Hmm

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When was the last time we used this cup? The pholcids are making themselves at home this year. Not just up at the ceiling. Everything we do around the house seems to involve waving away webs from arms and face. On the bright side, this little trucker calmly went back to eating that mosquito after a few minutes.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know that they're messy, but I can't help but admire these spiders for their fortitude in tackling prey that is much, much bigger than themselves. I have seen these catch large Lycosids in their webs and devour them, along with wasps and even fire ants, which are an extremely nasty parcel to deal with. Currently there is a Cellar Spider living in our kitchen, up at the ceiling above the door, and right next door to a huge female Kukulcania hibernalis who has ruled that particular roost since 2003. When she catches(or has something tossed to her, lol) a prey insect, the Pholcid actually will run over and try to steal a taste of her food, and the remarkable thing is, she doesn't try to attack the much, much smaller spider! She will just retreat into her crevice web behind a cabinet with her food in tow.

pitbulllady

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know that they're messy, but I can't help but admire these spiders for their fortitude in tackling prey that is much, much bigger than themselves. I have seen these catch large Lycosids in their webs and devour them, along with wasps and even fire ants, which are an extremely nasty parcel to deal with. Currently there is a Cellar Spider living in our kitchen, up at the ceiling above the door, and right next door to a huge female Kukulcania hibernalis who has ruled that particular roost since 2003. When she catches(or has something tossed to her, lol) a prey insect, the Pholcid actually will run over and try to steal a taste of her food, and the remarkable thing is, she doesn't try to attack the much, much smaller spider! She will just retreat into her crevice web behind a cabinet with her food in tow.

pitbulllady
My misses had a beautiful Orb weaver above her kitchen window, That is until to my horror the scream I awoke to were the cries of my Misses discovering her orb weaver had been caught and was being eaten by a celler spider

The Snark

Old Timer
They certainly are remarkable spiders and capable survivalists. I wish they were as adept at killing mosquitoes as they are at duking it out with other spiders.
I left that cup out in the stairwell and the occupant took the 20 foot plus trek through a gecko gauntlet to find a quiet corner at the ceiling.

The Snark

Old Timer
2003?? How long do they live??
Good question. Left to their own devices in a secluded spot they do a patentable bizarreness. They never clean their webs and just keep expanding. From a studio apartment to a duplex to a one bedroom starter home to a palatial mansion and in one instance, the one I taught to poop in the soap dish, a royal palace over a meter across, taking a Mark Zuckerturd extended period of times for the remodels which spanned over 3 years.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Good question. Left to their own devices in a secluded spot they do a patentable bizarreness. They never clean their webs and just keep expanding. From a studio apartment to a duplex to a one bedroom starter home to a palatial mansion and in one instance, the one I taught to poop in the soap dish, a royal palace over a meter across, taking a Mark Zuckerturd extended period of times for the remodels which spanned over 3 years.
The reason I asked is because pit said 2003. I was thinking maybe she meant 2013?

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard of Kukulcania living for over 10 years.