MF Euathlus sp. "red" -- premolt

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Welp, I'm in a pre-molt countdown as of today. My little lady's gone black in the back. I've heard adults can be in pre-molt for practically an eternity, and I'm assuming since this species has such a slow growth rate they probably have a very slow pre-molt to molt period too. Just a guesstimate though. Anyone have any firsthand experience with this? If I wave a German flag, will Storm76 appear to answer? lol

Akai

Arachnobaron
Have you raised her from a sling an if you have, how long did it take her to attain this size? btw love the (silk?) flower. where do you get them since you had something similar in your jumper enclosure? lovely T btw.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
if I wave a German flag, will Storm76 appear to answer? lol
hahaha probably ;)

as for the real question im not sure on how long it would typically take. my pal has a few reds and one molts like it was a sling tho is 5yrs old are full grown, molting in 5-9 days after a shiny rump is noticed..to where one will take a month and another one just molted after 3-4 months of what my buddy calls "blueberry butt syndrome"[because she always molts sooooo slow LMAO

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
increasing humidity and temp can stimulate a molt. Molting is a dangerous time.. if the humidity is too low, they can dry out while molting and get stuck.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Have you raised her from a sling an if you have, how long did it take her to attain this size? btw love the (silk?) flower. where do you get them since you had something similar in your jumper enclosure? lovely T btw.
Goodness no, I purchased her this size. I do have two Euathlus sp. "red" slings that I'm raising currently, and Storm76 said several years before they go from .25" to maturity. His MM is at 2" in 3 years time, and the females are still growing.

As for the flowers, I purchased them from Hobby Lobby. Any big craft store would have silk/plastic flowers though. AC Moore, Michaels, and whatever large art supply store chain you might have in the south that I'm woefully unaware of. Then I cut them up and hot glue them until they're to my liking.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 12:55 AM ----------

increasing humidity and temp can stimulate a molt. Molting is a dangerous time.. if the humidity is too low, they can dry out while molting and get stuck.
I'll turn up the heat. Would soaking a corner of her substrate suffice for adding humidity?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can't predict an exact time, but mine usually molted within a month when they showed black abdomen. Yours will molt when it's ready. Make sure the waterdish is filled and otherwise leave alone :)

PS: I'd add a waterdish to the Avic enclosure. Besides that, it looks fine.

Last edited:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
She's beautiful, moxie. By the time I go to pension in 12 years time, my little 1/4" MIGHT have matured. :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Can't predict an exact time, but mine usually molted within a month when they showed black abdomen. Yours will molt when it's ready. Make sure the waterdish is filled and otherwise leave alone :)

PS: I'd add a waterdish to the Avic enclosure. Besides that, it looks fine.
My A. versi does have a water dish, I just took those pictures before.

I will make sure her dish stays full, and I will leave her be. Turn up the heat a little bit and hope for the best. She is a sweet girl, I don't want anything to happen to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

She's beautiful, moxie. By the time I go to pension in 12 years time, my little 1/4" MIGHT have matured. :)
Yours and mine both hahaha.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My A. versi does have a water dish, I just took those pictures before.

I will make sure her dish stays full, and I will leave her be. Turn up the heat a little bit and hope for the best. She is a sweet girl, I don't want anything to happen to her.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

Yours and mine both hahaha.

They are. Oddly enough, one of my suspect female E. sp. "red" seems to have an attitude developing...I'll have to see if I'm suspecting correctly, or she was just very hungry... :D

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
They are. Oddly enough, one of my suspect female E. sp. "red" seems to have an attitude developing...I'll have to see if I'm suspecting correctly, or she was just very hungry... :D
Oh!! A Euathlus sp. "red" with a temper? That would be interesting to see. I haven't even heard of one threat posing before!

Zeek

Arachnopeon
My eu sp blue was in pre molt since June and only molted end of august. I dont know if reds are similar, but euathlus are slow growing from what I read

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Update!

Welp, today around 12:00 I noticed she was flipped over onto her back. I ran out to walmart and bought a warm-mist humidifier and turned it on high for her. The pictures/video go in order, from about 12pm to 4:30pm.

[video=youtube;W9MVOgRy5Vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MVOgRy5Vk&list=UUS841ECdoRh7GL2iVf416Vg[/video]

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Why did you get a humidifier?
I've been meaning to pick one up before winter hit. As the weather cools down and I have to use a heater to keep the temperature up, I wanted to combat any drying of the air that might occur. And since she was flipped, it seemed like as good a time as any. It is to my understanding that increased humidity lowers the risk of their molt drying out and sticking to them.

When I got her, it looked as if she'd dropped one of her legs and regenerated it. I'm not sure if molting a regenerated leg is trickier for them than than a regular molt or not. Either way, I thought it better to err on the side of caution rather than no caution at all.