G.rosea/porteri identification.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Does anybody have any links on how to ID these species and any links to papers published on these guys? These are becoming a favourite of mine, even if they are pet rocks. Thanks, Bryce.

[Edit]
I've seen a dealer sell a G.rosea labelled as G.cala (old synonym of G.rosea RCF I believe) , do you guys think this is a valid species? If so do you think they're in the hobby.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Does anybody have any links on how to ID these species and any links to papers published on these guys? These are becoming a favourite of mine, even if they are pet rocks. Thanks, Bryce.

[Edit]
I've seen a dealer sell a G.rosea labelled as G.cala (old synonym of G.rosea RCF I believe) , do you guys think this is a valid species? If so do you think they're in the hobby.
well i believe cala is former name for rosea. but more or less it comes down to color. its said taxonomy is different, but im just your average joe. imo. its 2 seperate animals. but not 3.. rosea/cala would be red. dark colors minimal browning typically. to where porteri would be pink carapas and tan/brown/gray.. imo natural color form and pink color form are the same its just pretty individuals of a porteri. just like in other T's some are brighter and some are dull but to me rosea is way to dif to be a random occurance.

Akai

Arachnobaron
the common name Rose Hair seems to make sense if you have and RCF G. Rosea which really is the normal color form if that makes sense. there is nothing remotely red on a brown tarantula. it seems that when these came into the hobby any Grammastola from this area exported to the world was lumped into G. rosea. these have been in the hobby since the beginning and may have been hybridized since then. i never understood why a brown tarantula would be called a rose hair until i saw an RCF in person at a reptile show. they were as red as a rose. hence the name. now i'm no expert on G. rosea/Poteri but every description i've read describes a brown/grey tarantula as G. poteri and according to the World Spider Catalog these are 2 different species. you will find a handful of links on this very subject on AB but to be quite honest i am waiting on a revision. once upon a time B. smithi and B. auratum were thought of as the same species with B.auratum as the highland form of B. smithi until it was reclassified. a revision of G. rosea/poteri is long overdue.

Last edited:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm talking more about the physical differences that separate the two species from each other and other members of it's genus. Like Haplopelma minax and H.vonwirthi. Thanks though.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm curious about this too. I'm colorblind so red and brown are the same to me. I just have to take someone's word for it and I think we all know how unscrupulous some people can be. What can I look for to differentiate the two without using color as a guide, or is there a difference other than color?