Tarantula venom and cures

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Could venom from tarantulas such as the s calceatum or a p regalis be used in experiments to find
Cures for diseases like cancer or even the ebola virus?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could venom from tarantulas such as the s calceatum or a p regalis be used in experiments to find
Cures for diseases like cancer or even the ebola virus?
First of, i would really hope it could be used with succes!
But i wonder why you mention those two tarantulas, any particular reason?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A few examples...easily found using google:

CLICK

CLICK

If you want to get a scientifical look into the venom composition, browse away => CLICK

A lot of it hasn't been explored yet, but "anything's possible"...if my memory serves me correctly, I remember some news about a year ago stating a certain protein might prove valuable to fight cancer.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
China's been doing that with Haplopelma schmidti venom. Problem with small animals that are cannibalistic is that raising them in large numbers means thousands of cages to feed and water for meager amount of venom. That's why spider silk can't be produced in commercial quantities, even though it has amazing potential uses.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
China's been doing that with Haplopelma schmidti venom. Problem with small animals that are cannibalistic is that raising them in large numbers means thousands of cages to feed and water for meager amount of venom. That's why spider silk can't be produced in commercial quantities, even though it has amazing potential uses.
I read this article posted on the forums by Shrike the other day. Very interesting stuff about using spider silk to heal the human body.

Instead of fighting the spider's cannibal instinct, and meager rate of production, Skaer's team set about creating fake spider's silk -- made from the same fibers that go into high class scarves. The team took silkworms, which produce 1000 times as much silk as a spider, and broke it down to the basic molecules.
Re-spinning this so that all the proteins are closely aligned -- just how a spider does -- creates a far stronger fiber than the silkworm can.
It's incredible what science can do! As for fighting a spider's cannibal instinct to get large amounts of venom however... That is a different story.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I don't know why spider venom wouldn't be able to be used this way... snake venom has been being researched for several applications for cancer research with tentative success.. so why NOT spider venom?

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have plans drawn up for a study to determine the effectiveness of one particular toxin as a painkiller, but that has yet to come to fruition for me.

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 06:31 PM ----------

Makes you wonder if it would be worthwhile to sequence the genome and put the genes for venom production into some bacteria.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I have this feeling if scientists out there studied the venom of the s calceatum, that could be very useful in major in finding
cures for many of our worlds major diseases.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have this feeling if scientists out there studied the venom of the s calceatum, that could be very useful in major in finding
What makes you think that? Because it is potent? There's no basis to assume a potent venom is more useful than a less potent one. I don't understand your assumption, sorry.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That doesn't seem valid. A venom itself isn't particularly useful, it is the toxins in a venom that can be medically useful. Also, venom potency isn't a good metric for deducing the medical efficacy of something.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Think about it, the calceatum from what i hear, is about as crazy as a pit bull on a diet of pedigree and purina. Many scientists probably have no
experience with tarantulas, making them stereotype the tarantula uf it decides it has the munchies, and hand is on the menu.
Most scientists will probably stray away from the study of their venom for that reason. Therefore, the tarantulas with the
Highest potency are less likely to be studied because of their temper and bite when they know it could be valuable to medical
research.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Think about it, the calceatum from what i hear, is about as crazy as a pit bull on a diet of pedigree and purina. Many scientists probably have no
experience with tarantulas, making them stereotype the tarantula uf it decides it has the munchies, and hand is on the menu.
Most scientists will probably stray away from the study of their venom for that reason. Therefore, the tarantulas with the
Highest potency are less likely to be studied because of their temper and bite when they know it could be valuable to medical
research.
There is literally nothing valid in that paragraph. A lot of VERY potent animals have been studied. You're wrong.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't know why spider venom wouldn't be able to be used this way... snake venom has been being researched for several applications for cancer research with tentative success.. so why NOT spider venom?
Apples and oranges. Snakes produce much more venom than a spider for one thing. It's also very different than spider venom, in that it contain proteins, whereas tarantula venom has peptides. Snake venoms are incredibly complex, far more than they need to be (in my cobra collecting days, I used to know two guys who did venom extraction). A snake venom may contain 30 or 40 proteins, and we don't know what most of them do. It's been likened to a grenade going off in the victim's body. Some destroy tissue, some effect the heart, some disable the nervous system, some cause pain, some cause bleeding, some cause clotting, and others may simply amplify the effects of others. Every species/subspecies of snake has a different mix of proteins in it's venom. There's enough to keep researchers busy for centuries. With all this potential, spider venoms take a back seat.

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 08:40 PM ----------

if it decides it has the munchies, and hand is on the menu.

Stromatopelma don't bite people out of hunger, it's in self-defense. Come back to reality.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
research.
You think scientists, who's very jobs are research, are going to fail to research a species and just assume temperament, venom potency, ect, before they interact with it? Seriously?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There is literally nothing valid in that paragraph. A lot of VERY potent animals have been studied. You're wrong.
Well what I think you aren't realizing is that it is way easier to handle a cobra without harming it than it is to hold a small, flighty, angry spider without hurting it. you can use a snake hook and tongs to manipulate it and pin the head down if needed on a cobra, and it's kind of hard to to that with a tarantula, don't you think? I mean, it's hundreds of times smaller then you and very easily gooshable if you're not careful. Plus they are WAY faster than a cobra in regards to escaping. Cobras can't teleport. A tarantula can.

it would be a lot safer to use a slower and more docile species with less potent venom than a P. Ornata and the like. We don't want our scientists getting hurt, right?

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well what I think you aren't realizing is that it is way easier to handle a cobra without harming it than it is to hold a small, flighty, angry spider without hurting it. you can use a snake hook and tongs to manipulate it and pin the head down if needed on a cobra, and it's kind of hard to to that with a tarantula, don't you think? I mean, it's hundreds of times smaller then you and very easily gooshable if you're not careful. Plus they are WAY faster than a cobra in regards to escaping. Cobras can't teleport. A tarantula can.

it would be a lot safer to use a slower and more docile species with less potent venom than a P. Ornata and the like. We don't want our scientists getting hurt, right?
You knock a spider out before you milk it via electrical stimulation of the checlirae.