Considering A. Diversipes - but have concerns

SkyThing

Arachnopeon
Hello, well it's been a long time since I've been on here. So, I'm looking for a little advice.

I currently have 3 happy, healthy, and stubborn as all get out tarantulas (B. Smithi, G. Rosea, and G. Pulchripes) and have been keeping tarantulas for 4-5 years or so. I'm looking to add a fourth to my furry collection, and I feel like it would make a nice change to get an Avic, or another tarantula that webs a bit more than my current ones. Primarily, I am looking at getting an Avicularia Diversipes, but I have read conflicting information on whether they are difficult to care for or not. Following are my concerns about caring for this species.

1. Humidity/heat requirements. My house gets down to 30% humidity in the winter and 70 F. Unfortunately I do not control the temperature and heat lamps are not an option. I am happy misting or whatever needs done as long as I know what to do. I have cared for a variety of other invertebrates previously, some of which had humidity requirements.
2. Frequency of care. While at college, which is a good chunk of the year, I take care of my Ts 5 days a week. This is because I cannot easily get into the science building to care for them over weekends (though of course I feed them and leave them water on Friday). While theoretically I could call security to get into the building, I think any species that cannot survive without being left for a few days might not be a good choice for me.

That's really it, and those would be my concerns with any new tarantula. Any other tidbits of information you have on diversipes would be welcome as well. I want to make sure I can give any new addition proper care.

The pet store I was thinking of purchasing the sling from has the following other species within my price range, so if any of those sound like they would be a better fit, please feel free to tell me.

B. Albopilosum, Paraphya scrofa, Acanthoscurria geniculata, Brazilopelma colloratvillosum

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't like being one that says do this or don't do that, but since you asked...out of the list you provided, my favourite would be the Acanthoscurria geniculata. In reality, I'd still much rather see you get an OW species. ;) But, seriously, get what you want and be happy. Enjoy the Avic if that's what you decide to do.

As far as care goes, just maintain the humidity and it should be fine. Leaving it over the weekend is no big deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Randomjoe

Arachnopeon
how big is the A. Diversipes? Avicularia slings can be more difficult than adalts but i have 3 A. Metalicas and wouldn't say its to bad. The room my T's are in is 72 year round and the oldest of the 3 has went from .5" when i got it to about 2" now.If you want to get a better idea go to youtube and watch Sturmy76 video "how to raise avicularia spp. slings?". that what I did and I haven't notice any problems. Also i have a couple Acanthoscurria Geniculata slings and they have been easy so far to raise, the only time they ever refuse food is when they're about to molt.If your looking for T that webs heavy might could also consider a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens they have a good feeding response and tend to web more. good luck on whatever you choose

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd advise against getting an OW species. If you want to eventually get into Old Worlds, I'd recommend getting a psalmo. They're a good bridge between NW and OW. They have the speed and attitude of many OW species, but lack the strong venom.

I would recommend a GBB, as they're quick and skittish, but not what I'd consider super fast nor defensive. I second the statement that they have great appetites. Mine literally tackles and wrestles with its prey. A. diversipes is one of the faster-moving Avics and is quite defensive for an Avic. If you want an Avic, I'd recommend A.avic, A. metallica, or maybe A. geroldi, if you can find one. If you think you can handle the diversipes, then go for it. Just be wary of the speed when opening the container during feedings, or attempting to rehouse.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. diversipes are extremely colorful as slings, but they change their looks as they mature into the adult. I wouldn't call their colors "dull" at that time, but they change to a more subtle beauty. That said, in regards to temperament they are more on the defensive side of the Avics, together with A. laeta for example. Those I raised were all quick to bolt into hiding or throw threatpostures when it came to maintenance / feeding. Not a big deal, but they are nimble and fast like all Avics :)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Your concerns about humidity are a very valid concern, but not for the reasons you'd suspect.

Genus Avicularia is a rainforest species, and being very truly arboreal, they spend their time fairly high up in the leaves and bark of their trees with plenty of breeze blowing through. While avicularia do need humidity, a good, full water dish is adequate. I myself usually make sure the bottom layer of their substrate is also moist, to try to mimic their natural environment's humidity, but in most cases a good-sized water dish is more than enough. The need for humidity for Avics is often overstated so much that people keep them with soggy and stagnant conditions. The key is to give a very good balance between humidity and ventilation. In this case, especially cross ventilation. Your enclosure should have plenty of holes on the sides to allow for adequate airflow. Beyond that, Avics are very easy to keep. Their disposition (even in the case of diversipes which is more defensive for Avics) is very mild and easy to deal with, they very rarely bite, and I've never seen one flick hairs. They'll run and shoot poo, but they aren't anything to be worried about in terms of feistiness. Don't be put off by it being a spiderling if it is, the spiderlings are every bit as easy to care for as the adults, it's just that most people who fail at keeping Avics are failing very early on in owning their spider, and usually that means spiderling. Don't let it get stuffy, and don't let it get overly dry, and you're good.