G. Rosea too skinny? New member

unrealgeforce

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Quick question- does my G. Rosea's abdomen look too skinny? She hasn't eaten in almost 2 months but I wanted to see if I should start worrying before posting a ton of info about her + her setup...

P1050031.jpg
P1050033.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Looks a little small, but certainly not so much that I would worry about it. Couple months without eating is nothing for this species. They are know to fast for a year or more.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
If it does not want to eat then let it not eat but still offer. In my opinion it seems a little skinny but if it does not shrink any then it is fine.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
A little small but it should be fine. I've had a B.smithi sling (1/4") not eat for four months and be fine, not to mention it's abdomen was smaller than yours in comparison.

gobey

Arachnoknight
She looks ok to me. My girl was WC and came to me with an abdomen maybe only slightly larger.

She was healthy enough. Although not fasting and hasn't yet (fingers crossed)

Here's a pic of her then. (4 months ago) And her closer to now to show how quick she'll grow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Not much you can do if they won't eat. Offer a variety of food items if you can. Mine hasn't eaten in months but her abdomen is large, shiny and dark. I'm hoping for a molt...some day. [emoji15]

unrealgeforce

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the responses!...I know T's are completely different from any other pet and new owners often worry too much, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll keep offering once a week and try to switch it up.

This is her setup, it's a 5.5 gallon.

p.s. Gobey she's gorgeous! I only have my one T...I have too many pets to get others hehe. (40 gallon community freshwater aquarium, 15 gallon freshwater betta aquarium, 2 gerbils, a Leopard gecko, and am considering crested geckos)

P1050036.jpg

Akai

Arachnobaron
there is a stickie thread at the top of this forum (Tarantula Questions & Discussions) devoted to G. rosea. you might find it fascinating if not useful for the care and husbandry of your T. Additionally there are hundreds of threads in reference to them as well seemingly on a daily basis. lol i think there are at least 2 other similar threads as we speak here and in the Tarantula Chat forum that are current. G. roseas are great beginner Ts. you will learn patience if anything when keeping these. Welcome to the hobby and Arachnoboards.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
These can be moody sometimes so I don't recommend you handle it, or any T for the matter. A fall of 12" can kill it.
Good luck, Bryce.

unrealgeforce

Arachnopeon
@Akai, I will check those out, thank you.

@bryce - thanks for the info, I never handle her and the distance from the top of her substrate to the top of the tank is 5". I did this to ensure her safety

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
@bryce - thanks for the info, I never handle her and the distance from the top of her substrate to the top of the tank is 5". I did this to ensure her safety
clearly you have done your research prior to getting her.. props man. ALOT of people come on the boards here having zero clue, (myself included admittedly) how to care for one. LOL

welcome to the hobby. :) You're T looks perfect, her abdomen is not really small in my opinion.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to our amazing hobby!!! I'm glad to see your asking questions already. If more hobbyists did this, our hobby would be better! Lovely G porteri BTW!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thank you all for the responses!...I know T's are completely different from any other pet and new owners often worry too much, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll keep offering once a week and try to switch it up.

This is her setup, it's a 5.5 gallon.

p.s. Gobey she's gorgeous! I only have my one T...I have too many pets to get others hehe. (40 gallon community freshwater aquarium, 15 gallon freshwater betta aquarium, 2 gerbils, a Leopard gecko, and am considering crested geckos)

View attachment 130341
Lol I think she's rather dull looking. Hence I just bought another little slow moving pet rock tarantula that's a metallic gold with red abdomen hairs. My G. porteri though, you have to look real close under a light to see her pinkish hairs. It's her attitude that makes her interesting. She's more than willing to go toe to toe with anything. Including me.

By the way good luck having one tarantula. Even with your other pets. Sooner or later your next acquisition or replacement is another species of tarantula. They say everyone should have an Avic too. It was my 2nd T. :D

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Lol I think she's rather dull looking. Hence I just bought another little slow moving pet rock tarantula that's a metallic gold with red abdomen hairs. My G. porteri though, you have to look real close under a light to see her pinkish hairs. It's her attitude that makes her interesting. She's more than willing to go toe to toe with anything. Including me.

By the way good luck having one tarantula. Even with your other pets. Sooner or later your next acquisition or replacement is another species of tarantula. They say everyone should have an Avic too. It was my 2nd T. :D
It was my second species... fourth spider haha... now I also have an L. difficilis and I think I'm getting 2 L. parahybana's this week. I'm planning on getting 2 GBB's and a pumpkin patch in the third week of October too if all goes well. That will bring my total to 10... in a little over 3 months.. o_O....

Akai

Arachnobaron
It was my second species... fourth spider haha... now I also have an L. difficilis and I think I'm getting 2 L. parahybana's this week. I'm planning on getting 2 GBB's and a pumpkin patch in the third week of October too if all goes well. That will bring my total to 10... in a little over 3 months.. o_O....
the joy really is raising them from slings and watchingg them grow. well maybe not G. roseas but all others is perfectly fine. lol in that i mean they grow agonizingly slow. i have a rosie sling that went from 1/4 inch to just over an inch in 2 years. lol this sling might out live me at this rate.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
the joy really is raising them from slings and watchingg them grow. well maybe not G. roseas but all others is perfectly fine. lol in that i mean they grow agonizingly slow. i have a rosie sling that went from 1/4 inch to just over an inch in 2 years. lol this sling might out live me at this rate.
well, I've got 2 mature rosies.. actually porteri's and one sling.. it's right at one inch but it's ok, I'm in it for the long haul lol. My avic avic is right at 2 1/2 inches and my difficilis is at 2 inches. The parahybana's I'm getting are 1 inch and the gbb's I'm hoping on getting later in the month are also 1 inch. the pumpkin patch is the smallest at 1/2 inch. I might go 2 at 1/8 inch just so I can get my requisite 2 per species. lol.

I personally like getting them smaller and raising them up from "infanthood" lol I'm weird like that. My husband wants me to buy full grown or almost mature juvies within one or two molts before maturity but what's the fun in that??!!? LOL