P. metallica timelines for setting up breeding/trade out

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just recently had a 3.5" P. metallica sexed male via Epiandrous fusillae on sexing section and I want to prep to maximize breeding success.

He is 3.5" and one year old. How long time wise or what size DLS should I expect him hooking out? Should I start looking for a breeding trade now or wait until hooks?

As a relative newcomer to the hobby, should I even consider purchasing a Female and attempt breeding inhouse?

Thanks

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Your male may mature next shed, maybe the one after. They're one of the smaller Poecs. Purchase an adult female? You missed the boat on that one. They've been advertised here for $400-$500. You have that kind of money? If you did, you wouldn't have bought only one sling. No guarantee you'll get a sac either. Far from it. Plus, many tropical species only live 10-15 years, and you just may be buying someone's old, burnt out, overbred female. Your best bet is a breeding loan with someone reliable and experienced.

Poecilotheria don't 'hook out', its a bad term that needs to be eliminated. In about 2 dozen genera the adult males lack tibial spurs.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
i had 2 males this year (brothers) one matured in january. prior to maturing he was in between 4-4.5"
i thought for sure his brother would mature shortly after, and keep in mind they were roughly the same size. well the brother just molted in july and is still not mature. he is over 5" now, pretty much the same size as his mature brother.
i would advise you do NOT loan him out if you dont plan on buying a female...just try to sell him as penult male. should be able to get close to $150 for him.
P. metallicas are one of the hardest pokies to be successful with...and even if the loan recipient was successful......there is a good chance they wont tell you so. just sell him for a sure payday

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 09:51 PM ----------

also...it doesnt take a ton of experience llike poec54 will lead you and so many others to believe. luck is what you need. i got lucky with some gootys this year. but still had some bad luck...out of the 90 eggs, 25 werent fertile.. and i had a handful die from ewl:1in:2in...but all 48 went from 2nd instar to 3rd instar with no problems. if you read breeding reports, people will say they have problems doing that stage. and keep all that in mind...there are a lot "problems" the person you loaned him to, could say happened. dont loan unless you truely trust the breeder. there are people like poec54 that hatch out slings and then sell them to pet stores/online dealers/ etc for wholesale prices...so you wont be able to catch them selling YOUR slings on the boards...

for the record, fuzzy liked my comment prior to me writing the 2nd portion...not sure if s/he is in poec54's gang, so dont get mad at him/her

Last edited:

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your male may mature next shed, maybe the one after. They're one of the smaller Poecs. Purchase an adult female? You missed the boat on that one. They've been advertised here for $400-$500. You have that kind of money? If you did, you wouldn't have bought only one sling. No guarantee you'll get a sac either. Far from it. Plus, many tropical species only live 10-15 years, and you just may be buying someone's old, burnt out, overbred female. Your best bet is a breeding loan with someone reliable and experienced.

Poecilotheria don't 'hook out', its a bad term that needs to be eliminated. In about 2 dozen genera the adult males lack tibial spurs.
Although I'm quite sure that you are ill-equipped to hypothesize on my current financial situation, as noted in the next post, the issue with receiving a burnt out female is just as much an issue as receiving a false negative announcement on a successful breeding attempt via 50/50 trade.

I was asking for rough timelines/sizes. It would have sufficed to say "Look for sperm web activity rather than tibial hooks". Not that your flourish on the lack of hooks in this species didn't entertain. Consider me enlightened.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't look for sperm web either, you look for their big red bulbs on the male's pedipulps. I actually never look for hooks, especially on smaller species and males.

Last edited:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
hostile? you guys are just way too sensitive
Not that at all. I only care because this should not be a community where people fight unless someone is scamming. This is where people come for information and exploration, not to be irritated or overly criticized by someone who thinks they know everything about anyone interested in getting something without some experience, though they may have skills for it.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Is it just me or have the boards been really hostile lately?
You're not alone. Several people need to use the old adage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Just drop it guys, alright? All this arguing and taking offense is going nowhere. NOWHERE. Understand? Good. Let's answer the OP's question now, instead of turning yet another thread into a battleground.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
So with all the old timers "taking vacations" that leaves the newcomers to fight amongst themselves? :( Not all of us are interested in the in fighting and bickering. some of us value the advice and experience of those who have been here the longest. SOME of us are looking for new aquaintances and friendships here that they can't find in our every day lives because, really, not many people around me even want to tolerate my spiders. :( this is the only place I can really go to talk about them and if half of you leave, well.. this just sucks. Can't we just kick the most hostile amongst us out? :p (j/k.. mostly)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm in no one's gang lol. I just do my own thing and try to help as much as possible. I truly enjoy helping other, that's why I'm becoming a nurse. And for the record I'm a man damnit!! lol. I bet it's because of my name. :/

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
Not that at all. I only care because this should not be a community where people fight unless someone is scamming. This is where people come for information and exploration, not to be irritated or overly criticized by someone who thinks they know everything about anyone interested in getting something without some experience, though they may have skills for it.
hello, welcome to the real world where not everyone agrees all the time and on occasion will debate with passion

and what are you guys talking about...i pointed out some very important info to OP...nobody is fighting..

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
I'm in no one's gang lol. I just do my own thing and try to help as much as possible. I truly enjoy helping other, that's why I'm becoming a nurse. And for the record I'm a man damnit!! lol. I bet it's because of my name. :/
well done focker...(you should seriously change your name to that :))

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 11:05 PM ----------

It seems like you are only here to make trouble. Hmmmm...
and it seems you have made 4 posts in this thread NONE OF WHICH relate to OP's question/concerns...i on the other hand HAVE CONTRIBUTED

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha, don't be jealous! ;) And I'm leaving the hobby anyway for a long time. I'm just on here waiting for some responses and enjoying socializing with arachnonerds just like myself for the last time.