Planning a jailbreak?!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ok so this is my biggest Lasiodora parahybana. Sold to me as a suspect male. Along with a smaller sac mate suspect female. (So you ventral sexing pros are,welcome right now as I'm not comfortable enough to say anything for certain) He's about 5". In a reptile bin KK type enclosure. Wider than taller....

See those ventilation slits on the side? Like the raptors in Jurassic Park. He's wandering his cage testing the fences. Sticking a fang out if he can. Wandering a lot on the side. But a lot of toothy exploration outside of the enclosure. Unsettling as I just get home from a night of bar security to see your most "amusing" tarantula reminding you that It's a wild animal with fangs that are already a half inch easily, and it doesn't care that it's my favorite. It thinks it's better outside. Dammit tarantula don't you realize I know what's best for you? Stay in there!

Anyways. My immediate thought is new enclosure time asap. Is that overreacting? I've heard stories these guys are escape artists and chewers. Can they snap through an enclosure like this?

I can't take my eyes off of him. It's so new to anything I've seen him do.

Attachments

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had a few T's do this and my E. murinus keeps doing it at night when she's out of her burrow wandering the sides and testing the ventilation ribs. So far, to no ill and this has been going on for about 9 months or so. I'm aware it -could- happen one day, but I'm not worried about it. The last time a T tried that, it was "Phaedra" on the metal mesh which would have given in way easier - and it woke me up!

If you're that worried about it, there are only a couple options: Glasscage, or Acrylic with ventilation-holes instead of mesh-vents or ribs. Your choice really.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Both of my LP's do this regularly. Imo, i dont think they could snap through that plastic....but I also wouldnt discount the possibility entirely.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well I awoke this morning. Spider is still there, no snapped plastic, and he's back to chilling and knocked that nonsense off. I mean he'd have to do a lot of chewing to get out. And I'd be more worried he'd make a hole with sharp edges that would puncture him as he crawled out. Plus the next step for his big clumsy butt would be to fall about 4 feet. So his escape would be like escaping Alcatraz.

It's just unnerving tp see your biggest T sticking it's big 'ol fangs out of the enclosure.

I'll leave him for now I guess.

Any thoughts on if he's indeed a he?

Or more thoughts on the safety of this enclosure and his newfound love of flossing?

xkris

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry too much about it. my lasiodora difficilis is 17cm and has 2cm fangs. she has periods of doing it regularly and methodically. she goes around and checks all crevices.
theoretically it is possible, but its unlikely. also its not going to happen over night. she would need a few nights of heavy chewing. so you would know something is up.
dont worry its quite durable plastic. i would also worry more about metal mesh.

gobey

Arachnoknight
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

Home tonight again from a late night shift. It's almost 4 am. Now HIS SISTER is doing the SAME EXACT THING! Only she was poking and prodding with her legs too as well as her fangs... She's an inch smaller than her bigger sibling but I swear her fangs are just as big if not bigger.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

Home tonight again from a late night shift. It's almost 4 am. Now HIS SISTER is doing the SAME EXACT THING! Only she was poking and prodding with her legs too as well as her fangs... She's an inch smaller than her bigger sibling but I swear her fangs are just as big if not bigger.
probably just enjoying being a T. mine are kept in cups and containers never had a T do anything with ventalation but use it for web .. also never kept a larger T in a KK style for long ^_^

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

I wouldn't worry, gobey. I've regularly found 8.5" Evita walking completely upside down on the wire mesh top of her enclosure. Helps digestion, I guess. ;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just watched. It's pretty fascinating. I don't know really if escape is what they're trying to accomplish, or if they're just being weirdos.

I was just l like "really? You too?"

Raising siblings eh?

None of the "bars" are cracked or anything. It honestly kind of looks like she's flossing.