GBB lost interest in her sac.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Just 4 days after laying it,my GBB put down her sac and left it.I thought this would quickly pass,but after 5 hours,she never picked it back up.I offered her a cockroach,and she took it,ate it,and went about her business,not going back to the sac.I even took the sac with her next to it.Nothing,no defense posture,no spaz attack,nothing.I had a mechanical mom ready to go,so I put the sac in there.She seems to not even notice.I know it should be a good sac,I got to see her make it,and put her eggs in it,and layer silk over them.Has this happened to anyone else?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like a terrible mother or a bad sac to me. Also there's way more to a bad sac than a female making one. Congrats on the gbb sac by the way!!! :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
if you think its good incubate it yourself id say. if its even possible, even 1% posisble its a bad sack. it probably is.. but incubating it wont hurt. someone here does theirs with automatic timers from the store [$5] a tote/tank with a water resivour for humidity and a pill bottle for the sack glued to the timer [it turns if u dont know]. its that easy ;P

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
056.jpg
I have a mechanical mom,it's what the sac is in now.I'm gonna pull after 30 days and put them in an incubator.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I know it should be a good sac,I got to see her make it,and put her eggs in it,and layer silk over them.Has this happened to anyone else?
That's how you know it's a 'good sac?' They do that with every sac, good or bad. They start out with the best of intentions, but if eggs start going bad (for a variety of reasons), and/or slings start dying, or the eggs weren't fertilized, then regardless of how promising things looked out of the starting gate, the sac can go bad.

In discarded sacs, there's typically some dead eggs/slings, which will contaminate the ones they're touching and eventually spread to the rest of the clutch. Since the female can smell the beginning of decay, but can't open it and remove the bad eggs/slings, she has a two options: eat it or pitch it. In some cases you can still salvage some eggs/slings by opening the sac and removing the bad (black) ones. With her abandoning her sac within a few days, I wouldn't be too optimistic.