Decisions decisions....

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've been part of the scorpion thread one here (despite scorpions being the only reason I got into arachnids) And because I had some discouraging luck with them I kinda of stuck with tarantulas for a while because there super easy to keep alive (for me anyway).

But now time has passed, wounds have healed, and cravings for a scorpion project to work on have over took me I know have a few options since I decided to get back on the horse.

My choices come down to either 3-4 1/2 inch G.grandidieri or one 1.5 B.gigas (same price)

So between those two species which one do you recommend and why? i love them both equally so some input would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

Not sure how the G.grandidieri is, but I've raised CB babies from G.limbatus to adulthood, and it was quite a painful process...
Unfortunately I don't quite remember what was the hardest part, I think simple juvenile mortality, especially 2nd instar to 3rd instar

You should ask around among people who have this species and see what its like to raise! Also bare in mind that if an 'expert' says they're really
easy to care for, it might not be so easy for a beginner/intermediate!

B.gigas.. is a fairly rare but beautiful species right? Why is it still so rare!? Maybe they're hard to rear too!
Its a warning sign that the relative of B.jacksoni (which is among the easiest species to rear and breed) is still uncommon!

Sorry If i sound like a 'debbie downer' hehe, just trying to prevent you having another bad experience!

TLDR: I'd go for the G.grandidieri, you'll have a chance of breeding them when adult!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get the Grosphus. B. gigas are much more difficult than jacksoni.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
well a new option just rose up, G.gradidieri at 1/2 inch and buy a total of 2

And just born CB baby B.gigas, If there both equally hard do you think I should get both or just the Grandidieri that are a little easier from what I read/heard

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gromgrom is right, b.gigas are very difficult to raise . at least it was my experience and heard same thing over from some ppl.
I don't know why but in my care a lot of young ones died from bad molt. most of them were stuck in molting. the temp was right humidity was right though.

if you have any chance, get some B.jacksoni . they are great and fun to raise. not really picky eater , east to breed too.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I bet it's the higher humidity causing the molt problems. Have any of you tried letting them molt without misting? It seems they're a savannah-loving species, which is an area that's prone to drought and low humidity

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm willing to bet you're right. I haven't any experience with B. gigas, but like what happened with GBB tarantulas and rose hairs, I bet people are assuming their native biome is much more humid than it truly is.

I have nothing to contribute to OP other than good luck this time!

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess it should also be mentioned that if you only get one Babycurus gigas, odds are you will have a hard time finding a mate for it. If there were more of them available though, I'd go for them.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get the Grosphus. B. gigas are much more difficult than jacksoni.
Agree 100% with Grom here, if you had problems with other scorpions or are new to them, grab the Grosphus. B. Gigas can be very difficult to maintain...

Cheers,

Rob