Psalmopoeus victori, the first arboreal Theraphosid spider described for Mexico

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Psalmopoeus victori, the first arboreal Theraphosid spider described for Mexico (ARANEAE: THERAPHOSIDAE: AVICULARIINAE)
Jorge Ivan Mendoza Marroquin

Abstract:
A new species of tarantula, Psalmopoeus victori sp. nov. (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Aviculariinae) is described from Veracruz, Mexico. It is the first arboreal species described in Mexico and represents the most northerly known distribution for the genus Psalmopoeus. A detailed description of the lyra is presented.

English PDF here>>> http://www.revistas.unam.mx/index.php/bio/article/view/44597/44681

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
gah i cant read nor see that link at work.. but that is so awesome! i think i seen a few of these on a herp forum a yr or so ago [but ofcourse names are jumbled around.] still a soon must have for us in the US ;) lol

Akai

Arachnobaron
it amazes how new living things are discovered every day and how little we know of this world and the undiscovered life that inhabits it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I love the specie name, this might be a psalmo that I'll actually want in the 10 years it's going to take to get into the hobby:p

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Awesome! Not that "exotic" to me but still pretty cool. If these do pop up in the hobby I'll be sure to pick up a few.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! What does .nov mean though? I see it in all sorts of papers regarding classification

I looked on Google but couldn't find what it stood for.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Thanks! What does .nov mean though? I see it in all sorts of papers regarding classification

from what i have gathered it literally means a new species described since the last genus revision. as far as the long form of the abbreviation i do not know.

Feriat

Arachnopeon
from what i have gathered it literally means a new species described since the last genus revision. as far as the long form of the abbreviation i do not know.
It just stands for 'Novus', which pretty much just means new.

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Wish the photos were higher quality. And what must locals think when scientists show up asking after a tarantula, insisting it's new?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Wish the photos were higher quality. And what must locals think when scientists show up asking after a tarantula, insisting it's new?
i think field collectors and people who would go down there are more inclined to say "a undocumented species" as "new" or "recently discovered" would mean it just showed up out of nowhere XD and they probably knew about it long before we thought it was possible for them to migrate that far north XD

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 02:06 AM ----------

omg vipers alive! holy cow its been weeks sence iv seen your name here [tho i dont read every post] ;D glad to see you again pal XD

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I knew there had to be arboreals in the rainforests of Mexico and eastern Australia. And sure enough, there are in both areas. Great genus, great species. Thanks for posting Chad!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
gah i cant read nor see that link at work.. but that is so awesome! i think i seen a few of these on a herp forum a yr or so ago [but ofcourse names are jumbled around.]

It was discovered a few years ago, people used to refer to it in conversation under such names as Psalmopoeus sp. Veracruz and Psalmopoeus sp. mexico. Now it's been described/named.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think field collectors and people who would go down there are more inclined to say "a undocumented species" as "new" or "recently discovered" would mean it just showed up out of nowhere XD and they probably knew about it long before we thought it was possible for them to migrate that far north XD

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 02:06 AM ----------

omg vipers alive! holy cow its been weeks sence iv seen your name here [tho i dont read every post] ;D glad to see you again pal XD
I'm around my man...I've been posting though not as much lately, I've been traveling for work.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It was discovered a few years ago, people used to refer to it in conversation under such names as Psalmopoeus sp. Veracruz and Psalmopoeus sp. mexico. Now it's been described/named.
Ya looked up when got home.. dang.. i could havr picked up "P. Sp Mexican" as it was labeled about 6months ago at 5bux a pop... But only having a A. Avic in my care i was like "psalmo? Try no!" lol #regret

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 11:17 AM ----------

I'm around my man...I've been posting though not as much lately, I've been traveling for work.
lol glad to see your okay i just aint seen you thought something might be wrong xD glad to have you back, as breifly as it may be XP