Found my MM A. Geniculata in this position when I came home!

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Dont know what he was doing, but I had to get pics! He flipped back over shortly after I took these pics...lol

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Soooooo....that's what he was doing, eh? I've had a few MM's before and never seen this.....or maybe just didn't catch them doing it.

Akai

Arachnobaron
you didn't know mature males made sperm webs or you've never seen one make one?

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I knew they made them, but have never witnessed it myself or seen others post pics of it. Haha...naughty boy!! Poec54 is on a roll today clarifying his status as a comedian!! lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I knew they made them, but have never witnessed it myself or seen others post pics of it. Haha...naughty boy!! Poec54 is on a roll today clarifying his status as a comedian!! lol

As with teenage boys, male tarantulas are pretty secretive about that sort of thing.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Do you think he was actually searching for a magazine beneath his substrate? He does like to hide them from me. I'd ground him for a week but how do you keep a T in his hide that long? Lol

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Lmfao. Maybe you could let him use the computer next time.....lol.
ha ha ha hah ha!!!

I am fairly new to the hobby, and currently only have one young male, so it is good to see some pics of what I should expect :biggrin:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
What about it tells you its a brocklehursti vs a geniculata? From what I looked up the geniculate has "creamy" strips vs the brocklehursti has whiter strips and the geniculata tends to have a more robust abdomen. I'm curious if this is how you can tell? I read your reviews and understand you have been in this hobby a long time, so if you say its a brocklehursti, I believe you! ;)

Damon

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about it tells you its a brocklehursti vs a geniculata? From what I looked up the geniculate has "creamy" strips vs the brocklehursti has whiter strips and the geniculata tends to have a more robust abdomen. I'm curious if this is how you can tell? I read your reviews and understand you have been in this hobby a long time, so if you say its a brocklehursti, I believe you! ;)

Damon
I would like you to take a look at this link http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?259175-Really-big-A.-genic-MM/page3 on post #36 stroll down the photos until you reach photo number 11 thru 14 you will find both mature males of the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and Acanthoscurria geniculata. Those were my old two mature males I posted.
Your Acanthoscurria brocklehursti does not have the white stripe going down the patella and also it does not have the thick white bandings on the legs that the Acanthoscurria geniculata has.
Therefore visually your mature male has the black stripe on the patella and thinner white bandings on the legs which identifies your mature male as the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti.
When it comes to the abdomen I don't bother with, it does not tell me anything on both species.

Jose

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Thank you again Jose! I can clearly identify the difference now. Any time I can learn something new in this hobby, I appreciate it greatly. After more research and reading that ENTIRE post you linked me to, I still have a bit of trouble distinguishing the females. It seems the males are easier to tell apart, but the females not so much. I'm going to look again on my PC instead of my phone and maybe that will help. Also, with so much confusion out there over the years, how do we know cross breeds aren't abundant or mixed in the general population anymore? Do you think a site that has a sack registry online for breeders to log breeding projects, results, pics of the MM and MF, and more information could be a useful tool in the future? Maybe the sack can be assigned a random number (not to be duplicated ever) that would accompany any purchased or traded tarantula. This could also aid in avoiding inbreeding possibilities. Obviously, participation would be voluntary.....but I think it could be very beneficial for the hobby in the long run. I think of it a lot like the AKC litter numbers they use to register dogs to avoid inbreeding and track bloodlines. Jose, I would like to hear your opinion on this.......along with anyone else who would like to chime in on the matter.

Damon

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you again Jose! I can clearly identify the difference now. Any time I can learn something new in this hobby, I appreciate it greatly. After more research and reading that ENTIRE post you linked me to, I still have a bit of trouble distinguishing the females. It seems the males are easier to tell apart, but the females not so much. I'm going to look again on my PC instead of my phone and maybe that will help. Also, with so much confusion out there over the years, how do we know cross breeds aren't abundant or mixed in the general population anymore? Do you think a site that has a sack registry online for breeders to log breeding projects, results, pics of the MM and MF, and more information could be a useful tool in the future? Maybe the sack can be assigned a random number (not to be duplicated ever) that would accompany any purchased or traded tarantula. This could also aid in avoiding inbreeding possibilities. Obviously, participation would be voluntary.....but I think it could be very beneficial for the hobby in the long run. I think of it a lot like the AKC litter numbers they use to register dogs to avoid inbreeding and track bloodlines. Jose, I would like to hear your opinion on this.......along with anyone else who would like to chime in on the matter.

Damon
Immature males of the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti can look exactly the same as the females Acanthoscurria brocklehursti, patterns, color etc.. The difference is Acanthoscurria brocklehursti immature males when they reach maturity the white stripe pattern coloration on their patella becomes a black stripe.
Immature males of the Acanthoscurria geniculata can also look exactly the same as the females Acanthoscurria geniculata, patterns, color etc.. When the immature males Acanthoscurria geniculata reach maturity the white stripe on the patella stays the same as when they were immature.

I know from experience that the Acanthoscurria geniculata and brocklehursti will not breed with one another. I have been told that this species has been hybrid in the past, which I'm sure it has happen. Though I have not seen this happen.

Jose

Last edited: