What T's are faster than P.irminia?

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Just wondering, I got a couple of 1" slings, and they're rapid. Just as quick, if not quicker than my Idiothele mira.

They jump like crazy too haha, quite cute really.

I want to get P.metallica and M.balfouri, just wondering if they're even faster?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Long-legged arboreals are faster than mira. Slings run like little race cars and even jump into the air and free-fall. They can be very hard to catch. Short-legged arboreals (the Avic group) are capable of very fast short bursts. and are excellent jumpers.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Long-legged arboreals are faster than mira. Slings run like little race cars and even jump into the air and free-fall. They can be very hard to catch. Short-legged arboreals (the Avic group) are capable of very fast short bursts. and are excellent jumpers.
Sweet :). Yeah, i've heard they can jump off and then glide down like a snowflake!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sweet :). Yeah, i've heard they can jump off and then glide down like a snowflake!
Well to an extent. Aboreals are built differently than terrestrials in that they are adept to jumping around in trees if they need to. Now would I allow my aboreals to jump off my hand and "glide" down to the floor? Heck no as they are much heavier than what they were when they were slings and will probably get seriously injured. As for fastest I will say T.gigas, taps are more apt to use their speed than any other genus and special consideration should be taken when keeping them as some people report them to be very easily startled or neurotic. I do love my T.gigas very much though and she/he trained me to be able to be comfortable with pokies but if you have raised your psalmo for a while then moving to OW is not a big leap.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I can't confirm for pokies, but I can say that Avics seem to be able to do this. Generally speaking I'm on the no-handling side of the endless debate, but I will occasionally take out Amaranth (my MF A. avic) if I have someone over who's curious about the Ts. Before I adopted the bathtub technique for feeding/handling/rehousing I took her out one day to show to my best bud and she climbed up my arm to my shoulder, then proceeded to leap off of me like she was BASE jumping and I was her site. She fell approximately 5 feet and landed on carpeted floor, but the fall was surprisingly slow - a bit like watching a feather drop. I probably could have caught her in mid-air if I trusted my ability to not accidentally squeeze her too tight in the process.

Amaranth is fine, and since then I only ever take her out where she's not going to fall again. I think the experience was more traumatizing for me than it was for her though. :p

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Well to an extent. Aboreals are built differently than terrestrials in that they are adept to jumping around in trees if they need to. Now would I allow my aboreals to jump off my hand and "glide" down to the floor? Heck no as they are much heavier than what they were when they were slings and will probably get seriously injured. As for fastest I will say T.gigas, taps are more apt to use their speed than any other genus and special consideration should be taken when keeping them as some people report them to be very easily startled or neurotic. I do love my T.gigas very much though and she/he trained me to be able to be comfortable with pokies but if you have raised your psalmo for a while then moving to OW is not a big leap.
Yeah, I'm not thinking about trying it out haha.

No, i've only had my two irminia for just over a week, and my I.mira for 2/3 weeks - so i've already got OW. But obviously they're only slings, to be honest i thought I'd be much alarmed at their speed..I was initially, but i've got used to it quite quickly.

I even tubbed up a Tegenaria atrica (these are quick!!) and took it outside, which is something i would've never have considered doing before! Quite suprising how quickly you can get over fears when you just dive in lol.

---------- Post added 09-27-2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

I can't confirm for pokies, but I can say that Avics seem to be able to do this. Generally speaking I'm on the no-handling side of the endless debate, but I will occasionally take out Amaranth (my MF A. avic) if I have someone over who's curious about the Ts. Before I adopted the bathtub technique for feeding/handling/rehousing I took her out one day to show to my best bud and she climbed up my arm to my shoulder, then proceeded to leap off of me like she was BASE jumping and I was her site. She fell approximately 5 feet and landed on carpeted floor, but the fall was surprisingly slow - a bit like watching a feather drop. I probably could have caught her in mid-air if I trusted my ability to not accidentally squeeze her too tight in the process.

Amaranth is fine, and since then I only ever take her out where she's not going to fall again. I think the experience was more traumatizing for me than it was for her though. :p
That is pretty amazing!

And i can imagine, i had similar happen to me, my H. sp colombia decided to run out of her enclosure and off the table, and dropped 3 ft onto carpet - so now i don't do anything with them unless i'm sat on the floor.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I'm not thinking about trying it out haha.

No, i've only had my two irminia for just over a week, and my I.mira for 2/3 weeks - so i've already got OW. But obviously they're only slings, to be honest i thought I'd be much alarmed at their speed..I was initially, but i've got used to it quite quickly.

I even tubbed up a Tegenaria atrica (these are quick!!) and took it outside, which is something i would've never have considered doing before! Quite suprising how quickly you can get over fears when you just dive in lol.

---------- Post added 09-27-2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

That is pretty amazing!

And i can imagine, i had similar happen to me, my H. sp colombia decided to run out of her enclosure and off the table, and dropped 3 ft onto carpet - so now i don't do anything with them unless i'm sat on the floor.
Slings are nothing, you need to see them larger to really "appreciate" the speed. Yeah sure we all expect little spiders to move fast but watching a BIG spider move fast is something to behold. Sure your psalmo might be faster than an I.mira but the latter has a bit to back up that speed, though the former is still a painful bite. Wait till they get bigger, they can and will use their speed more often :p

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics are quick but not fast. I can think of maybe 3 exceptions. In that genus that I'd say are truly fast. Pokies and most baboon tarantulas can easily match a psalmo in terms of speed. As said however, Taps are faster than any of these.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Slings are nothing, you need to see them larger to really "appreciate" the speed. Yeah sure we all expect little spiders to move fast but watching a BIG spider move fast is something to behold. Sure your psalmo might be faster than an I.mira but the latter has a bit to back up that speed, though the former is still a painful bite. Wait till they get bigger, they can and will use their speed more often :p
Haha, yeah i can't wait...a friend of mine only has bad things to say about his 5 adult irminia :p

Avics are quick but not fast. I can think of maybe 3 exceptions. In that genus that I'd say are truly fast. Pokies and most baboon tarantulas can easily match a psalmo in terms of speed. As said however, Taps are faster than any of these.
Thanks :) Taps don't interest me anyway, and i guess once you're fully comfortable with the speed of psalms, you'll be ok with pretty much anything.

gobey

Arachnoknight
So are Taps essentially considered the fastest T genus? I have heard so much between Heteroscodra, Stromatopelma (sp?), Poecilotheria, being the top of the line in fast with no clear answer as to the winner. With Psalmos in a close second. Do Psalmos tie with those?

Taps I have almpst zero knowledge on at all.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have yet to see ANY T even come close to a tap in speed..... If i mention some that are faster it is a true spider.

awiec

Arachnoprince
So are Taps essentially considered the fastest T genus? I have heard so much between Heteroscodra, Stromatopelma (sp?), Poecilotheria, being the top of the line in fast with no clear answer as to the winner. With Psalmos in a close second. Do Psalmos tie with those?

Taps I have almpst zero knowledge on at all.
I find my Tap to be faster than my pokies, though close second comes my dwarf, H. sp Columbia, that thing will book it without a second thought. Granted Taps are more likely to use their speed as well, but I've had both pokies and my tap teleport and I can follow my pokies while they are moving, the tap is much harder to keep track of when it decides to move.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
close second comes my dwarf, H. sp Columbia, that thing will book it without a second thought.
I recently got some Hapalopus Colombia Lg, and I had no idea they were so fast. You wouldn't think those little legs could move like that.

Last edited:

Akai

Arachnobaron
I recently got some Hapalopus Colombia Lg, and I have no idea they were so fast. You wouldn't think those little legs could move like that.
I am already in love with these as i aquired 2 slings who molted to 3i in in the month that i've owned them. they are vicious little things even at 2i. these are pinhead B. lats worse nightmare with 8 legs. anybody whose had to wrangle pinhead lats know how fast they are....nuh huh Columbia Lg laughs at Turkish Red Racers speed. NEVER had to offer pre-kill to these orange demons. these are my first dwarves. I WANT MORE.

Last edited:

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
See! That's what I asked a few weeks ago, about the speed of H. sp Colombia. As I also have one, and I swear they're just as quick as my mira and irminia. Super skitty too!

Akai

Arachnobaron
@Crotalid they are beautiful from sling to adult too. :wink:

awiec

Arachnoprince
See! That's what I asked a few weeks ago, about the speed of H. sp Colombia. As I also have one, and I swear they're just as quick as my mira and irminia. Super skitty too!
I still think my t.gigas is faster but my dwarf is the most challenging house keeping wise, it always tries to run out and I've had to recapture it before, which loosing a little t is a nightmare.