Mantis identification 2

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I found a female mantis, with wings. Problem is, i cant identify it. Also, the male i had died due to complications. Can you identify what it is? it is about 2.25 inches and i live in Arizona. And will it feed the next day and live in a mini kritter keeper? IMG_5867.jpg IMG_5879.jpg IMG_5877.jpg

Attachments

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Mantis religiosa, European mantis. She should do fine in a KK, and if she seems settled in by tomorrow she'll eat!

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also try misting the sides of the container a bit just in case she is thirsty. The deli cup is just as good as the critter keeper, so need to move the mantis.

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
I think Tenodera is right on the id.
You can feed it crickets, but it doesn't hurt to add some things like flies every once in a while. Put a paper towel in there somewhere and keep it moist. The mantis will suck the water from it.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mantis religiosa, European mantis.
I don't see characteristic black spot on the front femur, near coxa. I think it may be another species (or North American populations of M. religiosa have different coloration).

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Ooh, Raptor, you're right! I thought I saw it, but looking at it again I don't. That leaves Iris oratoria, which does come in tan and lives in Arizona.

By the way, the spot is on the coxa, not the femur. It's confusing on mantids because the front coxae are so enlarged and the whole leg functions differently, but the femur is the "middle" section with the movable spines.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(...)

By the way, the spot is on the coxa, not the femur. It's confusing on mantids because the front coxae are so enlarged and the whole leg functions differently, but the femur is the "middle" section with the movable spines.
You are right too :) I see that spend too much time with beetles :p

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
That's likely Iris oratoria, the mediterranean mantid, which absolutely thrives in the southwest deserts. They're actually a good hardy species that can go a long time without food and water, and they get fairly large.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Where can I find a Mediterranean mantis egg case or adult. Is it a female or male? I am not sure. Also, are they invasive? Looks like the last mantid I had captured is that to.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Looks female to me, probably not gravid though. I counted six visbible abdominal segments and I think I can see her ovipositor, mantids are easy to sex by looking at the end of the abdomen. They are technically invasive, introduced from overseas, but I don't know if they've had any appreciable ecological impact. Bugguide says that its range is expanding.
I don't know if this species has a preference about where it lays, but I would guess that oothecae could be found on walls and sturdy plants, maybe rocks and logs.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Looks female to me, probably not gravid though. I counted six visbible abdominal segments and I think I can see her ovipositor, mantids are easy to sex by looking at the end of the abdomen. They are technically invasive, introduced from overseas, but I don't know if they've had any appreciable ecological impact. Bugguide says that its range is expanding.
I don't know if this species has a preference about where it lays, but I would guess that oothecae could be found on walls and sturdy plants, maybe rocks and logs.
They probably do suppress a few species with their ability to go long times without food or water. Many of our native species in the southwest are more agile and quick, like ground mantids, which are active and run their prey down.. I'd say stagmomantis is probably the one mantid species in danger of extirpation, should iris' numbers get out of hand. Fortunately, lots of animals like to eat them :D

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I need a male to breed them. And how do i attract mantids? i live in the phoenix area. Not in the center. Also, it flew in the house when i held it? How do i prevent it?

Last edited: