Sexing a Pterinopelma sazimai molt...

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Hello. I recently purchased a P sazimai sling (1") and after its molt last week, I am still confused as to whether I gave a male or female. The pictures (taken under a microscope) show some small structures, but they seem more like the small male structures I am familiar with in the young Brachypelmas I have sexed rather than female spermathecae. Obviously, I am quite hopeful this is in fact a female, so maybe I am trying too hard to make these structures spermathecae.

Also, after its molt, it is already showing the blue in the femurs, even though it is about 1.25" dls. From what I have gathered in the little reading I have done, they are very sex u ally dimorphic (only the females showing the wild blues). Is this dimorphic for adults only? Or would colors this early be a good indicator of sex?

And finally, I would appreciate any pointers on care that anyone with experience can offer. I read they are montane, thus need cooler temps, they also are active borrowers, and need higher humidity. Any more details would be appreciated.

Thanks

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
There is a sexing section created for this stuff. Post it there. Looks male to me. Good luck with this guy. Hopefully Canada will see more at a lower price in the future!

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Then would someone be so kind as to move the thread to the right forum for me? I don't find Tapatalk that easy to navigate.

Also, I see auto - correct changed "Sexing" to "Seeing" for me. Could someone edit the title as well?

And thanks for the call on gender.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Report your own thread. Simply state that you posted this thread in the wrong section, and would a Mod move it to the right sub-forum. They won't bite, and will be glad that you asked them to move it.

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I did. I was told that the thread itself is fine where it is (since I ask about more than gender). I was told (like pyro's comment above) that I could post my pics in the sexing forum, but the thread itself is not moveable to that forum because of the nature of that forum.

Last edited:

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I did. I was told that the thread itself is fine where it is (since I ask about more than gender). I was told (like pyro's comment above) that I could post my pics in the sexing forum, but the thread itself not moveable to that forum because of the nature of that forum.
Now maybe the "you need to move this" posts will stop. :D

I also apologize for having nothing further to add to this thread, as I have no experience with these. :(

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
LOL. Yes, that would be nice. :)

More comments pertaining to the actual intent of the thread would be even nicer. :D

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I'm hoping someone with experience with this species. I have one that's still under an inch and I'd like to learn more. Currently she is walled up in her hide probably molting. I haven't seen her in 20 days but she should be making an appearance soon looking for something to eat.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
HG, yours come out yet?
Yep it finally came out on October 5th! That's 25 days in hiding. It defiantly molted. I offered it a cricket and it took it. Seems to be the most nocturnal T I've ever had, spends the whole day in it's hide and ventures out at sundown.

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
So mine molted today.

I am comfortable that this one is a female. :D

20141027_195145_resized.jpg

20141027_195024_resized.jpg

These spermathecae are smaller and closer together than I am used to seeing, but the alien ears look female to me now.

My next question is if this species shows dimorphism before adulthood. The adult females are blue while the males are not, but is this true for immature males too?

I just wonder if color alone is a way to sex this spider while immature as this girl showed hints of blue while still around 1", more so in this last molt cycle (at 1.25"), and I am waiting for her to harden and darken to see how much blue she is exhibiting now.

Last edited:

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
So my girl molted again just a few hours ago, and is looking nice.

The molt was 2", so I guess she is between 2.25" and 2.5".

Here she is molting,

IMG_1709a Indiaga.jpg

And here is her spermathecae.

20150128_194014.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice pics! What specific brand and model microscope did you use ??

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Nice pics! What specific brand and model microscope did you use ??
This microscope was from an old school that had closed down years before and they were getting rid of stuff. It is a Meiji-Labax made in Japan.

To shoot the pics, I use my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and have cut out a 3/4" spacer from an old dry-erase marker's tube that works great.