Scorpions through the mail

J03L

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I had a quick question about sending scorpions through the mail in the united States. Most carriers do not allow scorpions to be sent through the mail, however there are numerous sites and classifieds that offer shipping. What is the most recommend way of going about this? Thanks in advance :)

Let me clarify a bit more, I am not asking about the preparation of the package (I already researched this part) but more along the lines of getting the package through with out breaking rules

Last edited:

Scuttlebutt

Arachnosquire
We all follow the rules here on arachnoboards, and never, never ship any arachnids through the three major carriers without telling them what is really inside :wink:

J03L

Arachnopeon
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol my main concern is when the package goes through the x-ray machine,they see what's inside, and "properly dispose of it" I know people just drop it off and declare it as something else. My main concern is the animals safety

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol my main concern is when the package goes through the x-ray machine,they see what's inside, and "properly dispose of it" I know people just drop it off and declare it as something else. My main concern is the animals safety
think hes being sarcastic tho it doesnt hurt to be honest i get fish in the mail all the time labeled "live fish" and plants "live plants" iv also had "live bugs" "live feeders" or my personal favorite "non-deceased aqua flora"

i know fedex told me you need a permit to ship live animals. then iv heard usda can get ahold of your order [only heard of this in ups ones] tho most ppl ik ship usps they ask no questions iv told them befor i had a reptile in them they gave no care

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

I think the point was, discuss only legal methods here on Arachnoboards! :)

I've made that mistake in the past!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You could contact Kelly Swift, Ken the Bug Guy, or some others. They ship all the time and are usually pretty timely with their email replies.

J03L

Arachnopeon
think hes being sarcastic tho it doesnt hurt to be honest i get fish in the mail all the time labeled "live fish" and plants "live plants" iv also had "live bugs" "live feeders" or my personal favorite "non-deceased aqua flora"

i know fedex told me you need a permit to ship live animals. then iv heard usda can get ahold of your order [only heard of this in ups ones] tho most ppl ik ship usps they ask no questions iv told them befor i had a reptile in them they gave no care
Thanks pyro, I liked the prices of the usps better so I think ill go with them. I'm trying to start selling centruroides sculpturatus, because overall they are a hardy, low maintenance, high tolerance of temperatures, species. Besides the painful sting I believe that they are a good novice pet. I ,(like any other person) am trying to gather as much information about this to make an informed decision. These guys should have no problem going through. Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

Randomjoe

Arachnopeon
You might want to check usps rules scorpions might be against there rules for shipping, and if so and they catch it i believe they can go after you in court over it. At least thats why i heard thats why so many use fedex and ups for T's.

J03L

Arachnopeon
All three major carriers prohibit the mailing of scorpions. I am trying to find out who is the most lenient so I can possibly send some out. Thank you randomjoe for the insight!

Gregg M

Arachnopeon
I'm trying to start selling centruroides sculpturatus, because overall they are a hardy, low maintenance, high tolerance of temperatures, species. Besides the painful sting I believe that they are a good novice pet
I would have to disagree on this. They are not a good novice species for a few reasons. They are fast, quick to sting, and their stings have caused fatalities. A good rule of thumb to follow. Any species that has an antivenin is probably not a good novice species.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I would agree that they are not a good beginner species either because of their speed , they are quick to sting and excellent climbers/escape artists

J03L

Arachnopeon
Yes they are very fast but quick to sting, I don't believe they are. Sure if you pin it down its going sting however gregg there have been no deaths from them since the 1970's. I belive the last death was back in 1964? Since these are a desert species they are super finicky on what they use their venom on. Most of the time its a "dry sting". Novice might not be the best word I agree there, you most likely need some previous experience. I have a communal group of 13 in a 40 gallon glass aquarium, they are far from escape artists! Lol most of the time they just crawl around and wait for their next meal. Surprisingly they are very shy but can be held, you just have to be very cautious. I appreciate the two of you for replying to this thread!

Gregg M

Arachnopeon
How long have you actually been keeping them? I have been keeping them and a few species of Centruroides on and off for about 20 years. By nature, yes, they are quite shy, however, once you keep them in your home in a glass cage, there is no way they can avoid you. They will not be finicky when it comes to defending themselves. And they can escape an all glass aquarium by crawling up the silicon bead. I have seen them do this a dozen times and that is the reason I now keep them in clear plastic bins. Regardless of when the last death was caused by the species, the fact remains that they still have deaths attributed to the species. So the potential is there. It is the most venomous scorpion in North America. Like I said, they even still make an antivenin for the species. If it were not needed, they would not make it. Not a beginner or novice species.

J03L

Arachnopeon
Wow crawling up the silicon? Haha thats crazy! It just goes to show the intelligence of these animals! I know they make anti venom, its made at Asu. Generally administered to children and elderly. Yes you have made your point and have valid reasons behind it, and I agree with you. I was looking at it on the care perspective, you with your 20+ years experience might agree that as far care goes these scorpions are very basic and easy to care for. That's why I said novice, I didn't look at it from your view.

Gregg M

Arachnopeon
Yes, I do agree that care wise they are as easy as scorpions can get. And in the proper hands they can be very rewarding.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I have noticed that centruroides can be pretty docile though. just dont handle them. And keep in mind, they can stand on their absurdly long tails.

J03L

Arachnopeon
I don't handle them normally, I did once just to see if I could. I have observed them first hand using their tails to boost up The bark in the enclosure, its quite peculiar.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
J03L,

I assume these carriers are more worried about drugs and other things being shipped that they aren't looking nor really care about some well packed scorpions, I've been around the hobby for a while and can't even remember the last time I heard something about shipping issues...

Cheers,

Rob

J03L

Arachnopeon
I've never looked at it that way, and it actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the reassurance Rob.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the fact remains that they still have deaths attributed to the species. So the potential is there. It is the most venomous scorpion in North America.
^ not a fact unless you change it to America. The Caribbean and Mexico have much more dangerous species. And due to the many decades without a fatality, I assume that the original report was incorrect, or was allergic reaction they attributed to systemic reaction incorrectly.

@op, you shouldn't do anything illegal, ever, even though your average American commits two felonies a day in this police state according to WSJ. But the reality is, most Arachnids, are shipped illegally. A large majority. Don't do it. But that's what is happening. It's forced on most people. You really don't have many options.