Doritos or lays for tarantulas...

Spidergurl24

Arachnopeon
Is like asking crickets or roaches. Which do you think is better?(easier to breed, easier housing, small space taken up, noise). No I don't feed my tarantulas Doritos or lays. My dogs prefer cheesy nachos , but will eat either.:laugh:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I bet that legalized marijuana is pretty sweet over there , huh?

Tangle

Arachnopeon
I prefer to feed mine roaches, B. lats. I tried crickets and hated them. The crickets chirped and while it's cute when I'm backpacking it's not so cute when I'm in my own bed. The roaches are easy to breed and they don't make noise. So far all my T's have taken them...I use pinhead up to adult size. They're fast and kinda fun to chase when one gets loose...or not.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I wish you could get roaches at my LPS. Crickets suck for a few reasons. The chirping males. The females can lay eggs in your Ts enclosures. They die off randomly. Some people say they smell. Maybe that's if you breed them. But nearly all tarantulas eat them it seems.

Roaches I've heard not all Ts eat. And some smell? Do dubias smell?

No chirping though. I've heard lats work well too. I just don't feel like ordering feeders through the mail.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i dont like chasing around fast little crickets trying not to compleatly distroy them.. tho i do have some pinheads. but those are for my fish soon XD maybe some smaller slings if they get to small size.. but i prefer my dubia.. almost no need to do anything but make sure they have hard food, give them table scraps and water at least once a week and they thrive.. crickets require too much to breed imo and the ammonia of one dieing kills them all to where i have all sizes all the time, a dead one? okay kool ill grab it later when i feel like it

and ofcourse with crix they are noisy and smelly buut ig if you dont take propper care of them anything could be lol

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I do like dubias a lot more. I don't breed but when I will it is certainly going to be dubias. And that comment was perfect if you are not a literal person, mainly because I would answer before thinking about rhetorical questions.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I dunno.. that comment was dead on. I think they'd like the insect equivalent of doritos a bit more ;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
What do you guys use to catch pinhead crickets?

So I have (left, middle, right) 18" rubber tipped tongs, plastic 6" tongs, metal 10" tongs. The 6" ones I got for pinheads but they kind of suck. Too bulkly and wobbly. It's by zoo med. The 10" are more accurate but it's still such a pain. And they're wide too and cause a kot of casualties. Mush cricket my Ts don't like.

Attachments

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I just dump a bunch into a container and freeze them for a few minutes. Ive yet to have anything, scorpion, or spider, refuse dead food. In the wild, if they come across it, they'll eat it.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just dump a bunch into a container and freeze them for a few minutes. Ive yet to have anything, scorpion, or spider, refuse dead food. In the wild, if they come across it, they'll eat it.
It's not dead food that's the issue.... It's like accidental mush... Sometimes the cricket ends up just part of the tongs and scraped off like roadkill in a cartoon. :/

Dead crickets are whatever. I never waste ome of those. YOU'LL EAT YOUR DINNER CHILDREN!

cold blood

Staff member
Goby, I use an empty vial (that once had a sling sent in it). Lower it into the crickets and guide one in at a time, or just scoop one...easy as pie!

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I bet that legalized marijuana is pretty sweet over there , huh?
There is plenty of good uses for marijuana... smoking it is just one of them :clown:

Definitely doritos :-D

I use crickets as they are the cheapest and most available at LPS.
I put my crickets in the fridge for a couple of minutes, from pinheads to large, to slow them down. I will brush the pinheads off a slice of vegetable into the enclosure and I will use really small tongs to catch the small crickets, the big ones are easy enough with the hand. They only start to smell if you dont keep their container clean but I have not bred feeders before.

darkdestiny

Arachnopeon
I give all 4 of mine crickets, I tried roaches but they wouldn't take to them (though my avic did try to fight roach) plus roaches are illegal here now too

awiec

Arachnoprince
Goby, I use an empty vial (that once had a sling sent in it). Lower it into the crickets and guide one in at a time, or just scoop one...easy as pie!
This. I have a small vial I use as my choo choo of doom for the crickets, I just open the cap and fling the cricket where I want it to go. I only use tongs for dead crickets or roaches.

gobey

Arachnoknight
This. I have a small vial I use as my choo choo of doom for the crickets, I just open the cap and fling the cricket where I want it to go. I only use tongs for dead crickets or roaches.
Choo choo of doom.... Now say how does this work for getting a single pinhead cricket into a deli cup with an OBT sling that thinks it's arboreal and lives on the lid? That's why I'm using tongs right now. I open the lid a crack and place the cricket inside. I suppose i can just give the tricky buggers all pre killed still.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Choo choo of doom.... Now say how does this work for getting a single pinhead cricket into a deli cup with an OBT sling that thinks it's arboreal and lives on the lid? That's why I'm using tongs right now. I open the lid a crack and place the cricket inside. I suppose i can just give the tricky buggers all pre killed still.
Well I've gotten pretty good at flinging crickets so I could manages but in that case I would probably use tongs. Most of my cage set ups just lend themselves to the vial trick as the majority of my collection is very excitable so I prefer to not have them run up my tongs during feeding time. Also the thud that the cricket makes cues them in on getting ready for food.

Spidergurl24

Arachnopeon
The Choo Choo of Doom! Wow I was laughing so hard. I do use tongs as my rosea can more easily get the cricket.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah I just need the tongs to drop the cricket in. I'm not sticking my finger near that little spaz.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah I just need the tongs to drop the cricket in. I'm not sticking my finger near that little spaz.
My fingers never go in the cage, I just take the vial, open the cage and bam, cricket on the ground.