Harpactira pulchripes

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To all seven people who own this species, how do you care for this species, such as enclosure requirements, humidity requirements, etc. also what's the temperament like?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not that those seven people are experts in how to care for them.

I'd keep them like other baboon spiders from that area, like Ceratogyrus, Augacephalus, and Pterinochilus. Dry substrate, good ventilation, cork slab to hide under and a water bowl.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still have all of my organs and blood lol, I just want to know how to care for one when they become cheaper.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's going to take at least three or four years...... After raising and breeding these guys I bet they will still be approx. $250. In six or seven years they will be affordable.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Contact Michael Jacobi. Didn't he import the originals? And I am not sure if he's on here or not, but I think Lee Beck in the UK bred them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I still have all of my organs and blood lol, I just want to know how to care for one when they become cheaper.
Best bet there, plus you will have enough experience to properly care for said sling (which will still be a few hundred dollars). If you were to kill it on accident I'd cry for you. But I think I could spare one of my kidneys for a few of them. I talked to a breeder who bred others in the genus and you keep them like any other baboon: Nice amount of sub and keep them fairly dry with a water dish.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Organ:spider, spider: organ.... Hmmm, think I'll keep my organs and hope H. pulchripes become affordable within my lifetime. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Organ:spider, spider: organ.... Hmmm, think I'll keep my organs and hope H. pulchripes become affordable within my lifetime. :)
I still have another 60 years so I imagine I will be able to get one eventually, just even looking at P.metallica it was 150 when I first got into the hobby and now has dropped to 80-90 so there is hope that maybe in 5-6 years H.pulchripes will drop down to a more reasonable price.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I'm wanting a few of these as well. They aren't worth $400 each to me though just to be one of the first to have it. The main reason being advice available on specific care. If I accidentally killed a $400 sling, I'd feel compelled to hold a funeral for both the spider and my bank account. There are also a ton of Xenesthis species I'm hoping make it over here from Europe. mainly the sp White, sp Blue, and Intermedia.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Made the same call with P everettis, and they have come way down. Though I am no novice, these rare and new beauties (and I mean all rare ones and not just these) when introduced should be in the hands of the best of the best to get them prolific in the hobby.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Best bet there, plus you will have enough experience to properly care for said sling (which will still be a few hundred dollars). If you were to kill it on accident I'd cry for you. But I think I could spare one of my kidneys for a few of them. I talked to a breeder who bred others in the genus and you keep them like any other baboon: Nice amount of sub and keep them fairly dry with a water dish.
Do you think I'd be crazy enough to buy a 3/4-1" T that costs about half as much as a used car? Maybe....... :D Only kidding.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
John, if you know of any dealers accepting internal organs as trades for H. pulchripes, pm me.
Still waiting a reply from Paul if he'd accept a portion of my liver. That would go for a pretty penny right?, I don't even drink much so should be good for resale lol.

-JohnD.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
So I'm guessing I wasn't the only person who saw these as Coming Soon on a certain site. :3 I'm sure the first batch (or two or ten) are going to be prohibitively expensive--they might even put P.ultramarinus sling prices to shame--but it's exciting that they may soon be available.

Edit: Nevermind, I see another already has some for sale. Yep, very prohibitively priced. o-o

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Last night I found them for sale and spent the night rethinking every life choice and unnecessary purchase I ever made. It took me a good twenty minutes to leave the page because I wanted to get one that bad. I decided that no, if I accidentally killed it I would probably end up the same way because of my family's anger at me. still.. they're a pretty tarantula. maybe some more staring at that $400 price tag will make it go down...:coffee:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last night I found them for sale and spent the night rethinking every life choice and unnecessary purchase I ever made. It took me a good twenty minutes to leave the page because I wanted to get one that bad. I decided that no, if I accidentally killed it I would probably end up the same way because of my family's anger at me. still.. they're a pretty tarantula. maybe some more staring at that $400 price tag will make it go down...:coffee:
Again, the tarantulas beauty and the desire to appreciate it in person is kind of cancelled out when a puny sling of it costs about as much as the iPad I'm typing this on.