tarantula behaviours

Drache

Arachnosquire
So I am pretty new to this and fortunate in that all of the tarantulas I've kept so far have exhibited interesting behaviours. Not so fortunate in that I've not really found much information about what it all means. The spinning and hunting my A. avicularia did was pretty straight-forward, and I didn't see that much of her (or his) "private" life. Now I have a young female A. chalcodes and I am pet-sitting an aged male G. rosea, and they're both out a lot and doing stuff like preening and looking at activity in the room, checking out the baby garters they're neighbours with. Neither of them has done any spinning at all.
I used to think that I wanted animals primarily for handling, but over time this has changed, and I now keep some lizards that I only handle when strictly necessary for husbandry purposes. While I very much enjoy the gentle sensation of a tarantula walking on my arm, just one or two that do that will probably be enough, and I'd love for others to display a range of different observable behaviours within their habitats. As such would like to tailor my addict list of future spider kids with some diversity in mind.
Are there some particularly interesting species/subspecies I ought to keep in mind - hopefully some that I can feel I can take on as a beginner (as well as some that I could fantasize about while I become more experienced)?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Not to sound like the jerky teenager telling their 4 year old sibling that Santa isn't real but...your Ts can't see your garters, or really even a whole lot at closer range. They have terrible eyesight.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah they have no earthly idea I'm there until I open the enclosure usually. The OW baboons and Poecs can usually detect vibration and light better than the NW terrestrials and the Avic.

But even the adult OBTs I've worked with stay absolutely still until you're real close.

Akai

Arachnobaron
i wonder how terrible avics vision are? i've seen them leap from one branch to another in an enclosure and i've seen a youtube video of avic leaping from someones hand to another person who was filming the video and it was like foot and half to 2ft leap. this was an adult avic and i don't think an avic is going to make a blind leap of faith if its going to hurt itself in the process so it must be able to gage distance and depth perception. now i know its not going to rely on vision like a jumping spider but i think avics have better vision then your average tarantula.

gobey

Arachnoknight
i wonder how terrible avics vision are? i've seen them leap from one branch to another in an enclosure and i've seen a youtube video of avic leaping from someones hand to another person who was filming the video and it was like foot and half to 2ft leap. this was an adult avic and i don't think an avic is going to make a blind leap of faith if its going to hurt itself in the process so it must be able to gage distance and depth perception. now i know its not going to rely on vision like a jumping spider but i think avics have better vision then your average tarantula.
I think arboreals are the exception. Hence their light sensitivity too. At least the old world. Pokies and H. macs and the like can jump as well correct? I know H. macs do. Wouldn't S. cals? Isn't that the purpose of the "feathers" on their legs.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Thanks for pointing that out. I did read about the bad eyesight in at least one of my books, but I could swear my A. chalcodes was checking out the superworms in the container next to her enclosure, and yeah - the G. rosea the garter babies. Perhaps I should add that it's only a distance of a few inches (about one inch in case of the supers) - not a big feat even for the near-sighted. Maybe it's just movement they respond to.
Sorry about my questions. I do look at the books, but I haven't read any cover-to-cover. I've got three, the two more useful ones (one of which is an older edition of the Schultz) are currently on loan to a friend who just got her first tarantula - a clear case of the nearly blind leading the nearly blind. It did get me here, which I hope to be a good thing. Obviously I need to get my books back and read them more.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Well I don't know about your Avics, but I've observed reaching out and feeling around with the front pair of legs usually precedes a leap, like one does when feeling around in the dark--which to me would indicate that it may be better, but not necessarily by a whole whole lot.

---------- Post added 09-26-2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

Thanks for pointing that out. I did read about the bad eyesight in at least one of my books, but I could swear my A. chalcodes was checking out the superworms in the container next to her enclosure, and yeah - the G. rosea the garter babies. Perhaps I should add that it's only a distance of a few inches (about one inch in case of the supers) - not a big feat even for the near-sighted. Maybe it's just movement they respond to.
Sorry about my questions. I do look at the books, but I haven't read any cover-to-cover. I've got three, the two more useful ones (one of which is an older edition of the Schultz) are currently on loan to a friend who just got her first tarantula - a clear case of the nearly blind leading the nearly blind. It did get me here, which I hope to be a good thing. Obviously I need to get my books back and read them more.
I would say it's significantly more likely they're feeling the vibrations if they're that close. Which if you think about it is pretty neat in and of itself.

Drache

Arachnosquire
"I would say it's significantly more likely they're feeling the vibrations if they're that close. Which if you think about it is pretty neat in and of itself."

Totally agree.
And I am happy to say that I am learning to find relevant info on this site, so I hope to soon be able to quit asking the stupid questions.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
I'm still new to the hobby, only have 12 T's, but I've read a lot about many of them, and I can tell you that Acanthoscurria Geniculatas like to show themselves. Of course individuals vary but they seem to be known for not hiding, and they're big beautiful spiders. Mine ignores her hide completely and hits her prey like a freight train, so yeah I'm in love. For personality I'd say get an OBT, known for their attitude, very thick webbing and old world venom. Very funny spiders. You'll see people who've kept tarantulas for years talking about how much they love them. Mine are only slings and they already make me smile. And then theres the Poecilotheria genus, which is my current obsession. Look them up, they speak for themselves :) Oh and I keep hearing about a dwarf tarantula called a Euthulus sp. red,yellow,or blue. "They" say they're very docile and like to show themselves and wander around. Anyways, I noticed you got the usual response to a question here, which was criticism of your post, and thought I would throw in my 2 cents. And by the way, these experts have no earthly clue how far a tarantula can see.

So I am pretty new to this and fortunate in that all of the tarantulas I've kept so far have exhibited interesting behaviours. Not so fortunate in that I've not really found much information about what it all means. The spinning and hunting my A. avicularia did was pretty straight-forward, and I didn't see that much of her (or his) "private" life. Now I have a young female A. chalcodes and I am pet-sitting an aged male G. rosea, and they're both out a lot and doing stuff like preening and looking at activity in the room, checking out the baby garters they're neighbours with. Neither of them has done any spinning at all.
I used to think that I wanted animals primarily for handling, but over time this has changed, and I now keep some lizards that I only handle when strictly necessary for husbandry purposes. While I very much enjoy the gentle sensation of a tarantula walking on my arm, just one or two that do that will probably be enough, and I'd love for others to display a range of different observable behaviours within their habitats. As such would like to tailor my addict list of future spider kids with some diversity in mind.
Are there some particularly interesting species/subspecies I ought to keep in mind - hopefully some that I can feel I can take on as a beginner (as well as some that I could fantasize about while I become more experienced)?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I'm still new to the hobby, only have 12 T's, but I've read a lot about many of them, and I can tell you that Acanthoscurria Geniculatas like to show themselves. Of course individuals vary but they seem to be known for not hiding, and they're big beautiful spiders. Mine ignores her hide completely and hits her prey like a freight train, so yeah I'm in love. For personality I'd say get an OBT, known for their attitude, very thick webbing and old world venom. Very funny spiders. You'll see people who've kept tarantulas for years talking about how much they love them. Mine are only slings and they already make me smile. And then theres the Poecilotheria genus, which is my current obsession. Look them up, they speak for themselves :) Oh and I keep hearing about a dwarf tarantula called a Euthulus sp. red,yellow,or blue. "They" say they're very docile and like to show themselves and wander around. Anyways, I noticed you got the usual response to a question here, which was criticism of your post, and thought I would throw in my 2 cents. And by the way, these experts have no earthly clue how far a tarantula can see.
You're right, Venomous, some species just seem to like to be out & about. My 8.5" LP, for example, has a hide big enough for her, but she's always out. Same with my B. emilia, G. pulchra, B. albopilosum and two B. smithis. My two G. porteri, on the other hand, are like pet holes (especially Lily, who thinks she is a trapdoor, having completely buried her hide except for a big enough hole to get out of). My 4 regalis & 1 subfusca HL are usually out, until their enclosures are disturbed, then they hide. Same with my G. pulchripes and B. vagans, and P. irminia.

If you're looking to expand your collection, Drache, in my opinion, no collection is complete without a G. pulchra. Large, hardy, docile, very active, and that beautiful glossy black appearance when they mature. :)

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm still new to the hobby ...... I noticed you got the usual response to a question here, which was criticism of your post ....
I don't know about new to the hobby, but you're obviously new to these boards if you thought ANY of these replies constituted as the "usual response" of criticism. ;P
(Don't worry, I'm not being mean. I meant that in jest. I have a dry sense of humor that can come across as rude if I don't make this little note. hehe)

Welcome! I'd like to direct your attention to the thread called "Addict" in this forum. Stick around long enough fantasizing about what spiders you want and that will soon be you. It's unavoidable. (Hope you like Ramen noodles.) :D

As far as interesting species, you'll get 100 responses to this, and 500 suggestions within those responses. Check out the galleries here and you may get an idea of what you're drawn to. At first, I was attracted to the super-flashy colorful arboreal species. Now after many years and a very diverse collection, give me a good less-flashy, heavy-bodied, NW terrestrial and I'm a happy camper. If it's all about making a wishlist, dream big. But then to get a better feel of what you prefer, collect a few of the less expensive NW species. I'm a huge fan of LPs as beginner tarantulas IF you get it as a sling. I say sling because you can slowly get accustomed to the size as it grows. They're hardy and pretty slow when they get bigger. You'll also get the gist of tarantulas being strictly look-but-don't-touch animals because LPs really should not be held unless you want to spend the next couple weeks itching like crazy. They are not flashy in color, but who needs flashy when you end up with an 8-9" spider that rarely hides?

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok

Instead of making a new thread let me make a post in a thread already called "tarantula behaviors".

I CAUGHT HIM!

My A. avic has by far the messist enclosure. Especially now that he finally made a web. Now aside from the weekly massive poo spree he goes on. I often see just dirt all over the sides of the enclosure. I figured he did such while eating. Dragging it up from a tackled cricket?
Dirty feet? Not on such groom happy creatures right?

Well I got the little bugger today! Crawling to the floor, picking up lumps of substrate in his mouth parts and palps and dragging it up to random spots. Like just saying, "this goes here now".

My ex used to have pet mice that just put litter and food and other stuff in their water dish and other funny spots.

Go figure spiders do too. On a different cognitive process. Weird.

Clean that up Avic!

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
.... Pokies and H. macs and the like can jump as well correct? I know H. macs do. Wouldn't S. cals? Isn't that the purpose of the "feathers" on their legs.
Yes they do jump, I have seen mine jump after hunting a cricket and it nailed the cricket one time! It was the first and the last I have seen her jump. Although I do see her "hunt" her pray... As for the "featherleg" I think that is because how they position themselves on a branch or what ever... They sort of look like a feather and if they were in their natural habitat and in that position they would be difficult to spot...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's not just Avics, its all arboreals; the anterior medium eyes are noticeable larger than the other 6, so arboreals likely have the best eyesight of any type of tarantula, which they should. A misstep for a terrestrial is usually not an issue; for an arboreal it could mean falling 30 feet to the ground. They have to be able to run quickly vertically and even upside down, whether capturing prey or evading predators. In the trees the stakes are higher, just being up that high is risky. They have to be more alert to their surroundings, which means processing more information and making more decisions. That may also mean that on average they're more intelligent than most other tarantula species.

---------- Post added 09-29-2014 at 04:53 PM ----------

Yes they do jump, I have seen mine jump after hunting a cricket and it nailed the cricket one time!
Imagine how risky it is to be jumping around in a tree, with limited eyesight. Pretty impressive what they can do.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not just Avics, its all arboreals; the anterior medium eyes are noticeable larger than the other 6, so arboreals likely have the best eyesight of any type of tarantula, which they should. A misstep for a terrestrial is usually not an issue; for an arboreal it could mean falling 30 feet to the ground. They have to be able to run quickly vertically and even upside down, whether capturing prey or evading predators. In the trees the stakes are higher, just being up that high is risky. They have to be more alert to their surroundings, which means processing more information and making more decisions. That may also mean that on average they're more intelligent than most other tarantula species.

---------- Post added 09-29-2014 at 04:53 PM ----------

Imagine how risky it is to be jumping around in a tree, with limited eyesight. Pretty impressive what they can do.
Makes you wonder if they have the capability for echolocation, or something other than sight to do that.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
You're right, Venomous, some species just seem to like to be out & about. My 8.5" LP, for example, has a hide big enough for her, but she's always out. Same with my B. emilia, G. pulchra, B. albopilosum and two B. smithis. My two G. porteri, on the other hand, are like pet holes (especially Lily, who thinks she is a trapdoor, having completely buried her hide except for a big enough hole to get out of). My 4 regalis & 1 subfusca HL are usually out, until their enclosures are disturbed, then they hide. Same with my G. pulchripes and B. vagans, and P. irminia.

If you're looking to expand your collection, Drache, in my opinion, no collection is complete without a G. pulchra. Large, hardy, docile, very active, and that beautiful glossy black appearance when they mature. :)
Mine are pretty good about coming out, except for the H lividium. She stays deep and only comes to the mouth of her hole when I tickle her out or let a dubia tap on her doorframe. She just molted 3 days ago, jesus she's gorgeous...that bright electric blue. It's nice to hear more talk of poecis sitting out and not hiding. I'm fixing to buy my first one, I hope it's like that.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much - a lot to look at. I have been perusing genus threads and the enclosure thread and after scrolling through about 40 pages of a genus, one does get a bit of a sense of them. So far I've only made it through the Aphonopelma and Brachypelma threads (some amazing photographers here), and I can already see that addiction will be an issue. Is there a list somewhere of the abbreviations people use? I've come across a few that don't seem to match up with any scientific names I could find. Does LP refer to L. parahybana? That's one of the items on my addiction list, but I haven't learned anything about that genus yet, so I'm just hoping they can be in the not-too-distant future for me. I like that heavy-bodied furry look of the Lasiodora I have seen. But then again - there are already more on my near future list than I have a budget for. I've looked at the G. pulchra, but haven't seen them at the shows around here - G. pulchripes is much easier to find and some have nice deep blacks. Of course we must have a B. smithi. What's the difference between A.geniculata and A.brocklehursti? Obsessing a bit over the blueish A.seemanni as well. Ok - you can see where this is going - how many can I rationalize?
Gobey - I used to have an avic who was the very opposite - kept his enclosure totally clean and dumped any leftovers and waste in the front right corner of the enclosure for easy removal. I guess that's not standard behaviour then.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Thanks so much - a lot to look at. I have been perusing genus threads and the enclosure thread and after scrolling through about 40 pages of a genus, one does get a bit of a sense of them. So far I've only made it through the Aphonopelma and Brachypelma threads (some amazing photographers here), and I can already see that addiction will be an issue. Is there a list somewhere of the abbreviations people use? I've come across a few that don't seem to match up with any scientific names I could find. Does LP refer to L. parahybana? That's one of the items on my addiction list, but I haven't learned anything about that genus yet, so I'm just hoping they can be in the not-too-distant future for me. I like that heavy-bodied furry look of the Lasiodora I have seen. But then again - there are already more on my near future list than I have a budget for. I've looked at the G. pulchra, but haven't seen them at the shows around here - G. pulchripes is much easier to find and some have nice deep blacks. Of course we must have a B. smithi. What's the difference between A.geniculata and A.brocklehursti? Obsessing a bit over the blueish A.seemanni as well. Ok - you can see where this is going - how many can I rationalize?
Gobey - I used to have an avic who was the very opposite - kept his enclosure totally clean and dumped any leftovers and waste in the front right corner of the enclosure for easy removal. I guess that's not standard behaviour then.
L. parahybana and L. difficilis are pretty reasonably priced up to 2"... unless you're looking for an adult. Adult specimens are much more expensive. I just got a L. difficilis 2" specimen for 21 dollars.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Did it web?

Mine is by far my messiest tarantula. My seconds are only the OBT slings that webbed up the lids to the deli containers and decided to be arboreal. Which sucks to deal with lol.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
You'd like the LP. They get to be real giants (mine is 8.5" already), and they are nowhere near as difficult to look after as, say, a T.stirmi, with its high humidity requirements, although its hairs could drive you crazy.

I'm a huge fan of G. pulchra, so if you can find one, scoop it up, it will be worth every penny. Same with G. pulchripes, they get to be almost as big as an LP, and are very easy to look after.

And, yes, B. smithi is one of the classics of the hobby. I have two JF's, and their colouration gets more vibrant as they mature.

As for how many you can rationalize, Drache, you'd have to ask yourself a) how many can I afford to have without resorting to eating Kraft Dinner in the dark, and b) how much room do I have for them. I went from 3 to 23 in just over a year, with 4 more planned for November. I'm currently spending not quite $20 a month on crickets, and for most of them, their enclosures are whatever suitable left over food containers I have on hand at the time, once they outgrow the pill bottles they come in.

Good luck. :)