Addict

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Well a few months ago i said to my mom i wont get another tarantula. Well today i picked up a suntiger (p.irimia) sling never took measurements. Thats the first tarantula off my wishlist!

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Well a few months ago i said to my mom i wont get another tarantula. Well today i picked up a suntiger (p.irimia) sling never took measurements. Thats the first tarantula off my wishlist!
Nice acquisition, friendttyy. The irminia is a good intermediate T, and a good introduction to both arboreals & some of the quicker OW's, without the high humidity requirements. They are LIGHTNING QUICK, so be on your toes. They grow like weeds though: Mine was only about an inch when I got her last November, and she must be closing in on 3 inches now. And their colouration is gorgeous, once they begin to mature.

Good luck. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
My friend called me an addict when I got my 2nd T. I thought I was going to far when I got 2 more instead of just 1 after that.

Then I finally got a sling. It was all over then.

Be careful with wishlists. Because the classifieds here can make wishlists just become checklists. And for me it became a "starter set".

Take it slow. That's what I should've done if I had more self control. I'm pumping the brakes now. I have a good enough specimen sample lol. I'm now going to watch mine grow. And learn learn learn.

I've jumped in pretty quick. So that's been cool. But my advice, listen to the older guys. Not that I don't love my Ts or have time for them. But I could have waited. Could have stopped with my 4. Or 7 after my first sling order. And been chill with that.

But NOOO Lol.

Anyways good luck with your little guy. I had no interest in Psalmos but many people love them.

Last edited:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Actually, gobey, I should take that advice too. I've gone from 3 to 23 in just over a year, with 4 more planned for mid November. Granted, I probably won't keep all the ones I have, especially the multiples (4 B. albopilosum, 4 P. regalis). I'm thinking my final collection count will be around 25, after I save up enough money for each of the Holy Trinity T's (P. met, X. immanis, and A. juruensis), and I don't have any plans to breed any, just the odd MM breeding loan, perhaps. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Actually, gobey, I should take that advice too. I've gone from 3 to 23 in just over a year, with 4 more planned for mid November. Granted, I probably won't keep all the ones I have, especially the multiples (4 B. albopilosum, 4 P. regalis). I'm thinking my final collection count will be around 25, after I save up enough money for each of the Holy Trinity T's (P. met, X. immanis, and A. juruensis), and I don't have any plans to breed any, just the odd MM breeding loan, perhaps. :)
Dude. Don't take this this as trying to 1 up you. Because it's like saying "I'M MORE IMPULSIVE!" I can only imagine the things Poec mutters to himself about how I've gone into this hobby. I only hope the older guys here know I am indeed taking notes and considerations.

But I'm at 16 in 4 months. Would be 17 if B. albo 5 didn't escape. Poor little guy is house spider food I bet. He was 1/4" maybe. Totally my fault. Lesson learned so hard. Enclosures ALL reexamined the next day.
Anyways now I have this 50/50 breeding project. So.......................

I want to keep.... 3? Maybe 2. 4? $#@& No more than 20 total.

I really think I should keep 2. That'd be most responsible. My MM will die out. I'll have 50 / 50 at having a female of that awesome little T. And 50 50 one will be docile like him. And I'll definitely also cut down on my 4 B. albos, 3 OBTs, and then 2 L.p.s, 2 P. regalis, 2. H. macs. I bought in 2s and kept freebies. These slings all had original plans, and i waited until after I worked with them outside my house and until I had experience with them and working with an adult OW for a bit also not mine. And then kinda decided I'm keeping them. For now. The OW still have a backup plan should I really decide it's too much. But I don't see it happening. I love working with the OBTs. The slings kind of make me more weary than the adults. They're so small and spastic.

But aside from the fact that I've worked with dangerous wild animals before tarantulas, and that I at least have some common sense and want to keep learning constantly. I think I'm that guy all gung ho the older dudes here usually aren't keen on seeing.

So yeah I want what I have now to seriously be IT. And when I've learned a lot and I've grown to see what Ts lf mine are my favorites, I'll probably try to trade for some of the maybe 3 or 4 that I even might want. Or sell. But euther way the T count needs to stay, or decrease.

Time to learn and grow. I really do have enough now. :)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Dude. Don't take this this as trying to 1 up you. Because it's like saying "I'M MORE IMPULSIVE!" I can only imagine the things Poec mutters to himself about how I've gone into this hobby. I only hope the older guys here know I am indeed taking notes and considerations.

But I'm at 16 in 4 months. Would be 17 if B. albo 5 didn't escape. Poor little guy is house spider food I bet. He was 1/4" maybe. Totally my fault. Lesson learned so hard. Enclosures ALL reexamined the next day.
Anyways now I have this 50/50 breeding project. So.......................

I want to keep.... 3? Maybe 2. 4? $#@& No more than 20 total.

I really think I should keep 2. That'd be most responsible. My MM will die out. I'll have 50 / 50 at having a female of that awesome little T. And 50 50 one will be docile like him. And I'll definitely also cut down on my 4 B. albos, 3 OBTs, and then 2 L.p.s, 2 P. regalis, 2. H. macs. I bought in 2s and kept freebies. These slings all had original plans, and i waited until after I worked with them outside my house and until I had experience with them and working with an adult OW for a bit also not mine. And then kinda decided I'm keeping them. For now. The OW still have a backup plan should I really decide it's too much. But I don't see it happening. I love working with the OBTs. The slings kind of make me more weary than the adults. They're so small and spastic.

But aside from the fact that I've worked with dangerous wild animals before tarantulas, and that I at least have some common sense and want to keep learning constantly. I think I'm that guy all gung ho the older dudes here usually aren't keen on seeing.

So yeah I want what I have now to seriously be IT. And when I've learned a lot and I've grown to see what Ts lf mine are my favorites, I'll probably try to trade for some of the maybe 3 or 4 that I even might want. Or sell. But euther way the T count needs to stay, or decrease.

Time to learn and grow. I really do have enough now. :)
And that's good, knowing when to say 'NO'. Maybe I should have done the same thing, but they're just so damn fascinating. I do have 2 or 3 that I really dote on, but I'm trying to learn with each one of them. I can't imagine some collectors that have 400-600 specimens. That's not a hobby, that's a job, and a damn busy one at that. If I can keep my two full bookcases of specimens alive & healthy, then I think that I'm doing pretty good. I am going to have to start planning to make room for the 15+ slings I have, once they mature and take up WAY more room. 'Critter Corner', anyone? :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Should I be considered an addict when I figure out I have males and think "Sweet more shelf space"?

gobey

Arachnoknight
And that's good, knowing when to say 'NO'. Maybe I should have done the same thing, but they're just so damn fascinating. I do have 2 or 3 that I really dote on, but I'm trying to learn with each one of them. I can't imagine some collectors that have 400-600 specimens. That's not a hobby, that's a job, and a damn busy one at that. If I can keep my two full bookcases of specimens alive & healthy, then I think that I'm doing pretty good. I am going to have to start planning to make room for the 15+ slings I have, once they mature and take up WAY more room. 'Critter Corner', anyone? :)
Yeah I've decided it's custom enclosures for most of these slings. I'll have maybe 12-14 slings. 6 adults. Well the L.p.s are juveniles, but juvie L.p.s are the size of my adult Avic and porteri lol. And the MM Euathlus parvulus is the size of a small juvenile lol. I'm thinking the P. regalis, or at least the best one, and the female L.p. if she gets nice and big will get nice glass exo terras or similar pricier display cases. But the rest will be in the KKs I have and custom enclosires for a T storage spot lol
They'll live in my office. Keep me company. :)

And yes, the fascination got me this many so quick. It's not enough to just watch videos of YOUR tarantulas. I want to see it too!

Idk it was really seeing how raising slings actually was like thag made it all over from there.

But I have too many other important things my money has to go too. I own a personal training company. I just started group classes. We need more equipment. Weights are expensive.

Should I be considered an addict when I figure out I have males and think "Sweet more shelf space"?
Excuse to buy more? To buy a nice big one to fill an empty enclosure? Lol

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah I've decided it's custom enclosures for most of these slings. I'll have maybe 12-14 slings. 5 adults. Well the L.p.s are juveniles, but juvie L.p.s are the size of my adult Avic and porteri lol. I'm thinking the P. regalis, or at least the best one, and the female L.p. if she gets nice and big will get nice glass exo terras or similar pricier display cases. But the rest will be in the KKs I have and custom enclosires for a T storage spot lol
They'll live in my office. Keep me company. :)

Excuse to buy more? To buy a nice big one to fill an empty enclosure? Lol
It's an excuse to get more since I can trade him/his children, I'm very limited on space and I would like to enjoy my collection so the plan is to keep it under 40. I think I will be investing in dwarfs so I can cram more on my book shelf.

gobey

Arachnoknight
It's an excuse to get more since I can trade him/his children, I'm very limited on space and I would like to enjoy my collection so the plan is to keep it under 40. I think I will be investing in dwarfs so I can cram more on my book shelf.
I just did both of those. Entered my first breeding loan agreement, and it's for a dwarf T. At least a smaller T species. Very curious little guy. I used to think I only wanted big tarantulas. But I fell in love with this little dude the minute I saw him. Colorful docile little thing. Always wants to see what you're up too.

I'd like mine to be under 20. And honestly be like 10 - 15 of my absolute favorites when I'm older and be good with it. We'll see if that happens.

It may be more.... Or less lol. I'm already broaching the I have a bunch of tarantulas subject now with this new girl I'm seeing.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I just did both of those. Entered my first breeding loan agreement, and it's for a dwarf T. At least a smaller T species. Very curious little guy. I used to think I only wanted big tarantulas. But I fell in love with this little dude the minute I saw him. Colorful docile little thing. Always wants to see what you're up too.

I'd like mine to be under 20. And honestly be like 10 - 15 of my absolute favorites when I'm older and be good with it. We'll see if that happens.

It may be more.... Or less lol. I'm already broaching the I have a bunch of tarantulas subject now with this new girl I'm seeing.
I said I would stay at 10, now I'm at 20 with several suspect males and adult females, fortunately all my adult girls are are on the small side of the tarantula family.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I said I would stay at 10, now I'm at 20 with several suspect males and adult females, fortunately all my adult girls are are on the small side of the tarantula family.
I have 4 that will get big. But maybe 7 or 8". I've learned L.p.s aren't the 10" monsters they are talked up as lol. One is suspected male.

The tough part will be letting males either die out or selling them off without replacing them or agreeing to take a bunch of their babies lol.

I need to get back to my original vision of having some awesome display pets. Not a science project lol.

Anyways easier said than done it seems. You either have none, 1, or a whole bunch.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Would i begin to fall into this category if i just aquired my first tarantulas and already know what species i am going to buy
next.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, you would be, but in the early stages. Just run, run away lol. I have only two addictions and this is the worst ever. Especially when you start trolling your pet stores for more tarantulas. At three of my pet stores I get wholesale prices since I buy so much. I just bought ten WC a ezendami for 215.00. I wish I wasn't so addicted.. :/

---------- Post added 09-25-2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

When you see cheap prices and over spend it's really bad. I 've always been good at putting away money till now. I think AB isn't helping my addiction, so I plan on leaving for a bit.

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Yes, you would be, but in the early stages. Just run, run away lol. I have only two addictions and this is the worst ever. Especially when you start trolling your pet stores for more tarantulas. At three of my pet stores I get wholesale prices since I buy so much. I just bought ten WC a ezendami for 215.00. I wish I wasn't so addicted.. :/

---------- Post added 09-25-2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

When you see cheap prices and over spend it's really bad. I 've always been good at putting away money till now. I think AB isn't helping my addiction, so I plan on leaving for a bit.
Aaawww... :( !!!!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's clearly my fault and I need to start holding myself accountable. I'll be on here to sell my spiderlings lol.