"Pet Hole" Issues

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I have several species in my collection that are considered "pet holes." I knew this before buying and don't have a problem with it because, even then, there was activity of some sort to let me know things were ok. I often notice substrate moved around, new webbing, food gone, etc. so I feel comfortable that things are going as planned, and I don't disturb the t. However, I have an adult female L. violacepes that I haven't seen in months. I caught a glimpse in July one warm evening, but since then, nothing. Nor is there signsof life such as the aforementioned substrate moving, food gone, etc. I'd like to assume she is fine or in pre-molt, but is she? Is this typical of this species? (Trying to *not* dig her out of her hole.)

Oh, she's housed in a large cheez balls jar with ample vent holes, a cork tube buried in substrate about 1/3 full. She originally webbed a tunnel down the center of the tube and deposited substrate at the entrance. No sign of any new goings on in weeks and weeks...

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I have several species in my collection that are considered "pet holes." I knew this before buying and don't have a problem with it because, even then, there was activity of some sort to let me know things were ok. I often notice substrate moved around, new webbing, food gone, etc. so I feel comfortable that things are going as planned, and I don't disturb the t. However, I have an adult female L. violacepes that I haven't seen in months. I caught a glimpse in July one warm evening, but since then, nothing. Nor is there signsof life such as the aforementioned substrate moving, food gone, etc. I'd like to assume she is fine or in pre-molt, but is she? Is this typical of this species? (Trying to *not* dig her out of her hole.)

Oh, she's housed in a large cheez balls jar with ample vent holes, a cork tube buried in substrate about 1/3 full. She originally webbed a tunnel down the center of the tube and deposited substrate at the entrance. No sign of any new goings on in weeks and weeks...
I wouldn't dig her up. I had a lividum that I didn't see for 6 months and when I saw it it had molted and was missing 2 legs but it was in premolt. Just let it do it's thing.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Leave her be. I have found most L violaceopes stay hidden most of the time, and they only come out lat at night with zero disturbances. Any light or vibrations are liable to send them running for their hides. If nothing *smells* amiss, then nothing is likely amiss.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Many species are shy, and most are nocturnal. Sitting out in the open in the wild makes them an easy target for predators. Our goal as owners should be to give them naturalistic homes so they can behave in the manner they've evolved to. To have fascinating tropical animals in our homes and be able to see their secret worlds is a privilege.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To have fascinating tropical animals in our homes and be able to see their secret worlds is a privilege.

I'd leave it alone for now. I know it's tempting to check, but after many years of exotic pet stewardship, I believe in nature taking its course generally speaking.

Couldn't agree more- told the LPS staff the exact same thing yesterday! I watch them drink when possible, and esp when they clean themselves. Love seeing my Avics hang by 3 legs and groom.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unless it stinks, leave it be.

For future reference it helps to have their hidebout angled to one side. For example, I did this with Phaedra's cork-tube - it's angled to the rear right corner of the enclosure. So if I would be really worried, I'd just gently turn the enclosure on the spot and can look into it. Without having to really disturb the T within.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I'll leave her alone, but it's hard. As I said, my other pet holes have "shown me a sign." Will try different tube angles in the future. Thanks for responses. [emoji4]

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
From my personal experience, L. Violaceopes will adapt to a new surrounding fairly quickly, but not be truly "comfortable" in it for months. If this was a semi-recent acquisition (say the last 3 months), it may just not be comfortable venturing out other than in the middle of the night. My L. Violaceopes is about 4", and will come out during the day, and perform construction during the day. But when I first housed her (4 or 5 months ago), she made a burrow the first night, and didn't come out for 2 months.