark

Old Timer
Well, it has been confirmed, local style, as to what it is. Information relevant to the locals and all you really need to know in their opinion. Very common, very fast and lots of bitey. Get a kid to catch them as they have faster reflexes.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Huh. I've always kept my Haplos in at least 8"-12" of top soil - now I'll keep them in marinade for Monday Night Football. I'll make a game of it. Half will be roasted and half will be alive and pissed.

The Snark

Old Timer
On a different note, I find it rather amusing all the discussion of housing critters like this, and what substrate and what humidity and how hot and cold and on and on.
Now check out Patience. Moved when it's home got flooded off and on for several weeks. Carved a new hole around a foot deep in compacted clay which is dripping wet goo. It has been here for 2 years and doing fine with weather getting down to around 40F at night for a nearly a month once and over 100F during the day for several months. It's had it's burrow partly dug up by dogs on 2 occasions, smushed shut 2 or 3 times, and somehow has defied numerous ant invasions and termite burrowing incursions.
I can't help but wonder if maybe all the pampering critters in collections get just might be a little counter productive at times.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glad to see persistence pays off. Great spider well worth the wait. Thanks for update now I can check this off the list. It's kept me intrigued for months. Thanks

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yeah the hobby defs over does husbandry work, I shutter every time I see people cooking their dirt, the only thing that does is kill all the goodies in the dirt that keeps things in the tank exploding, so when you do get something bad they're gonna have a field day in your enclosure because everything good in the dirt has been killed off.

The Snark

Old Timer
Yeah the hobby defs over does husbandry work, I shutter every time I see people cooking their dirt, the only thing that does is kill all the goodies in the dirt that keeps things in the tank exploding, so when you do get something bad they're gonna have a field day in your enclosure because everything good in the dirt has been killed off.
Unbalanced ecosystems. Sometimes the ideal terrarium/tank can become the perfect incubator for exceptionally nasty organisms. Around here, in and around our house, it's a white powdery fungi that lives in wood and leaf debris. Completely harmless and a common food source in the forest environment but in the house any and everything wood grows it and it is a serious hazard to mammals lungs. We go through a couple of gallons of powerful fungicide every year just keeping it in check.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't believe I remember that old thread too. Fav song too, "Hole Dweller, you've been gone to long in the midnight sea..." something like that. Minax, have to look that up.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Unbalanced ecosystems. Sometimes the ideal terrarium/tank can become the perfect incubator for exceptionally nasty organisms. Around here, in and around our house, it's a white powdery fungi that lives in wood and leaf debris. Completely harmless and a common food source in the forest environment but in the house any and everything wood grows it and it is a serious hazard to mammals lungs. We go through a couple of gallons of powerful fungicide every year just keeping it in check.
I don't have a mold/fungi problem but I can't use bark in my tanks, they just mold so hard it's ridiculous, wood is perfectly find though.

Gel

Arachnoknight
On a different note, I find it rather amusing all the discussion of housing critters like this, and what substrate and what humidity and how hot and cold and on and on.
Now check out Patience. Moved when it's home got flooded off and on for several weeks. Carved a new hole around a foot deep in compacted clay which is dripping wet goo. It has been here for 2 years and doing fine with weather getting down to around 40F at night for a nearly a month once and over 100F during the day for several months. It's had it's burrow partly dug up by dogs on 2 occasions, smushed shut 2 or 3 times, and somehow has defied numerous ant invasions and termite burrowing incursions.
I can't help but wonder if maybe all the pampering critters in collections get just might be a little counter productive at times.
I agree completely. Spiders are hardier then we give them credit for. There's a reason they've been around for millions of years.

The Snark

Old Timer
Back in business, sort of. The hole dweller produced an egg sack back in April this year then sack and mom vanished, hole abandoned.

We now have 3 new little 1 1/4 inch holes, webbed, within 15 feet of the old hole.:)

The Snark

Old Timer
Update. The yard now has these two new holes. One near where the mom was, the one that is sticking it's feet out. It is quite a bit slimmer, more spindly legged than the others I've seen. I thought I saw swollen palps. It must be a bug buffet right now as neither hole stays webbed for more than 12 hours.

Hole about <-45mm->

Lens cap: <-60mm-> Largest hole I've seen so far around here.

The Snark

Old Timer
An update.
Have been seeing this little spork half way out of his hole nearly every day for a week. Two days ago he looked pathetic. It had been raining heavily every day for a week and his hole is next to the drip line of the house eaves. He was covered in water droplets and peering down into his hole it had become a swimming pool, nearly full of water.
This AM the water has drained out but he is still coming almost entirely out of his hole. I'm reasonably certain to dry himself more and help the hole dry out.
I say 'He' as a couple of people experienced with the local Minax have told me the male is bolder, the legs and body more thin and spindly. It is my hope he has paid a visit to the dweller of the giant hole some 40 feet away. Midnight rambler?