Sorry mom.... I'm getting more!

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Hey guys!

I currently have a B.vagans, C.marshalli, 2 LPs and an A.versicolor.

My new list Tarantula list contains, 1 H.lividum, 3 H.incei, 1 P.murinus, 1 C.fimbriatus, 1 Scolependra alternans (I know its its not a T just had to brag :p) and with your guys opinions and support maybe a P.subfusca If you guys say I'm ready.

I work with poecs and a few OWs at the Lps I work at (although I know that far from the same thing) And have had a pretty effortless time dealing with my first OW (A C.marshalli) and personally think I can handle a poec but I would like to ask others if you guys think I'm ready as I have only owned one Old world, What do you guys think?

And don't worry my mom is actually ok with them (I'm even raising an A.versicolor she got herself).

Thanks!
James

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
You will probably take care of a poeclitheria sp. just fine but consider getting a psalmopous or iridopelma sp. first just to get used to slightly bigger arboreal speices

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
if you feel like you're up to it, than go for it...it's all about beeing aware of the risk and beeing carefull and respectful to the T and it should be OK! i got an adult female P. ornata as my second T following the B. smithi and i did OK :) had like 14 pokies till today and not one threw a threat pose :)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have a P. subfusca HL, James, and while it's normally out, it becomes a pet hole every time its enclosure is disturbed. In my opinion, the subfusca would be a lot easier to deal with than some of the others on your list (the H. lividum and 'P. Terror' jump to mind)

We can't say you're ready, only you can decide that. My first arboreal was a P. irminia, and after 6 months with her, I got 4 P. regalis. All are very fast (the irminia more so than the pokies), and all have potent venom, but I've been careful (they all run & hide anyway), so no bites so far, and I hope to keep it that way.

If you do get one, you won't be disappointed, their patterns are very striking.

Good luck. :)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I would actually recommend the P.subfusca before the P.murinus and H.lividum...subfusca are extremely calm by comparison. If those C.marshalli are still "effortless" I'm going to venture a guess you haven't had them for long. My C.darlingi were ok at first too...and with age and size they're becoming increasingly confrontational. For example, what do you expect to happen if you accidentally bump a tarantula's enclosure? It runs and hides in it's burrow right? Well...my Ceratogyrus sp. have taken to running out instead, ready to take on the big invisible monster disturbing their world.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys :)

Belle: Yeah he is just a little guy still (1 inch maybe) but like you said he is still very flighty and easy to work with. I'm sure as he ages I'll get to know him better (as much as you can get to know your T) And hopefully he slowly fades into his stand up phase so I can adjust a little bit easier.

I think I will scratch the H.lividum and P.murinus off of the list for know, I feel like this will give me a nice variety and collection that will satisfy me for a little while :p

I think I'm going to get my First poec!

gobey

Arachnoknight
I would actually recommend the P.subfusca before the P.murinus and H.lividum...subfusca are extremely calm by comparison. If those C.marshalli are still "effortless" I'm going to venture a guess you haven't had them for long. My C.darlingi were ok at first too...and with age and size they're becoming increasingly confrontational. For example, what do you expect to happen if you accidentally bump a tarantula's enclosure? It runs and hides in it's burrow right? Well...my Ceratogyrus sp. have taken to running out instead, ready to take on the big invisible monster disturbing their world.
Lol that's awesome. Is that a typical behavior for them though? I'm not into the idea of burrowers. But a horned baboon is a pretty awesome looking T. And they're on my possible way down the road list.

That kind of behavior would at keast keep them interesting. Luckily none of mine are as brave as that.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol that's awesome. Is that a typical behavior for them though? I'm not into the idea of burrowers. But a horned baboon is a pretty awesome looking T. And they're on my possible way down the road list.

That kind of behavior would at keast keep them interesting. Luckily none of mine are as brave as that.
Yeah...that seems to be typical behaviour unless you get them young and work with them a lot. I only had one Ceratogyrus marshalli and one C. darlingi that would let me mess around in their cages without reacting to my presence. The C. darlingi actually let me hold it on occasion, even as adult. Just goes to show that the behaviour of almost anything can be modified. NOT that I would recommend doing this unless you are absolutely certain you can handle getting bit. Because, that is the risk you take when getting close to animals that are still considered "wild". They are not domesticated animals and their responses cannot be guaranteed. However, I've noticed a huge difference in temperament between animals I've raised, and ones I've purchased as adults.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah...that seems to be typical behaviour unless you get them young and work with them a lot. I only had one Ceratogyrus marshalli and one C. darlingi that would let me mess around in their cages without reacting to my presence. The C. darlingi actually let me hold it on occasion, even as adult. Just goes to show that the behaviour of almost anything can be modified. NOT that I would recommend doing this unless you are absolutely certain you can handle getting bit. Because, that is the risk you take when getting close to animals that are still considered "wild". They are not domesticated animals and their responses cannot be guaranteed. However, I've noticed a huge difference in temperament between animals I've raised, and ones I've purchased as adults.
Oh no I don't want to touch it good lord man lol. I just think they look cool. But I'm not into pet dirt. My OBT is kind enough to crawl out a lot or at least hang halfway out of her hide. But I also have one that is a pet burrow. You never see him. And knowing horned baboons are natural burrowers I kind of had reservation about adding them to my wishlist. But if it was an active burrower. That gave some type of interesting behavior like that. That would make it worth keeping.

But I'm not ready for such a response yet. Even my most defense Ts are calm until their space is closely violated. Like you have to pretty much touch them or really trick them into thinking you're food.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh no I don't want to touch it good lord man lol. I just think they look cool. But I'm not into pet dirt. My OBT is kind enough to crawl out a lot or at least hang halfway out of her hide. But I also have one that is a pet burrow. You never see him. And knowing horned baboons are natural burrowers I kind of had reservation about adding them to my wishlist. But if it was an active burrower. That gave some type of interesting behavior like that. That would make it worth keeping.

But I'm not ready for such a response yet. Even my most defense Ts are calm until their space is closely violated. Like you have to pretty much touch them or really trick them into thinking you're food.
This may not be everyone's experience, but from my personal experience in keeping many Ceratogyrus species and OBTs...the horned baboons are typically more outgoing and less "flighty" than the Pterinochilus murinus. The P. murinus are more reclusive and more likely to turn on you. In saying this, I've had a few OBTs that could be handled, but they will easily turn into orange balls of fire at the slightest provocation that they don't agree with. The Ceratogyrus tend to be a bit more stable in that they don't provoke quite as easily. Between the two, I'd also say the Ceratogyrus tend to stand their ground a bit more. Pterinochilus murinus tend to run if given a chance and usually only give me threat pose when they feel they have few choices...or if they are feeling overly confident that day. Yes, the Ceratogyrus will run and do the flailing of appendages, but they are also more likely to just stop...consider the situation, and take you on much moreso.

That is my experience. But, in saying that, I also wouldn't say the two groups are too far different from each other. If you want a horned baboon, I think your experience with the P murinus is close enough that you know about what to expect. Most days are going to be pet dirt and webbing, but other days they'll just hang out in the open, or slightly exposed. That's why you get several, so that hopefully, on any given day, you at least have a few that are visible. ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince

It all depends on your specimen's personality. I have a 4 inch female C.darlingi (sold to me as sub-adult but I'm pretty sure she's mature at this size) who has had a drastic change of attitude. When I first got her, she was very skittish and would hide all the time for the first weeks I had her. Then after I fed her, she was out all the time and would run over to wherever I was opening the lid from, which was a pain as she would try to take off the moment the lid was open. Then about 4 months ago she has calmed down exponentially, now when I open the container she just sits in the corner or on her log until I'm done and then moseys back out front again. Though this species can be excited pretty easily, I accidentally breathed on her too hard and she reared up so high I could see the cream on her abdomen which is quite the feat considering how low to the ground she is.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Awesome! Thanks I've definitely added Ceratogyrus to my watch list for the future. :)

I suppose the best course of action is to get both a darlingi and a marshalli? They're not pricey Ts correct? I have to home off for a bit lol.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Awesome! Thanks I've definitely added Ceratogyrus to my watch list for the future. :)

I suppose the best course of action is to get both a darlingi and a marshalli? They're not pricey Ts correct? I have to home off for a bit lol.
darlingi is the most common and is dirt cheap, though the 4ish species available in the hobby are all reasonably price plus they are easy to breed from what I've read.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Yes! And multiples! :D As far as tarantula prices go, the Ceratogyrus genus as a whole is fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to get ahold of.

The marshalli is my favourite, because its horn is the most prominent. lol. Though, my favourite pet from experience has been a darlingi, still fairly prominent, but comes second to the marshalli.

Good luck with your ever-growing must-have list!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Lol thanks guys. This is the trade away or when some die or years from now list lol. Like new house list. But it can't hurt to dream. Keep ideas in mind lol. When he described that behavior that definitely made them sound more interesting. Baboon spiders are pretty cool anyways. Plus a tarantula with a horn on it.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Baboon spiders are pretty cool anyways.
More than just that, African Ts are worth trading out your whole collection for. There's nothing like them! Once you start building a small collection of them, you'll see pretty quickly they are the best of the tarantula world. Granted...I do have a bias. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Lol thanks guys. This is the trade away or when some die or years from now list lol. Like new house list. But it can't hurt to dream. Keep ideas in mind lol. When he described that behavior that definitely made them sound more interesting. Baboon spiders are pretty cool anyways. Plus a tarantula with a horn on it.
I think of them as fuzzy 8-legged unicorns with large fangs (my girl's are about 1/2 inch each), which is why I like them. I prefer darlingi because the horn reminds me of a shark fin and I like sharks but marshalli is very impressive in the horn department.

Akai

Arachnobaron
if you were to watch a time lapse video of a fossorial tarantula such as Haplopelma over a 24 hour period, there is a very good chance that there will be no difference between frame one to the last frame with maybe a peek of their front legs at the entrance to their burrow. the most excitement you're going to get is on feeding day and even then that's going to be literally fractions of a second. lol I personally love them but they aren't for everybody.

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 12:30 AM ----------

More than just that, African Ts are worth trading out your whole collection for. There's nothing like them! Once you start building a small collection of them, you'll see pretty quickly they are the best of the tarantula world. Granted...I do have a bias. :)
I absolutely agree. I see mine on a daily basis with C. darlingi the most and P. muticus the least. i find them all very curious and quick to investigate any disturbance such as cage maintenance. i actually find them quite comedic at times. I watched my C. darlingi female push a large dubia nymph end over end like it was rolling a boulder away from her burrow. i guess she wasn't hungry. lol

Last edited:

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
hmm Maybe I'll have to get another Marshalli then, Because I do love Marshall (creative right?) I'm glad your considering them gobey! I really like mine because he is always doing some different. My marshalli is actually like a germiphobe :p I see him cleaning and grooming and preening more than any other tarantula I have ever seen. He webss like theres no tomorrow and loves to make tunnels. I see him out more often than you would think, probably four times a week he just sits ontop of his web mansion and grooms, not being distrubed by anything unless you open the vial (once his vial fell over and he just continued to sit there and preen vertically :p).