Found this tarantula

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok a friend of mine found it for me here in Texas so I'm guessing A. hentzi which are super common here. He found one wandering by his workplace and I was assuming that it was a mature male, but decided to take a look anyways. It turns out that it's still a juvie, but its body type indicates that it's a male(spindly legs, slim abdomen to carapace ratio even after being well fed) but I wouldn't know for sure until it molts. It's very docile even more so than any captive bred species docile species I've had, but still butchers up prey like a champ. I put him in a shoe box with half a plastic cup for a hide but he hasn't moved from that corner at all for 3 days. It just sits there all day and waits for prey to come to him.

Last edited:

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
That's typical of any T which is WC or rehoused even. Give it some time and it will begin to become more confident.

Akai

Arachnobaron
it actually looks more like an A.anax. do you have pics with a flash or better yet daylight pics? i catch and release several of these a year.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
it actually looks more like an A.anax. do you have pics with a flash or better yet daylight pics? i catch and release several of these a year.
good eye. It does.

But keep in mind, in one species, variation is tremendous.

Many species once assigned to the hentzi complex are now invalid. anax is quite massive in build, even compared to hentzi, which is a bulky aphono itself.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what is the DLS span? These are hard to sex without molt. The long legs don't appear until after male matures along with hooks and bulbous pedipalps. Could very possibly be a female. good find

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Anax are pretty much contained to the very southern portion of Texas. Anywhere in Central Texas ought to be a Hentzi. I have found immature males out wandering. It could be either gender from that photo.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's very docile even more so than any captive bred species docile species I've had
I've had w/c tarantulas for over 40 years, and have owned more w/c's than just about anybody here. I've seen no differences in temperaments between w/c and CBB that can't be attributed to individual spider personalities.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
what is the DLS span? These are hard to sex without molt. The long legs don't appear until after male matures along with hooks and bulbous pedipalps. Could very possibly be a female. good find
ventral sexing is pretty easy when you learn how to pinch grab.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Located in North Central Texas.

Many species once assigned to the hentzi complex are now invalid. anax is quite massive in build, even compared to hentzi, which is a bulky aphono itself.
I heard about that also. I moved a little more up North from Central texas. I should update my profile.

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'm still going with hentzi. I have a huge 6" anax female, this T looks nothing like her. I have several Anax that were just hand-delivered to me from Brownsville, where the anax are found. And for temperament, what was posted earlier is true. I have CB spiders with tempers, that are doll babies, and several WC that are just as docile as the CB. I have an Irminia female that comes out, sits in the open, lets me take photos of her. Have had a WC hentzi stroll right out of the catch cup and sit on my hand for an hour. No reason to think any single WC is going to be more or less docile - individuals vary.