Help is my t.stirmi in pre molt or is something wrong

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like its ready to pop! That shine you see is a good sign that a molt is in the very near future.

Akai

Arachnobaron
this is definitely one of those tarantulas that if it doesn't eat then it's probably in pre-molt. has it not molted in your care before? how often do you feed it and how much do you feed it? if it stops eating and with a butt like that, there can be only one logical conclusion. :wink:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Looks like a silver water balloon!! Incredible. I'd also assume that yes, that does indeed look like a pre-molt spider.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't know if it's the glare or lighting, but that looks too silvery. Normally they're black, not silver when premolt. Like there's something wrong inside, like a tumor or parasite (I'm speculating). I have a w/c E murinus that has something similar-looking with her abdomen, although it's more clear. She's been like that for about 2 years and is eating and active. Still concerns me.

Akai

Arachnobaron
i think the flash might have something to do with the look of this stirmi but I could be speculating as well.

stirmiguy98

Arachnopeon
its from the flash i usually feed him 6 large crickets every two weeks and yep he is refusing food

Akai

Arachnobaron
is this your first molt with him? his abdomen is going to turn black as he nears molt. this will be easy to see since his butt is bald. this could be days or a weeks from now but it is around the corner. pretty soon you're going to have a new bigger tarantula with new setae and all. how big is he?