"T" Sitters

Potential

Arachnopeon
Who watches your T's when you go out of town?

I'm not out of town much (maybe once every 3 years), but is it difficult to find someone to watch them? My folks usually come over and take care of my animals on the rare occasion I have to go out of town, but they wouldn't take care of a tarantula.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Out of town for how long? IF there is a water dish, the temps are constant, and the T has been fed right before you go, most would be fine for 7-14 days with no "care" needed. As for care, if they can squirt water in a dish, that is probably all the care one would need if the stay away were longer than that.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've left mine for a month with no issues, and some of them were second instar spiderlings.

The most important thing is water. In addition to watering them before I leave, I also make sure the room is humid to prevent things from drying out too quickly. I pretty much accomplish this the same way I do it in the enclosure: a big water dish (plastic tub full of water in the room) and restricting ventilation (keeping the door and windows closed).

I would suggest doing a dry run (no care for three weeks or however long you are gone) and monitor how things go beforehand, just to see how they get on.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I feed mine a little heavier than usual before I go away and leave them alone with no problems.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I give mine a good snack and more water than usual and they are generally fine. My little sisters babysat my collection for me for 3 weeks, all they did was put in water into the dishes.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas are much more forgiving than you're giving them credit. I've had to leave mine for two months before, and they were only watered a couple of times in that period, thanks to a good friend who was willing to do as much. They did fine and acted like nothing happened.

Let me also state that my friend was unwilling to open any lids or containers. So any water given was administered via spraying or pouring through vents or crevices. And, only going through and doing that twice during the two month period, speaks volumes about how hardy Ts can be. Though, I knew a guy who forgot (how do you forget?) about some Pterinochilus murinus in his closet for six months and they were still alive and well when he pulled them out. Not sure how true that story is, but I wouldn't doubt it too much.

Potential

Arachnopeon
Wonderful!

I did check with my brother, who lives an hour away, and he would watch it. I would bring it to him. At least now I know it wouldn't be necessary, but he had a T years ago and would probably enjoy the experience.

We're only gone for 10 days maximum, but usually 3-5. Like I mentioned before, it's rare, but I like to make sure all bases are covered when considering a new pet, especially since my mother and father have serious arachnophobia and are the ones that come over and take care of "the critters". lol!

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For only 10 days, I wouldn't say it is even necessary to change your routine over. Maybe give fresh water the day before heading out, but that's about it.

If your parents have serious arachnophobia, you might want to consider a lock on the tank for two reasons. It will:

1. Prevent them from going "hero" and killing the "monster" in your dwelling.
2. Keep them at ease that the "monster" will not escape its imprisonment.

Potential

Arachnopeon
For only 10 days, I wouldn't say it is even necessary to change your routine over. Maybe give fresh water the day before heading out, but that's about it.

If your parents have serious arachnophobia, you might want to consider a lock on the tank for two reasons. It will:

1. Prevent them from going "hero" and killing the "monster" in your dwelling.
2. Keep them at ease that the "monster" will not escape its imprisonment.
LOL! I can rest easy knowing they won't kill the "monster", but since my brother's T escaped once (he was found and put back home), a lock would definitely make them feel better knowing my T couldn't do the same :)