Oligoxystre diamantinensis -any advice please?

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I've taken the plunge and ordered an O. diamantinensis. Having Googled it I find there is little info on care for it except to keep it like an OBT, dry with a water bowl so does anyone that keeps them have any other tips, please?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
All the info you need can be found in the original description. It has altitude, temperatures, rainy seasons and the habitat they are found. Google it.

BERTANI, R., T. DOS SANTOS & A. F. RIGHI (2009): A new species of Oligoxystre Vellard 1924 (Araneae, Theraphosidae) from Brazil. ZooKeys 5: 41-51.

I suggest everyone look at descriptions for care info/hints. Older descriptions might not have this info but most will at least have the location found.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've taken the plunge and ordered an O. diamantinensis. Having Googled it I find there is little info on care for it except to keep it like an OBT, dry with a water bowl so does anyone that keeps them have any other tips, please?
Enn I keep this species and have done for a few months although my 1st attempt wasn't a success as the little swine escaped and somehow ended up in the enclosure of my g iheringi and got eaten (still puzzles me to this day how it got out) anyway my new sling moulted 2days ago and touch wood alls well, as for care I tend to keep mine on the dry side but not bone dry I don't use a water dish as at the moment its still too small I just let a few drops of water run down the side every couple of days they are good eaters calm but very fast so caution should be taken when you 1st receive it (if you havent already) mine tends to not use an hide or burrow but rather web up a storm just off the ground. As I've not been keeping them that long myself there's not too much I can tell you to be on the safe side don't let it dry out completely or be too damp from my limited experience with this species its about finding n happy medium fairly quickly

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Enn I keep this species and have done for a few months although my 1st attempt wasn't a success as the little swine escaped and somehow ended up in the enclosure of my g iheringi and got eaten (still puzzles me to this day how it got out) anyway my new sling moulted 2days ago and touch wood alls well, as for care I tend to keep mine on the dry side but not bone dry I don't use a water dish as at the moment its still too small I just let a few drops of water run down the side every couple of days they are good eaters calm but very fast so caution should be taken when you 1st receive it (if you havent already) mine tends to not use an hide or burrow but rather web up a storm just off the ground. As I've not been keeping them that long myself there's not too much I can tell you to be on the safe side don't let it dry out completely or be too damp from my limited experience with this species its about finding n happy medium fairly quickly

Thanks for that. It sounds pretty much like my H. incei. I usually rehouse them with the tub/vial inside an ExoTerra viv to give me a second line of defence.

I'm sorry about your first one, such a shame.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for that. It sounds pretty much like my H. incei. I usually rehouse them with the tub/vial inside an ExoTerra viv to give me a second line of defence.

I'm sorry about your first one, such a shame.
That's the way I tend to do the 1st transfer although the 1st sling bolted out of the vial before I had chance to remove the damp paper towel lid it was doing laps of my forearm before I could blink lol

Enn49

Arachnosquire
That's the way I tend to do the 1st transfer although the 1st sling bolted out of the vial before I had chance to remove the damp paper towel lid it was doing laps of my forearm before I could blink lol
That happened with one of my H. incei, luckily it landed in the Exo and I caught it quickly. I shall watch it when this one arrives.