G. Rosea moist substrate questions

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
So about a week ago, I picked up my first Tarantula from my local trustworthy pet shop. A healthy Grammostola rosea . Now, I used plantation soil from a brick, which is just coconut husk fibres. I used water to churn it up in a bucket, and set up my enclosure with it. Since I didn't plan on getting the T until a few days later, I just figured it would dry out. When the day came, the top layer was dried out, so I figured there would be no harm in it. It has been a week since then, and she is showing typical signs of "New terrarium syndrome" with the typical wall hugging and climbing. But I have caught her standing with all 8 legs on the substrate. Now I have read that the smallest amount of excess moisture can piss off a G. Rosea, and as the substrate is still a little damp deep down, could this be a bad thing?

MagicalLobster

Arachnosquire
Feel it out. In my experience new T's tend to climb on the walls for the first week or two in their enclosure. G. roseas like it bone dry, though. If the problem persists think about adding a bit of dry coco fiber to the top of the substrate.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
Yeah that's what I've heard, so I'm not too worried about the climbing. But the top layer is already dry, so does that mean it should be alright?

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
Here is a picture of her terrarium complete with the wanna-be arboreal fuzz ball in the top left corner if you look hard enough. :laugh:
image.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
It should dry pretty quick in a kk, I personally wouldn't bother because at least the top is dry. If a fast was going to be triggered, it likely would have by now and a new enclosure, even a dry one, doesn't often have the desired effect to snap them back into feeding...at least for mine. Has it taken any food since you got it?

If it has, no worries, same if it hasn't, unless its thin or in poor shape.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Rosies do like it bone dry, yes, but some moisture won't kill them. It's not like it never rains in the wild. Just keep an eye out for an overly stressed spider - curling for days on end and not eating are the common ones. My first tarantula was a rosie, and I did the exact same thing you did. I was actually quite a bit worse, I made every typical mistake in the book. Three years later, she's as healthy as can be. This species is quite resilient, great one to learn on. I know mine put up with a whole lot of nonsense, but she stuck with me!

You seemed to avoid a lot of the newbie mistakes, the only real one being the moist substrate (which you recognized). No high places to climb, no sharp edges, not an overly large enclosure, you even have a water dish in there. Great setup, your rosie will be quite happy there once it fully dries out.

By the way, as others have said, it may just be stressed from the new enclosure. My GBB spends a week clinging to the top whenever it's put into a new enclosure, but they always acclimate.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
Has it taken any food since you got it?.
Yes, she has taken a few crickets without hesitation. I have a video of her taking one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhn5vd-wLaQ&index=1&list=UUOIgvcJH6VHjyPdkuKp4ukg

---------- Post added 09-21-2014 at 12:51 AM ----------

Rosies do like it bone dry, yes, but some moisture won't kill them. It's not like it never rains in the wild. Just keep an eye out for an overly stressed spider - curling for days on end and not eating are the common ones. My first tarantula was a rosie, and I did the exact same thing you did. I was actually quite a bit worse, I made every typical mistake in the book. Three years later, she's as healthy as can be. This species is quite resilient, great one to learn on. I know mine put up with a whole lot of nonsense, but she stuck with me!

You seemed to avoid a lot of the newbie mistakes, the only real one being the moist substrate (which you recognized). No high places to climb, no sharp edges, not an overly large enclosure, you even have a water dish in there. Great setup, your rosie will be quite happy there once it fully dries out.

By the way, as others have said, it may just be stressed from the new enclosure. My GBB spends a week clinging to the top whenever it's put into a new enclosure, but they always acclimate.
Yeah I did alot of research before jumping straight into the hobby. Thanks for the tips everyone

cold blood

Staff member
She's already eaten a few times, I wouldn't worry in this case. Like mentioned, you did you a good job with the set-up otherwise....that moisture isn't major, it will be just fine in a few days.