Idiothele mira molting question...

Luke

Arachnosquire
Hey Y'all! This is more of a concern than an actual question, but for those of you that keep I. mira, do they clean the molt out of the burrow themselves or do I just have to leave it down there until I do a rehoming? Or maybe do they eat them?

Thanks in Advance!

L

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most burrowers will take the molt out of the burrow at some point. And, they certainly don't eat the molt.

But, you said this is a concern...has something happened with your tarantula?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some throw it out, others stash into into the walls or deepest part. No reason to worry, you can "clean" them out when they are due for rehouse, yes.

Luke

Arachnosquire
Most burrowers will take the molt out of the burrow at some point. And, they certainly don't eat the molt.

But, you said this is a concern...has something happened with your tarantula?
Okay cool, and no, the concern was mainly because I didn't know if it would mold or something down there. lol

---------- Post added 09-26-2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

Some throw it out, others stash into into the walls or deepest part. No reason to worry, you can "clean" them out when they are due for rehouse, yes.
Right, cool, I've seen my P. muticus do this but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe she buried it...

Luke

Arachnosquire
Oh also just a quick side question so I don't have to create a new thread. lol

My I. mira has been coming to the top of her burrow and sticking her gams out for like the past 2 or 3 days, is this a sign that she is hungry? I ask because she's eaten about 4-5 decent sized roaches since I've gotten her (about 9 days). And since I have no way of telling how big she is I dont know if I should keep feeding or not. lol

These reclusive species, I swear....

Thanks again!

L

---------- Post added 09-26-2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

There's nothing to worry about. It won't mold or cause any issues.
Oh okay, Thanks!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas don't eat their molts. It's the same kind of exoskeleton that they filter out when they eat insect prey.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer

My I. mira has been coming to the top of her burrow and sticking her gams out for like the past 2 or 3 days, is this a sign that she is hungry? I ask because she's eaten about 4-5 decent sized roaches since I've gotten her (about 9 days). And since I have no way of telling how big she is I dont know if I should keep feeding or not. lol

Thanks again!

L

You've had it 9 days? How big was it when you got it? 4-5 roaches, depending on size of roach to size of spider, seems like a lot. Is it a sling?

Luke

Arachnosquire
It is about 2.5 inches Diagonally measured and her abdomen was pretty small like she had just molted..

Akai

Arachnobaron
You've had it 9 days? How big was it when you got it? 4-5 roaches, depending on size of roach to size of spider, seems like a lot. Is it a sling?
that does seem like a lot and yes usually when you see their sexy blue legs sticking out of their dirt lid it does mean they are hungry. i'd hold off personally feeding it if it ate that much in 9 days. it's not starving unless you intend on power feeding it?

Luke

Arachnosquire
Here is the size of her abdomen when I got her...Not trying to power-feed I just want to get her up to size but its heard to gauge that when l only see her feet now and then. lol

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel

Thanks again!
the answer to your question is yes and no. yes part in that all burrowing species will be waiting at the edge of their burrow or in this case at their lid waiting for prey to come by and snatch them up and continue doing this until they go into premolt. In wich case they will stay down below until they molt and harden and then repeat the process over and over again. (they live very boring lives) so yes they are hungry but they are always hungry unless they are in premolt. however it doesn't mean you have to feed them, because in the wild they might not see food for days, weeks or even months at time so they will wait and wait, but they have a slow metabolism so one meal can hold them until their next one. since they are in a control environment, means that we have control of their feeding schedule, but they will still pop up the next day after a feeding waiting for more prey to come bye. so don't feed them everytime you see that because its what their program to do and will always do it and you will just accelerate them to another molt and to short of time between molts can cause problems.

Last edited:

Akai

Arachnobaron
@spiderengineer waiting on another video man. lol You're the best. :biggrin:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thanks again!

L

Oh okay, Thanks!

I'm right there with you. My I mira is way more reclusive than either my C. marshalli or my Lv. I know it ate, but I haven't seen it eat in a while, nor seen it's toes. MAYBE it's about to molt, maybe it's hardening up. I have no way to tell without digging up my sling. This is a tough wait for me.