Patience IS a virtue

MikeInNC

Arachnopeon
After losing one of my two, mature, male GBB's a few months ago, I purchased a B Smithi sling (3/8"). After a meal or two and one molt, I put the B Smithi in an enclosure which may have been just a little big for it (a Container Store box - small, but still around 8x and 12x larger than its leg span.

It ate once while in that larger enclosure and then promptly burrowed and disappeared. The only indication of life I had was when substrate material shifted.

I hadn't seen the sling in about a month. I continued to add a few drops of water onto the substrate every day or two and toss in a teeny-tiny cricket (head pinched to immobilize it - just in case). Week after week - the cricks were semi-alive/dead - so I put them down and disposed of them. A couple days ago I was >THIS< close to asking for opinions as to whether or not I should dig down to search for Schroedinger's Tarantula which I figured was dead at the bottom of a deep borrow.

Yesterday I woke up, checked on the T's (which I do before even hitting the showers) and, "TAAA DAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!" The Smithi opened up the entrance to its burrow! Looking around with a flashlight, there he/she was! He/she was like, "What the hell!" and scrambled around - so I turned off the light.

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!! :)

He/she went back underground but I chucked in a tiny cricket (which it didn't come up for a couple days before). A few hours later, the tiny crick was gone.

So, once again, T's have taught me that I need to very patient with T's. Mother Nature actually DOES know what she's doing.........

That's what I've learned and, for any other newbies out there, I hope this helps. This hobby can be just as frustrating as it is rewarding :) :) :)

-Mike in SC

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I have a sling that has been under ground for 6-7 weeks. It molted on 8-2 above ground then dug a burrow that week and it has been hiding ever since. Glad this isn't my only T or I would be going nuts! It's sibling has been out 24/7 since I got them. Glad yours finally came above ground! :)

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
Schroedinger's Tarantula! That's gold. I agree though, I have never had much patience, sometimes I feel like premolt last forevvvver, or that I will never see my Ts. Today I caught my Smithi cleaning his feet & took THREE videos & countless photos just to remind myself that he's not a pet rock 100% of the time :p Once a T molts, or feeds, or comes out of hiding, or just plain MOVES for once, the reward is definitely there.

MikeInNC

Arachnopeon
iemmaamme - "Thank you!" Having appreciated/understood that bit of nerd-dom, you have inspired me........ "Schroedinger" is now that B. Smithi's name (whether male, or female). Thank you for that moment of enlightenment :)

-Mike in SC