Genus Listing with Locations?

Potential

Arachnopeon
I'm new here and having a bit of trouble locating some information so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Is there a list of genuses somewhere stating whether they are NW or OW? I'm VERY new to the world of T's and am researching every aspect I can in order to make the most educated decision possible. I see a lot of T's listed under their scientific name, but I'm having difficulty knowing if the species being discussed is NW or OW. I'm also seeing a lot of dicussion about particular genuses, which is confusing for me, as I'm still trying to familiarize myself with NW/OW behavior, defense mechanisms, quickness, etc.

CBickert

Arachnopeon
A quick response would be to go to www.swiftinverts.com as he lists spiders as OW/NW and AB/TR. Since you are a beginner he should carry most of the species you would be looking at getting. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give another source, possibly more comprehensive.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Where the tarantula is from should turn up in your research (if not, you're not researching enough) and that will tell you if it's New or Old World. NW are from the Americas, OW is Africa all the way across through Asia and Australia.

Potential

Arachnopeon
Wonderful CBickert! That was very helpful! Thank you so much!!!!!

Belle Fury-part of my research is reading through bite reports, members experiences, etc. I know that all T's are individuals, but I also know that certain species are more likely to be defensive quicker than others. I'm considering all aspects when making my decision.

IMO-the most accurate information will be from personal experiences verifying information found on the web and in books.

Last edited:

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wonderful CBickert! That was very helpful! Thank you so much!!!!!

Belle Fury-part of my research is reading through bite reports, members experiences, etc. I know that all T's are individuals, but I also know that certain species are more likely to be defensive quicker than others. I'm considering all aspects when making my decision.

IMO-the most accurate information will be from personal experiences verifying information found on the web and in books.
The most accurate information will not be from personal individual information by and large. These are the smallest sample sizes and are often not corroborated by anything.

Read T keeper's guide. The author as well as Swift, and a few of the heavy collectors here are your best source by far. The Internet is too full of rogue scholars without the actual work or experience.

Potential

Arachnopeon
The most accurate information will not be from personal individual information by and large. These are the smallest sample sizes and are often not corroborated by anything.

Read T keeper's guide. The author as well as Swift, and a few of the heavy collectors here are your best source by far. The Internet is too full of rogue scholars without the actual work or experience.
You are referring to the T Keeper's Guide, written by Shultz, correct? I want to make sure I get the right one.

On a VERY preliminary level, I'm considering a chaco golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes). However, I have a lot more research to do.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You are referring to the T Keeper's Guide, written by Shultz, correct? I want to make sure I get the right one.

On a VERY preliminary level, I'm considering a chaco golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes). However, I have a lot more research to do.
Yes. It is pretty thorough and VERY little of the info in there is contested in the slightest.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

On a side note, my recommendation for maximum interest with minimal specialized needs is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescans.

DVMT

Arachnosquire

G. pulchripes would be a great starter T. Most of them are docile, fairly slow, and hearty. I have one and she is one of my favorites. Very good looking T as well....but I kinda say that about all of em...lol

Damon

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Although I love the grammostola genus I personally feel they are a good beginner t but not a great t, my reasons for this are some of this genus fast for no reason and it can last several months and grammys can be moody 1 minute sweet the next minute nuts. I do however own 2 grammys a G pulchra and a G iheringi and up to now ive never had a mood swing from either. If your research in to the grammostola pulchripes doesn't fill all your t needs look into Brachypelma and Aphonopelma species they also contain colourful beginner friendly ts.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Although I love the grammostola genus I personally feel they are a good beginner t but not a great t, my reasons for this are some of this genus fast for no reason and it can last several months and grammys can be moody 1 minute sweet the next minute nuts. I do however own 2 grammys a G pulchra and a G iheringi and up to now ive never had a mood swing from either. If your research in to the grammostola pulchripes doesn't fill all your t needs look into Brachypelma and Aphonopelma species they also contain colourful beginner friendly ts.
I think brachys are becoming my favorite genus.....love that orange/red/black contrast, good eaters, calm and easy to work with, and so many to choose from.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think brachys are becoming my favorite genus.....love that orange/red/black contrast, good eaters, calm and easy to work with, and so many to choose from.
I was thinking about this at work the other day I have 17 different species in my collection and they are made of a few different genus they include Grammostola, Aphonopelma, Pamphobeteus, Euathlus, Paraphysa, Oligoxystre, Thrixopelma, Hapalopus, Nhandu, Crypsidromus, Brachypelma and Chromatopelma. As I sat and thought I realised I've actually obtained 4 Brachypelma without thinking about it lol but the strange thing is when I was in the hobby the 1st time around I started with a b albopilosum granted the choice wasnt as wide back then. This time around I wanted to start with 3 t's and build my collection as I saw fit the 3 I wanted were a gbb, G pulchra and a B smithi (Brachypelma again) anyway I almost stuck to the plan apart from the b smithi I changed my mind and bought a b Emilia instead as my 1st t this time around (again Brachypelma) as I stated I have 4 Brachypelma my stunning 2"+ B emilia B verdezi 1"+ and finally a B smithi 1/4" and a B annitha at just over 1/4" I feel I should have bought these slightly larger as they will probably out live me at this size lol