Saw some weird patches at the back of the abdomen of my new GBB and Chaco sling, is this normal?

xednycrex

Arachnopeon
Hi fellow hobbyist my name is Xednyc, I'm currently new with this wonderful hobby and I had just bought my first (slings) GBB and Chaco a few days ago (saturday). I'm just wondering if the weird looking patches on the back of the abdomen of my Ts are normal. I'm really concerned because I don't know if some parasite did that to them or they're just in the stage of pre-molt. I hope my Ts are just fine, I'm really having a great time taking care these beautiful creatures!

here are the pictures of my Ts posing their abdomens:
(I took these pictures with my flash on)

My chaco (still has no name, any suggestions? :) )
CHACO 2.jpg

My beautiful GBB Zephyr (notice the weird looking patches on their abdomen?)
GBB 2.jpg

and here are some of their pictures I took on their old enclosure, that's the first day when I got them:
CHACO 1.jpg
GBB 1.jpg

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Totally normal. They are referred do to as "mirror patches". Nice looking T's you have there.

xednycrex

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the response HungryGhost! :)

Phew! At the moment there I was in a bit of a worrying mode, Thanks again HG!
Btw are "mirror patches" somewhat like "birth marks" like we have, but they are the Ts version of it? just wondering :)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
What you're seeing are the tarantulas' patches of urticating "hairs", sometimes called a mirror patch for obvious reasons. Those hairs, by the by, are no joke and will cause irritation on any dermis they come into contact with, a reaction that varies from person to person but seems to become more intense with continued exposure. If they kick them at you, you'll want to move your face away immediately as getting them in your eyes, nose or lungs can be very bad.

And no, urticating hair patches are not like birth marks--every tarantula of a species that has them will have them. There's nothing unique or unusual about it.

xednycrex

Arachnopeon
I see, Thanks for the response Belle. I'll be extra careful with them from now on.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are healthy looking Ts. I HOPE that GBB's container isn't it's home, as that circle is TOO small. Plus they are a faster species, and it will zip right out of that before you can blink. Good choices!