Getting a A. Versicolor

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
I should be getting my 1/2" Versicolor sling next week. I've done a ton of reading and I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Ideally, what's most important with keeping these slings is ventilation. My enclosure is going to be cross ventilated from the bottom up, as well as the lid being completely ventilated. I know low humidity is always better than stagnant high humidity. I'm thinking of wetting the bottom layer of substrate once a week. I'll be using a syringe and trickling the water down the side of the enclosure. I will also be dropping a few droplets in the webbing for the sling to drink once a week.

Feeding is going to occur 2-3 times a week with 1/4" crickets.

So far, I think I'm going to use a plastic container measuring 4"x3.5"x5.5". Is this too big?

I'm going to use 1" of soil and include a piece of wood and fake plants. Since the sling is going to be only 1/2" I'm likely going to make ventilation holes with a thumbtack.

How does this sound so far? I'm open to any suggestions and tips :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds good. Provide a vertical hide and only feed once a week or once every 5 days or so. I would use flightless fruit flies until about an inch dls.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This is how I keep all my Avic slings, including versicolor:

- 16 oz deli cup with 2 or 3 rings of small holes near the upper sides (made with a soldering iron or drill bit, thumbtack holes are too small). This gives adequate cross ventilation. You don't need holes in the lid, as that ruins the microclimate effect.

- dry substrate. I don't moisten mine, but I'm in Florida. When you're running the furnace, indoor humidity drops way down. You're better off using a room humidifier. lightly moisten the sphagnum when the room air is really dry, not the substrate. if the substrate stays moist, it can kill an Avic at any size. MUCH easier to add moisture than remove it.

- piece of plastic plant (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit).

- some long fiber sphagnum under the plastic plant.

- small, shallow water bowl (from 16 oz water bottle). keep full with clean water.

- lightly mist the silk sheet/tube once a week, not the substrate! this is for drinking, not humidity.

- put in several small crickets at a time. the spider will grab them when it's hungry. the spider will be high up enough so that if it molts, the crickets can't get to it.

- keep spider cage away from hot/cold drafts, fumes, smoke, odors, chemicals, etc.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds good to me. Mine get a waterdish once they hit 1"-1.5".

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sounds good to me. Mine get a waterdish once they hit 1"-1.5".
I give them water bowls at 1/2". That way I get the humidity where I want it and don't have to rely on misting. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make with Avics is overmisting. Moisture can build up in the substrate.

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies!

As long as it's safe, I'd like to use a small water dish. I'll also be adding a top layer of sphagnum.

As for ventilation, I was thinking of making a ring a few mm above substrate level and then a few more every 1-1 1/2". If I don't need ventilation a holes on the lid, I'll leave that out.

cold blood

Staff member
I give them water bowls at 1/2". That way I get the humidity where I want it and don't have to rely on misting. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make with Avics is overmisting. Moisture can build up in the substrate.
+1 I do the same, without issue. I use a syringe to place water droplets on the webbing weekly. I've never misted.

I will say that I wouldn't completely ventilate the top, too much venting up top can inhibit the micro-climate you are trying to create, I just punch holes in the top and concentrate the major venting on the sides. You don't want the humidity the dish is providing to just go right out the top.

When mine were 1/2", they NEVER had an issue catching, killing and eating small crickets...they are good eaters and shouldn't require PITA fruit flies...plus FF lack certain things beneficial to the sling, crickets are a more complete meal.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm aware. When they're below 1" I keep half the substrate slightly moist and water them by dropping a few droplets into their webbing though. Little bit more of work, but I have made good experiences this way. Considering I have only 0.5"-1" of substrate in their enclosures anyways, not a big deal. And since I use mesh in the lids enough way to dry out within a week again. No danger of drowning them in humidity. Like I said, I've made good experiences my way :)

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
I think I'm going to stick with crickets as meals and perhaps switch over to worms once it's big enough. 1/4" crickets should be perfect correct?

I'm also assuming I should just moisten the sphagnum once a week with a syringe? I'm guessing just a few droplets should suffice.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think I'm going to stick with crickets as meals and perhaps switch over to worms once it's big enough. 1/4" crickets should be perfect correct?

I'm also assuming I should just moisten the sphagnum once a week with a syringe? I'm guessing just a few droplets should suffice.

1/4 crickets shouldn't be an issue, my versi has taken out crickets the size of itself (not that I recommend that) as either it will come down to the cricket or the cricket bounces around the cork enough that mine just waltzes over and grabs it. It all depends what you're weather is like, in the winter I'm less generous with water because we have more wet winters here, from what I understand parts of Canada have very dry winters so you may have to wet your moss more often. I'd only wet it when it appears to be dry as that way you know you aren't getting crazy with the moisture and can adjust with the seasonal changes.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Only moisten the substrate if it will dry out in a couple days. It can't stay moist. I never moisten my Avic substrate.

Adding a 'top layer of sphagnum'...what does that mean? On the substrate or in place of it? You don't need a layer of sphagnum, just a little under the plastic plant.

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks guys.

I was thinking of adding a small layer over my plantation soil substrate. If I don't need that much, I'll just add a small tuft.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Ok thanks guys.

I was thinking of adding a small layer over my plantation soil substrate. If I don't need that much, I'll just add a small tuft.

a small amount should do what you want it to do. even in my more "swampy" spider cages I only have about 1/3 of the cage with moss in there to keep the humidity up.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

A layer of sphagnum on the substrate will prevent the substrate from getting air and drying out, so it could retain moisture and make a stuffy cage without you realizing it until it's too late. You have to be able to see exactly how dry or moist the substrate is. It's very simple to keep Avics healthy, you don't want to make it more complicated.

cold blood

Staff member
It all depends what you're weather is like, in the winter I'm less generous with water because we have more wet winters here, from what I understand parts of Canada have very dry winters so you may have to wet your moss more often.
Hmmm, that's unexpected since you are just across the lake...In WI the winters are crazy dry, desert dry, and it doesn't matter how much snow falls either.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hmmm, that's unexpected since you are just across the lake...In WI the winters are crazy dry, desert dry, and it doesn't matter how much snow falls either.
Well not only do the storms come over lake Michigan but lake Huron is pretty close too so we get lots of piles of nice packing snow and our winters can be rainy, but I still get dry skin every year.

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
Noted. I'll keep a small amount of sphagnum moss.

Also, what do you guys think about keeping the sling in the original 40 dram pill bottle until it molts?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Noted. I'll keep a small amount of sphagnum moss.

Also, what do you guys think about keeping the sling in the original 40 dram pill bottle until it molts?

Vials are not really the friend of an avic. I housed mine in a 32oz salad cup when it was 3/4 inches but a 16 oz one will make them happy too. They will come down at their own leisure to grab crickets and the container size helps keep the right humidity and gives the avic plenty of air space.

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
Do you think it would be ok in the the container size I previously mentioned? I don't want him in anything too big nor too small.

Thanks for the help.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No vials for Avic slings! The ventilation is poor and it's too easy to get them too humid/moist. Get a 16 oz deli cup, you can buy the by the sleeve at restaurant supply stores for a few dollars. It's just not worth screwing around and trying to short cut things. You have a forum name of 'versicolor.' You owe it to your spider to do this right.

A couple weeks ago I got some versicolor and diversipes slings, 1/2" They're in 16 oz cups, exactly the way I told you on page one. Make it a priority tomorrow to get a proper set up. There have been a lot of 'My Dead Avic' threads here over the years.

Last edited: