Blocked hide.

Annoying

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

My juvenile B. Smithi has blocked off his hide a few days ago. This is my first T and I am a tad bit concerned for his well being. I've looked this up and apparently its a sign of pre-molt, I've only had him a week and was planning on feeding him the day he blocked off his hide.. Any answers on why he has done this? Would put my mind at rest ^.^ I ensured that the humidity is at 60-70% for him and the temp doesn't go below 20 degrees.
Also I have a fan on inside my room majority of the night, it's not directly pointed at the tank and it isn't blasting him with cold air I'm also wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Any response is appreciated,
Thanks.

justynh

Arachnopeon
My G. rosea blocked off her hide. Then molted 2 days later. Just wait and see.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Completely normal, Don't stress out about it because if he wants out he can get out! My B.vagans locked his front door for a week before he pushed a molt out into the dirt pile (while he was still barricaded) and stayed for another few days.

Keep us updated!

Annoying

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the swift replies guys, its a relief knowing that this is normal behavior. I'm still wondering is it ok to have the fan on? Like I said its not constantly gusting wind at the T but theres defiantly some air going into the tank.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
T's tend to react not so well to a VERY light blow (even a gentle exhale) and they bolt, There extremely sensitive to air movent and vibrations so keep that in mind. I would personally move him to place with circulation but less airflow than fan. can also make humidity hard to keep (not that B.smithi need much) but still.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hey guys,

My juvenile B. Smithi has blocked off his hide a few days ago. This is my first T and I am a tad bit concerned for his well being. I've looked this up and apparently its a sign of pre-molt, I've only had him a week and was planning on feeding him the day he blocked off his hide.. Any answers on why he has done this? Would put my mind at rest ^.^ I ensured that the humidity is at 60-70% for him and the temp doesn't go below 20 degrees.
Also I have a fan on inside my room majority of the night, it's not directly pointed at the tank and it isn't blasting him with cold air I'm also wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Any response is appreciated,
Thanks.
its just molting its normal my smithi was in heavy intermolt [befor premolt] and shoved herself away in the sub some time last week [dont remember when] and my 3/4" boehmei did over a week ago. i expect to see him soon. i dont personally raise the humidity that high just poke a hole 1/4 the way down in the sub on a unused corner and fill it with a little water. let it soak up once. and then fill once more. no precicness to it. just how i roll as they are arid sp.

im not sure on celcius temps but, im sure your fine dont stress it..

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Yeah, +1 to this; I've had all my slings barricade themselves in their burrows/hides at some point and had them molt soon after. :)
+ 2 to this. My B. vagans did the same thing, and molted within a day. :)

Great choice for a first T, by the way. You'll be very happy with it, for many years to come.

Welcome to the addiction. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the swift replies guys, its a relief knowing that this is normal behavior. I'm still wondering is it ok to have the fan on? Like I said its not constantly gusting wind at the T but theres defiantly some air going into the tank.
I have a fan running 24/7 in my t room to keep the air circulating. Its not very powerful, and the only t's in front of it are the Avics, and they're far enough that I can only slightly feel it at their enclosures.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
it could be molting, but it could also just be stressed and seeking a safe place after being moved. my b. smithi did the exact same thing, and it was not molting. it blocked off it's hide, built a burrow (luckily along the side of the enclosure where i could see into it), but it still ate for several weeks before it finally went into pre-molt. i'd put a cricket in there and leave it overnight, take it out if it's still there in the morning. if you're really concerned its in pre-molt, use a pre-killed cricket instead so it won't attack the T if it molts.

also, forget all about humidity with this species. keep the substrate dry, leave an appropriately sized water bowl, and don't worry about trying to hit a specific humidity number.

cold blood

Staff member
70% humidity is kind of high for a B. smithi.
Right, as a juvenile its not a species that you should worry about humidity with...I've never given humidity a thought for mine...dry sub and a small dish=happy B. smithi