Best tarantula species

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I know there are differing opinions about which species is the best to own, so which tarantula species
out there should every AB member or potential AB member add to their collection?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I don't think there is such a thing as a "best tarantula to own"...each hobbyist is going to tell you something different based on personal preference, or otherwise they're going to quiz -you- about what you want from your Ts and use that as a guideline to make suggestions. You know that old expression, "One man's junk is another man's treasure?" It applies to way more than just material items.

gobey

Arachnoknight
This should be a good one. You're bound to get a TON of different answers. None the same. Most will tell you there is no answer I'll bet.

I haven't had any of mine long enough to answer. I'll say this though. Much as I enjoy my porteri, I wish I had gotten a different starter terrestrial. One with more color. Or even a different Grammastola. A pulchripes would've been cooler. But my grumpy grey T is MY grumpy grey T lol.

And my Avic avic. I had no real interest in them either at first. I bought mine because it was cheap and because it was the only variety at LPS you could find that wasn't a porteri. Now idk if I'm going to ever get another Avic. The metallica does interest me. And the goliath pinktoe too is cool. But I'll tell ya these guys are MESSY. Lots of dirt, web, and poo to clean.

But this little green blue T with pink feet is absolutely my most mellow T and one of my 2 most amusing Ts. He's an absolute charm to own and grew on me after a couple of months. Plus he got me used to Ts randomly deciding to leave the enclosure and jump and all that fun stuff. And it's training wheels for arboreal setups. You should probably own one Avicularia species as a tarantula keeper. :)

My other favorite is my suspect nale Lasiodora parahybana. He's just really funny. Mad dash for food, and then a quick retreat to the burrow for fear that he's next on the menu. He also leaves his abdomen sticking out of his burrow without realizing he's not hidden all the way.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
There is no best tarantula. But I think one that has a place in every collection is the GBB. Hardy, beautiful, great eater, medium fast growth rate, and a heavy webber.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
It's subjective. I think that Brachypelma albiceps is the best beginner T. It's has colour, is docile, and pretty cheap.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor's are the best tarantula in the world. Some characteristics are great webbers, colorful, docile, active, and has an amazing feeding response!!!! If you don't have at least one in your collection, you shouldn't call yourself a hobbyists!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Avicularia versicolor's are the best tarantula in the world. Some characteristics are great webbers, colorful, docile, active, and has an amazing feeding response!!!! If you don't have at least one in your collection, you shouldn't call yourself a hobbyists!
Darn it! I guess I'm not an actual hobbyist until the fourth!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can recommend that as much as you want. Just know that I'll fight you on this as often as I can.

Also how the hell does being cautious and taking things slow equal "magic stepping stones" ?

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
Well that's your right, but it surely doesn't make you right. By labeling these T's as "not for beginners" you are doing beginners a disservice. They're tarantulas, we're humans.

You can recommend that as much as you want. Just know that I'll fight you on this as often as I can.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're doing them an even bigger disservice by recommending those species to beginners.

cold blood

Staff member
This thread has nothing to do with beginner species or stepping stones, its purely a subjective question as to what individuals like best.;)

I think at some point everyone that's into the hobby should own at least one Pamphobeteus sp.

I'd be hard pressed to argue against the versicolor though.

There's vast number of answers though, and all would be worth a look.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with slow and cautious at all...if that's what you need to do then by all means, go for it. I'm just tired of hearing people try to convince others they need to do the same. Believe it or not Bob, there's no real difficulty in keeping ANY tarantula.

Also how the hell does being cautious and taking things slow equal "magic stepping stones" ?

gobey

Arachnoknight
I think they're funny looking. I don't like the color contrast. The slings look way cooler. I wish they stayed that color. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with slow and cautious at all...if that's what you need to do then by all means, go for it. I'm just tired of hearing people try to convince others they need to do the same. Believe it or not Bob, there's no real difficulty in keeping ANY tarantula.
I never said they were difficult to care for did I ? The majority of people aren't prepared for the speed of an OBT.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I think at some point everyone that's into the hobby should own at least one Pamphobeteus sp.
totally agree. especially the larger end of the genus like an Antinous or Nigricolor. the males in this genus are stunning and if you are looking for a big NW terrestial, these can rival Theraposa in size and appetite but way easier husbandry.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
Well then, I imagine they'll learn very quickly :) I'm not saying people should go in blind, with no research and not knowing things like that. I'm saying with very little research and reading it's conceivable that an intelligent person can go buy an OBT as their first T and have no mishaps, no questions, no problems at all ever with that spider. You don't have to own a brachypelma, then a A. Geniculata, then a serial killer before you're ready for an obt..

I never said they were difficult to care for did I ? The majority of people aren't prepared for the speed of an OBT.