Water pillows?

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
So the other day I bought my first T. A G. rosea. The lady gave me wonderful advice, basically word for word what I've read on here. Except she tried to convince me to buy a "water pillow" for it. And that they are wonderful for allowing both my tarantula and cricket supply water to drink from. Now I've read alot of bad about sponges, and to be honest I played it safe and turned down her offer even though they were only like 50 cents each. I just thought I would bring it up on here and see if anybody knew anything about them. I think they looked something like this- http://www.petco.com/product/12128/Zilla-Cricket-Water-Pillows.aspx

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
So the other day I bought my first T. A G. rosea. The lady gave me wonderful advice, basically word for word what I've read on here. Except she tried to convince me to buy a "water pillow" for it. And that they are wonderful for allowing both my tarantula and cricket supply water to drink from. Now I've read alot of bad about sponges, and to be honest I played it safe and turned down her offer even though they were only like 50 cents each. I just thought I would bring it up on here and see if anybody knew anything about them. I think they looked something like this- http://www.petco.com/product/12128/Zilla-Cricket-Water-Pillows.aspx
im glad you turned her down..waterpillows are practicly a sponge.. its actually been used in the fish hobby as a water baffle because of it. they are just like aquatic filter media.. terrible thing. tho supposedly they work for crickets. but so does gel and fresh fruit ;) so id never use them myself. ever. iv used them for beta tanks. it was an off brand was kinda like a wire sponge/steel wool made of plastic [same knotting style] gah it was such a bad thought of ppl using these for T's herps and inverts [ppl buy for hermit crabs too sadly]

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes. Listen to Pyro. They are terrible. Tarantulas need free standing water if they are to have access to drinking water.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I bought these pillows for my dubia colony... I don't think they even use them to be honest. I'm going to get some water crystals from Lowes next week.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, bowltech has been around for centuries and it still works.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I bought these pillows for my dubia colony... I don't think they even use them to be honest. I'm going to get some water crystals from Lowes next week.
rat you and ur feeders can thank me later.. i think its harder for them to use the spongy stuff. and the stuff in link i use and typically is super fine grane and once you find a mixture you like.. your gravy, idk the exact amount i use as i have it down to a science akes a few tried to get a consistancy you may like i think if i had to gues smines like 3tsp and 16oz? idono i use a old container i have lmao.. if you get them from primo gifts and dislike them i personally will buy them from you pay for shipping and give you an additional 50% extra lol XD thats how much i love them lol lasts a while too.. and great price especially if you get the free shipping ;) im sure you can find a piece of cork or something you want for that if not its like 6bucks to ship but is a 1lb bag :eek:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
rat you and ur feeders can thank me later.. i think its harder for them to use the spongy stuff. and the stuff in link i use and typically is super fine grane and once you find a mixture you like.. your gravy, idk the exact amount i use as i have it down to a science akes a few tried to get a consistancy you may like i think if i had to gues smines like 3tsp and 16oz? idono i use a old container i have lmao.. if you get them from primo gifts and dislike them i personally will buy them from you pay for shipping and give you an additional 50% extra lol XD thats how much i love them lol lasts a while too.. and great price especially if you get the free shipping ;) im sure you can find a piece of cork or something you want for that if not its like 6bucks to ship but is a 1lb bag :eek:
Should be able to pick some up at lowes huh? or maybe at a florist shop? I went to get some in Lowes earlier today and the salesman told me they had some but, quietly, told me to go to wal mart since they'd be cheaper. Well, Wal mart doesn't sell them anymore so have to go back to Lowes next week. I'm giving them lot's off fruit and greens and being in Louisiana the humidity in this area is at least 70-75 percent most days anyways, I think it'll be ok for a week or two.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Should be able to pick some up at lowes huh? or maybe at a florist shop? I went to get some in Lowes earlier today and the salesman told me they had some but, quietly, told me to go to wal mart since they'd be cheaper. Well, Wal mart doesn't sell them anymore so have to go back to Lowes next week. I'm giving them lot's off fruit and greens and being in Louisiana the humidity in this area is at least 70-75 percent most days anyways, I think it'll be ok for a week or two.
in my experience you dont get jack compared to what i order.. most stores sell them ment for plants. but they turn up to be those big cubes like fluckers sells for crickets. mines small grain and seems to soak up alot more water per tbsp sence they are smaller [again imo plus i order it with stuff so free 2day shipping with my prime lol] so i have a tupawear container i use to hold feeder rodents to weigh. and the lid was dead space. so i use it to cover more area of my roaches to eat on. instead of just a cup lid its a 4x3 "tray" for the water [mainly in winter] so more can drink/eat their fill :) at my local walmart a 12oz is $15 lowes and others dont sell. but is large crystals :p up to you i stand on my grounds if you seriously didnt like it lmao but i dont think they need crystals so im not using at this time.. just fresh fruit no deaths for me :p

i wana say 1 tsp can make 16oz the way i make it. and a little less/more if i make it soupy [for adults] or more compact for more babies.. but idk what the bowl size i use is. i can do it by eye. just like with my incubator media [use perilite and water idk how much i know by feel and look] i used to use the chunky stuff "because your supposed to" and when i first got this grainy ones i was mad.. but it lasts 10x longer for me lmao

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
in my experience you dont get jack compared to what i order.. most stores sell them ment for plants. but they turn up to be those big cubes like fluckers sells for crickets. mines small grain and seems to soak up alot more water per tbsp sence they are smaller [again imo plus i order it with stuff so free 2day shipping with my prime lol] so i have a tupawear container i use to hold feeder rodents to weigh. and the lid was dead space. so i use it to cover more area of my roaches to eat on. instead of just a cup lid its a 4x3 "tray" for the water [mainly in winter] so more can drink/eat their fill :) at my local walmart a 12oz is $15 lowes and others dont sell. but is large crystals :p up to you i stand on my grounds if you seriously didnt like it lmao but i dont think they need crystals so im not using at this time.. just fresh fruit no deaths for me :p

i wana say 1 tsp can make 16oz the way i make it. and a little less/more if i make it soupy [for adults] or more compact for more babies.. but idk what the bowl size i use is. i can do it by eye. just like with my incubator media [use perilite and water idk how much i know by feel and look] i used to use the chunky stuff "because your supposed to" and when i first got this grainy ones i was mad.. but it lasts 10x longer for me lmao
ok cool, thanx Pyro, I'll definitely check the link out. :), got it saved for when I'm ready to order. ;)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ok cool, thanx Pyro, I'll definitely check the link out. :), got it saved for when I'm ready to order. ;)
ima take a look later this morning and see what i got left and if i have enough may have to send you an oz or 2 of my fine stuff so you can decide on your own :p

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
that's really nice... :) I found a site I can buy direct from them... http://water-sorb.com/index.php I think this a similar product.
the 0.8mm-1mm sounds about right might buy some of that soon, as im down to probably 1/4 or so lb of mine. woudlnt hurt to try i got plants next year that will probably need these anywho XD then i can give my entire 2cents lmao XD iv always just been "stick to whats true and fit" type mine lasted quite a while and every time i do buisness with my original guys im happy. XD

gobey

Arachnoknight
Sponges and cricket gel and the like are all supposed to be bunk for either mold growth problems or just for the plain fact that many Ts probably aren't drinking like that or at least don't need to. They can drink water just like your dog or cat would out of a dish. Well minus through a tongue.

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Sponges and cricket gel and the like are all supposed to be bunk for either mold growth problems or just for the plain fact that many Ts probably aren't drinking like that or at least don't need to. They can drink water just like your dog or cat would out of a dish. Well minus through a tongue.
yup.. I knew that lol. I'm asking about water pillows for my dubia roach colony though. ;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
yup.. I knew that lol. I'm asking about water pillows for my dubia roach colony though. ;)
Derp. Maybe I was skimming too much. And looking for a reason to show off actually catching a T taking a drink lol.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Derp. Maybe I was skimming too much. And looking for a reason to show off actually catching a T taking a drink lol.
LOL no worries. I will never forget the first time I saw Clyde in a headstand into his water dish getting a drink LOL.

gobey

Arachnoknight
LOL no worries. I will never forget the first time I saw Clyde in a headstand into his water dish getting a drink LOL.
I love when I see them do ANYTHING! But this was good. Because I was like "ok, I'm changing your water dish every day for a reason"

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I love when I see them do ANYTHING! But this was good. Because I was like "ok, I'm changing your water dish every day for a reason"
yea that deep breath you take when you know they actually are drinking it and its not all evap. LOL

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
yea that deep breath you take when you know they actually are drinking it and its not all evap. LOL
He, (Clyde), seems to drain his dish every three days or so. I top up and/or change out his water every day but yet just suddenly all of a sudden when I go to fill it it's empty.. sometimes, he's a thirsty boy. LOL

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
He, (Clyde), seems to drain his dish every three days or so. I top up and/or change out his water every day but yet just suddenly all of a sudden when I go to fill it it's empty.. sometimes, he's a thirsty boy. LOL
better then my nhadu whos in a little container with a cap he purposly grabs spagnamoss thats dry and puts it in -.- what.. a... pain... gah lmao

Last edited: