Immature, suspect P. audax

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I caught this little gem on the side of my car while walking my dog today. Boy, I never ran so fast for a catch cup in my life. I've been looking to catch a jumping spider for a while, and this one walked right into my life. Jumped into my life? Anyway, I believe it is an immature P. audax from google image search. I could be totally wrong, and I can't get any good pictures. It's got a small bit of orange on it's abdomen, as well as a metallic green spot. It also has orange-ish tinted pedipalps and metallic green-blue fangs. It also has faint stripes on it's legs.

The enclosure is upside down, with a very heavy screw top lid to keep it stable. There is a water dish in the lid, and I am going to add more holes tomorrow. I'm not satisfied with just the bottom, I'd like more air flow. He or she has already made a little web tunnel in the top corner though.

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Congrats on your find! It does indeed look like a young P. audax.

Your setup looks good, and as you stated, more airholes will be awesome. Jumpers need very good cross-ventilation.

As for water, I never used anything but a misting bottle. They much prefer to drink from waterdrops.

Good luck with your new friend! :D

Akai

Arachnobaron
love jumpers. one of my spider first loves as a kid. they are fascinating and really quite intelligent. i love the look of their faces and the constant movement of their chelecrae. what color is yours? this makes me want to go to Phids.net to buy some. lol

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Great find! If you want more air holes, an easy way to do it, I've found, is to hold a small nail over a tea light with pliers and heat it until it's hot enough to melt holes. Works way better than drilling in my opinion. :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Congrats on your find! It does indeed look like a young P. audax.

Your setup looks good, and as you stated, more airholes will be awesome. Jumpers need very good cross-ventilation.

As for water, I never used anything but a misting bottle. They much prefer to drink from waterdrops.

Good luck with your new friend! :D
Ohh, I will definitely add more air holes and make sure I mist one of the sides for it periodically then, thanks!

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

love jumpers. one of my spider first loves as a kid. they are fascinating and really quite intelligent. i love the look of their faces and the constant movement of their chelecrae. what color is yours? this makes me want to go to Phids.net to buy some. lol
Yes, I love the way jumpers move. The almost hesitant little walk, stopping to pause and actually look around. In some high-def macro videos, you can actually see their eyes move as the look around. Mine is mostly black with some faint orange, a little orange on the butt, and some metallic green/blue too.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 11:25 AM ----------

Great find! If you want more air holes, an easy way to do it, I've found, is to hold a small nail over a tea light with pliers and heat it until it's hot enough to melt holes. Works way better than drilling in my opinion. :)
Indeed, that's how I make the holes in my enclosures! But I haven't used a nail yet as it's too big for what I've needed to do. I have, on the other hand, used small to large sewing needles (my favorite is the needle meant for machines, it is extra long and has a textured back to it for a good grip) and even bobby pins.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Looks good Miss Moxie, hope you enjoy your new jumper! It's great when they seem to be looking at you with those sharp eyes, once I had one in a particularly bad mood and he kept thrashing his front legs up and down and staring at me lol I kept hearing him say "Come at me bro!" lol good stuff...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Looks good Miss Moxie, hope you enjoy your new jumper! It's great when they seem to be looking at you with those sharp eyes, once I had one in a particularly bad mood and he kept thrashing his front legs up and down and staring at me lol I kept hearing him say "Come at me bro!" lol good stuff...
That's so funny. They have such funny mannerisms. It is wonderful watching them. The constant bob of their pedipalps are almost hypnotic.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
IMO, holes are better placed towards the bottom, to allow the Co2 to leak out better.