Speaking of molting behaviour, P. ultramarinus

Saark

Arachnosquire
I got my first pamphos a bit over a month ago, a 2" ultramarinus and a slightly smaller nigricolor. The nigricolor is always out, shows no desire to burrow or use a hide at all and molted out in the open. The ultramarinus, on the other hand, burrowed down under its hide and completely back filled it 3 or 4 weeks ago. It dug right to the corner of the enclosure so I have a little window into the burrow. It molted 10 days ago, I can see the molt pressed against the little "window" :)

Anyway, on to my question, does the ultramarinus typically like to be reclusive and spend its time in a burrow rather than out in the open? Is it more of a sling/juvenile behaviour? Am I going to have a really pretty and very expensive pet rock that lives in a hole? lol I'm really fighting the urge to open the burrow because that would just be mean since it is probably comfortable down there.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I got my first pamphos a bit over a month ago, a 2" ultramarinus and a slightly smaller nigricolor. The nigricolor is always out, shows no desire to burrow or use a hide at all and molted out in the open. The ultramarinus, on the other hand, burrowed down under its hide and completely back filled it 3 or 4 weeks ago. It dug right to the corner of the enclosure so I have a little window into the burrow. It molted 10 days ago, I can see the molt pressed against the little "window" :)

Anyway, on to my question, does the ultramarinus typically like to be reclusive and spend its time in a burrow rather than out in the open? Is it more of a sling/juvenile behaviour? Am I going to have a really pretty and very expensive pet rock that lives in a hole? lol I'm really fighting the urge to open the burrow because that would just be mean since it is probably comfortable down there.
A lot of T's will seal themselves off in a new environment, I would imagine its part of the adjustment period. Some adjust very quickly and set up shop almost immediately (Chilobrachys and Ephebopus come to mind), and some do not adjust very fast and will become recluse after a rehouse. My L. Violaceopes built a burrow and didn't come out for probably two months the last time I rehoused her. I had an LP did the same thing, and after about a month and a half, it came out and began spending most of its time out of the hide.

cold blood

Staff member
My nigricolor never hid for a minute from the day I got it (at 1"). Now its pushing 3" and the other day I was surprised to find sub moved all over the place, the water dish buried under 2" of sub, sub piled onto and over the hide (which its never used). When I located the t, it was in the back corner creating a burrow with a nice little lair down at the bottom. Its always molted right in the open and its nearing another, I guess this time it wanted to be underground. Ya just never know when a t will have a change of heart regarding its lifestyle.

Saark

Arachnosquire
Yay! The ultramarinus finally came out of its burrow! And I immediately startled it right back in. :o_O: