New T, first T.

Katie779

Arachnopeon
Received my first T almost 2 weeks ago and she's doing great. A 3" B. albopilosum.
10689885_10152753962866747_4942964484895022804_n.jpg

Cup is a temporary hide. First one I put in was much too big, so I switched to the cup for the time being.

I was just wondering about feeding habits. My little girl (Pepper) has fed twice already (first meal I gave her was fairly small, so I gave her a bigger meal yesterday).
I've fed her at night but she won't hunt, so I've been pre-killing and leaving the food in until the following morning. She seems to refuse to eat with any lights on at all.
Is it alright to keep pre-killing for her if that's what's working, or should I try different feeders until I find something she'll hunt down?

I apologize in advance for my noob questions, as there will probably be more to come.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
If you put one end of the cup fully submerged into the substrate you can use it as a permanent hide IMO.

Put a small cricket in her tank and leave it over night. If she doesn't eat it, keep on feeding pre-killed until the next molt. If she's eating, even if it's pre-killed, if shouldn't matter if you want to feed it something else, that's fully up to you. Good luck.

Katie779

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I figured it was no big deal as long as she eats.

I actually had the cup more submerged and, being the little bulldozer she is, pushed all the dirt out and to the sides of the cup. lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It should be mentioned that if they don't immediately go after a feeder insect, that doesn't mean they aren't hungry or will only eat pre-killed. I've raised many a sling that simply won't hunt right away, but once the lid is closed again it didn't take them longer than 5 minutes to realize there's food available. I'd try it at some point, throw in an appropriately sized cricket or pinhead, close the lid and just watch for a while. Unless that T isn't hungry, she will hunt.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby, Katie. :)

That's a great starter T you have. The Curly Hair is probably THE most underrated T in the hobby, in my opinion. They don't have the striking colours of some of the other species, but I think they more than make up for it in their hardiness, their docility (is that a word? :) ), and how active they are. I have 3 ( 2 X 1/4", and a 2 inch unsexed juvie). Dee Dee the juvie is quite entertaining. She attacks the stream of water every time I refill her water cap. :)

Everyone here on the boards will tell you that I wave the G. pulchra banner pretty heavily. When you feel you are ready for a second T (trust us, they are addicting, so I highly doubt you'll be stopping at one), give the pulchra a look. They have the same traits as B. albopilosum, get to be about the same size, and are jet black when they mature. They are quite a bit more pricey than some of the other New Worlds, but they are definitely worth every penny.

This is my pulchra, Bithia. She just molted a couple of weeks ago, and is 3.5" DLS. Good luck, and don't be shy, we're all here to help. :)

Attachments