New to scorpions.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Hello, I've been reading about scorpions for a while now and decided to purchase a WC adult Pandinus imperator (I think it's spelt correctly) and was wondering what species can live at 65f at night to 73f during the day during winter, and 72f at night and 76f during the day since I don't have any heated spaces left. The only other ones that I've heard of that might survive are Babycurus gigas and B.jacksoni. It would also be great if they don't have venom strong enough to kill you. Thanks, Bryce.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorps are pretty adaptable. Might not be the best environment, temp-wise, but most will do fine. I generally keep the house around 70 through the winter, and my Androcs have done great. Just consider what you are really looking for and what you feel capable of keeping. If you have questions regarding care or on certain species, this is the place to get it. And, no worries...if you are a healthy adult, none will kill you. Maybe give you some hurt, but you won't die. ;)

Hope that helps.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Scorps are pretty adaptable. Might not be the best environment, temp-wise, but most will do fine. I generally keep the house around 70 through the winter, and my Androcs have done great. Just consider what you are really looking for and what you feel capable of keeping. If you have questions regarding care or on certain species, this is the place to get it. And, no worries...if you are a healthy adult, none will kill you. Maybe give you some hurt, but you won't die. ;)

Hope that helps.
Ok thanks. I'm turning 15 soon so I'll probably stay to less venomous species for now.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah...probably a good idea. Being "new" to scorps, I'll reiterate something you likely already know about your imperator. They LOVE to burrow. Give it a very thick substrate of coco-earth, or something similar, and keep it somewhat moist. They come from a fairly humid environment. You may not see it much, but it will be happy that way. ;)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P imperator may survive at those temps but may not thrive. NA species may do better at those temps. Appropriate sized heat mat on the side of the tank should give you adequate temps. P imps also need higher humidity and plenty of substrate to burrow.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
P imperator may survive at those temps but may not thrive. NA species may do better at those temps. Appropriate sized heat mat on the side of the tank should give you adequate temps. P imps also need higher humidity and plenty of substrate to burrow.
I actually have a tank set up on my leopard geckos tank so that the temp reaches 75f on the cool side and 82f on the warm side. What species would you recommend then?

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 12:11 AM ----------

Ah...probably a good idea. Being "new" to scorps, I'll reiterate something you likely already know about your imperator. They LOVE to burrow. Give it a very thick substrate of coco-earth, or something similar, and keep it somewhat moist. They come from a fairly humid environment. You may not see it much, but it will be happy that way. ;)
I'm fine with it being burrowed most of the time. I'm fairly accustomed to it with some of my tarantulas (Ceratogyrus sp, Haplopelma sp, Ephebopus sp, Hysterocrates sp, ect as well as my Lithobius forticatus).

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your question is all on you, man. If you can warm the tank, the sky is the limit. I am personally fond of Androctonus and Parabuthus species. But, it's on you to do research and determine what you like best. What I like may not be what you like. Scorps are a LOT of fun. :)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Well are there any NA species that you recommend? I'm going to an expo on the 4th and 5th to pick some stuff up and was going to also pick up a scorpion there. Thanks, Bryce.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
FYI. for H. arizonensis, you'll need a large enclosure, an actual tank, 10 gallon would suffice. They're so huge they'll need at least 5" of substrate.

They're very active burrowers, so eventually, if the substrate is too shallow, it will eventually collapse on them.

Smeringurus mesaensis is a wonderful species that doesnt require stable substrate, and does fine on quikset playsand.