T. blondi and T. stirmi vs T. apophysis

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I was at my lps and they had/have two Ts labeled as "Pinkfoot goliath". I would normally not bat an eye but this is the same one that had two true T. blondis for $110 each. So basically my question is what are the differences?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm not to sure exactly but they do have different names. :) All I know for sure is that T.stirmi lacks knee hairs (patella?) where T.blondi doesn't. As slings blondi and apophysis have a certain amount of pink toes. I'm sure someone more experienced with these guys will chime in. Good luck, Bryce.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Very unlikely they were true T.blondi's for the price. A pic would confirm but for your own reference look for hairs on the patella (knee) be careful as juvie's of the others will retain a small amount of hair on the knee.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Almost all of the Theraphosa (other than slings) seen for sale in the US are stirmi, as they're still legally being brought in from the wild (the others aren't). They are sometimes sold as blondi and apophysis though (of the ones I've seen labeled like this, all have been stirmi).

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost all of the Theraphosa (other than slings) seen for sale in the US are stirmi, as they're still legally being brought in from the wild (the others aren't). They are sometimes sold as blondi and apophysis though (of the ones I've seen labeled like this, all have been stirmi).
+1. Very few true blondi around.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I didn't get a pic because I didn't have a phone but the blondis they sold had patella hair and looked large and stalky and somewhat awkwardly proportioned.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I didn't get a pic because I didn't have a phone but the blondis they sold had patella hair and looked large and stalky and somewhat awkwardly proportioned.
Stirmi have hair on their patella, just not the long hairs like on the rest of the leg segments. Blondi slings from Europe would sell for $110, but then so would stirmi. If they're good sized and selling for $110, that seems awful low for something as rare as blondi is these days, but it's possible. Apophysis would be even more unlikely. I'm skeptical as I've see juvenile/subadult/adult stirmi being sold as blondi and apophysis from dealers and importers, and those wrong names are going to circulate thru to the final owner.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Whatever happened to blondi and apophysis? it seems like at one time everyone had them and now they are rare. Sad to see such one time staples all but disappear from the hobby. Is anyone attempting to bring them back?

Akai

Arachnobaron
petcenter usa has T. apophysis slings as of a few days ago but I agree both are rare and hard to find as slings for sure and Theraposas in general for being such a large spider don't produce large sacs.

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 06:07 AM ----------

EDIT: Paul has only 3 left.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Whatever happened to blondi and apophysis? it seems like at one time everyone had them and now they are rare. Sad to see such one time staples all but disappear from the hobby. Is anyone attempting to bring them back?
Most countries have closed down. Blondi and apophysis were coming in as w/c, but aren't anymore. Stirmi are still w/c, and the vast majority of non-slings for sale are w/c, and in need of a good home. With some food and water (and moist substrate and good ventilation), they adjust well to captivity.

ButterMan

Arachnosquire
I found t apophysis for 80 cad I would guess that is a good deal

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
There is alot of informative videos on YouTube regarding this. You’ll even find videos with both species being compared side by side, making it easy for you to see the differences for yourself.

I just saw this post is OLD!!!!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yeah I see that I was just wondering what a if anyone would consider this a good deal
As @antinous said, in 8 years a lot of things can change. Also the person you have quoted didn't logged in almost two years, so I wouldn't expect an answer from him.

Here we can find apophysis for around 50€, so yes it's a nice deal.