Questions on A. Avicularia's

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
I got an avic avic from a pet store. Everytime I open the top lid it tries to gun out of there as quickly as possible. Could it be that it's wild caught ?
Last time I had it out. It took me about 20 minutes to get it back in. It doesn't seem to like being in the cookie jar I bout it. lol

skippydude

Arachnobaron
All avics can do this, wild or captive bred. They like to go out for a walk once and a while, whether you want them to or not :D

friendttyy

Arachnolord
My avic slings that I got yesterday are 2I and dont move around a lot. In the wild, they live on huge trees(I think huge trees lol) and there for walk around a lot to web up and capture prey. In their natural habitat there is always danger so disturbances could cause them to want to get out of there.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All avics can do this, wild or captive bred. They like to go out for a walk once and a while, whether you want them to or not :D
+1

Do you have a hide in its enclosure? It'll be less likely to bolt if it's got some where to seek shelter in

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
+1

Do you have a hide in its enclosure? It'll be less likely to bolt if it's got some where to seek shelter in
Avics?! Hide?! Except for A. pupurea who accept corkbark tubes, I have yet to see an Avic accepting a hide. Each and everyone of them will create a web castle at the top of its enclosure. The only thing it needs for that, are some things to anchor webbing onto. A slab of corkbark, some plastic plants...the like. Hides are a waste of effort for Avics.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avics?! Hide?! Except for A. pupurea who accept corkbark tubes, I have yet to see an Avic accepting a hide. Each and everyone of them will create a web castle at the top of its enclosure. The only thing it needs for that, are some things to anchor webbing onto. A slab of corkbark, some plastic plants...the like. Hides are a waste of effort for Avics.
Ah thank you for clearing that up actually, don't know why I assumed it would use it {D

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
My A. avic uses hers. She likes to sit on it and when I open her enclosure she runs inside it.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
An enclosure with a side opening door instead of a top opening door would cut down on her bolting out when you open it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yes, it's probably wild caught. They're still being imported in large numbers. Most adapt well to captivity.

For me, the best Avic cages have been the Sterlite ones that Wal-Mart carries. They're almost square and have green latches. It's a good shape for Avics, as opposed to cookie jars. The priority with Avics is to get them to spin a sheet/tube so they feel 'at home'. Until then, they're prone to running around and dashing out of the cage. Having more anchor points encourages spinning, like cork and plastic plants (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit). Substrate should be dry and a water bowl provides humidity. They need cross ventilation, and more airholes than most other species. I only mist on their silk (and lightly) for drinking. Don't mist for humidity, which is a mistake many people make, and they wind up with moist substrate and condensation, which can kill the spider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got an avic avic from a pet store. Everytime I open the top lid it tries to gun out of there as quickly as possible. Could it be that it's wild caught ?
Last time I had it out. It took me about 20 minutes to get it back in. It doesn't seem to like being in the cookie jar I bout it. lol
Would YOU like being kept in prison????

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It might use it eventually. Leave the branch in. Avics sometimes take a while to settle in.

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
I have a Walmart cookie jar. If I put the branch in and it webs it up. I'm going to have to destroy what it did just to put fresh water in its cap weekly.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

It webbed a part at the top, so it seems comfortable in there, and she's actually eating pretty good. I gave her two small crickets in the past four days

Saark

Arachnosquire
I'm a big fan of front opening enclosures for arboreals. I put all cork bark/branches point towards a back corner with water dish right in front at the door. They can climb to the top and web to their heart's content and I don't destroy anything when I feed/water. Also, since they tend to go up when startled, they are less likely to escape than if they are in a top opening container. I make enclosures with those acrylic display cases for juveniles and then move to the Exo-Terra tanks when they get bigger. Just my personal preference though...

cold blood

Staff member
I have a Walmart cookie jar. If I put the branch in and it webs it up. I'm going to have to destroy what it did just to put fresh water in its cap weekly.
I have a simple solution for that. Get a syringe, you can put it through a side vent hole, or create its own hole with the needle...this way you can fill the dish without upsetting the t or opening the lid.

Saark is right though, side opening doors do help, as does something with a less rigid top that will allow you to merely open a small side of the top away from the webbing. I have one in an enclosure with a rigid top, in order to feed without opening the top and destroying its webbing, I used a razor blade to cut a small hole in the top, which I keep covered, with a weight on top. Feeding time I simply move the little makeshift cover and drop the prey into the enclosure...no need to open the lid or disrupt the avic in any manner.;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yes, it's probably wild caught. They're still being imported in large numbers. Most adapt well to captivity.

For me, the best Avic cages have been the Sterlite ones that Wal-Mart carries. They're almost square and have green latches. It's a good shape for Avics, as opposed to cookie jars. The priority with Avics is to get them to spin a sheet/tube so they feel 'at home'. Until then, they're prone to running around and dashing out of the cage. Having more anchor points encourages spinning, like cork and plastic plants (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit). Substrate should be dry and a water bowl provides humidity. They need cross ventilation, and more airholes than most other species. I only mist on their silk (and lightly) for drinking. Don't mist for humidity, which is a mistake many people make, and they wind up with moist substrate and condensation, which can kill the spider.
This /\

My WC adult A. avic never gave me any problems really. But it sure wandered a lot. And more than once decided to stroll on out for an annoying game of catch the Avic. He clearly had a favorite spot behind the cork bark however. It took 3 months But he finally made a web retreat. Now he spends most of his time there and is easier to contain.

I had a branch in there for like 4 days and it just ignored it, so I took it out
4 days isn't a long time to let a tarantula adjust to something. You may not have seen if it used it or not.

Last edited: