Mexican Golden Redrump question

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums and to the spider world and I hope I won't get laughed out of here for this insane newbie question, but I'm really confused with something and hoping some of the experts of the boards can help. :)

Brachypelma vagans and B. ruhnaui - After reading up on the two, actually mostly on B. vagans since it seems there isn't much info on B. ruhnaui, they don't seem similar at all and viewing two pictures side by side, they certainly don't look alike, but they keep leading me to the same name: Mexican Golden Red Rump..

Am I just tired and confused here? :confused: :8o

Also: Is it recommended to get a B. boehmei as a first T? I would like to get a G. rosea to start off...but B. boehmei's are so lovely, though i'd rather not get a first tarantula that i can't handle! Anway - thanks to anyone who can help me here. :)

- Fatima

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vagans is a Mex Red Rump. Ruhnaui is a Mex Golden Red Rump, and yes, Get a Boehmei instead of a rosehair.... theyre just as nice, but look way better. If I had known anything when I started collecting, I would have skipped the rosehair altoghether. Have fun with the hobby!! Good to see new people :)

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
My suggestion is that you get all three... Once you get the first one, it's only a matter of time anyway. :D

Seems a shame to miss out on G. rosea, though. They remain one of my favorites - in fact, just added G. rosea #4 to my most recent order, along with 2 B. boehmei and 4 B. vagans and a few others. G. roseas have, IMHO, lots of personality. And if you get a red morph, it's no slouch on looks, either.

Hi, my name is Frances and I'm a tarantulacolholic...

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
Thanks RazorRipley and spidergoddess.

"My suggestion is that you get all three" :D I would love to but my housemate is not eager to the idea of ONE! I can just imagine what he'll say if I bring up three!

I'm really in love with the Boehmei's I've seen and actually everyone's T's that they've posted pictures of! I'm completely jealous of everyone! :rolleyes: This board alone has become an addiction, I can't imagine what it must be like to have all these beauties for yourself. But anyway, believe it or not, the boards actually helped me overcome my fear of spiders - it was a completely irrational fear and I'm so glad it's over.

h11te

Arachnopeon
littlefoot said:
Thanks RazorRipley and spidergoddess.

"My suggestion is that you get all three" :D I would love to but my housemate is not eager to the idea of ONE! I can just imagine what he'll say if I bring up three!

I'm really in love with the Boehmei's I've seen and actually everyone's T's that they've posted pictures of! I'm completely jealous of everyone! :rolleyes: This board alone has become an addiction, I can't imagine what it must be like to have all these beauties for yourself. But anyway, believe it or not, the boards actually helped me overcome my fear of spiders - it was a completely irrational fear and I'm so glad it's over.
You're housemate has to go........ ;P you need more then one t. :}

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also have a roomie who made me promise just one T, two at the very most. First order from Swifts brought home four of the little beauties!! Of course, before that order even arrived, I took a trip up to Regal with the roomie so he could see how sweet the T's could be and ended up bringing three home from there, one of which was a beautiful 3" metallic pinktoe, who, to my roomies dismay, jumped from the container we brought her home in right to his chest. After I reassured him that she wasnt going to eat him, and I got her put away, he relaxed, and I am proud to announce that after many months, he has finally learned to deal with some of my smaller babies, although I think he still holds a small grudge against Emily !! Get your first T and enjoy it, but dont limit yourself!! There are so many wonderful T's out there that you can never have just one without the craving for more!!

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
If you are interested in handling yout T, I would suggest getting a Chaco (G. auriostriata). They are generally one of the most easily handled T's. Much better than a rosie in my estimation. Of course it might be just because my rosie chases me around her cage whenever I want to clean it up. Even going so far as to strike at the tweezers on occasion. :D

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Vagans is a Mex Red Rump. Ruhnaui is a Mex Golden Red Rump, and yes, Get a Boehmei instead of a rosehair.... theyre just as nice, but look way better. If I had known anything when I started collecting, I would have skipped the rosehair altoghether. Have fun with the hobby!! Good to see new people
Skipped the G. rosea Razor :?
I just can't see how:) But then I do like MOST spiders.

And yes, always good to see new people:)

Pic to follow of course as always

My male G. rosea "Miracle"

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree the more the better, but with a G. rosea, it will be an adult. This is a good first spider. After you get your feet wet, then buy your first dozen slings. My B. boehmie is a beautiful spider, but it took many years to get that way.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
littlefoot said:
believe it or not, the boards actually helped me overcome my fear of spiders - it was a completely irrational fear and I'm so glad it's over.
That may seem odd to some ppl but old friend i once knew (do know if he still keeps now) who had been around t's a lot longer then me started keeping them to try to get over his fear of small true spiders :) if i remember he ended up with a quite big collection and did quite a bit of breeding and was on the committee of a well know society.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thought I would share this, since I also agree with the g.aureostriata as a great choice for a beginner. Fantastic spider, easy to handle, easy to keep, and this one was a wild caught which shows how easy they are to get along with. Yeah, yeah, I know.. shouldnt handle them.. but its kinda obvious on whos handling who.

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. boehmei is a nice looking spider to be sure, but their tendancy to kick ungodly amounts of urticating hair is likley to be a turn off to many. I currently have 3 adults and a permanent rash on both hands to prove it.

Wade

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Littlefoot, are you looking for an adult, juvinille,or sling. And how much are you looking to spend. If we knew this, I think we could be of more help. I have found adult G. rosea, at shows for five dollars, and this past weekend I found a 1-1/2 inch B. emelia for forty dollars. Let us know what size you want, and how much you want to spend.

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the tips and recommendations.

Kerr, that picture is great. "but its kinda obvious on whos handling who" ha - yeah I can see that! I love it.

Zoo Keeper, I haven't really thought about it, actually, though I would like a sling, since I think it would be great to be able to watch it grow from baby to adult and to get comfortable with it - when do people usually get their t's? As slings or adults? Is it just a matter of preference or are there certain reasons why someone would rather get an adult than sling? As for price, I'm not really familiar with what's a fair price or not, though I DO know that I can't afford anything *too* pricey right now. :?

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check out the dealer review site, if you go with the baby, get something no smaller than 1 inch. I would feel, bad if you lost your first spider, and smaller ones can be fragile. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are there any reptile show, coming to your area. I am lucky down hear in Louisiana. Swifty and the guys from Southern Spider, usualy make the local shows. Check out the events section on one of the reptile sites, with the money you save on freight, you can buy another spider.

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
Zoo Keeper said:
Are there any reptile show, coming to your area. I am lucky down hear in Louisiana. Swifty and the guys from Southern Spider, usualy make the local shows. Check out the events section on one of the reptile sites, with the money you save on freight, you can buy another spider.
I looked around a few sites but doesn't seem to be much happening around the Phoenix, AZ area (when is there ever though.. :rolleyes: ).

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You could always just go out in the desert and collect you some different Aphonopelma sps.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Yes I would also agree that you don't start with a tiny sling. Get a cheap terrestrial (sub-)adult like a rosie and see how you cope with it for a month or two. When you feel comfortable and have done your researches, your collection will naturally explode, be them slings or adults, arboreals or terrestrials. :D