Should i or shouldn't I ?

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody! :biggrin:

Well, i have a dilemma I was dealing with for about 3 months now..i've been a proud owner of Poecilotheria species for several years now, and i haven't had any problems with them..I've never seen any make a threat pose and i owned practically every common pokie...Now, three months ago, a T named Monocentropus balfouri caught my eye, and i would REALLY like to have this T, but i'm a bit conserned about their attitude..I prepare well for every rehouse for my pokies and i don't disturb my T's more that i have to (misting, taking out left-overs and rehousing).

I know it's silly, but i would really like to hear your opinions on how you started with your baboons (you're expectations, preparations, etc.)

Hope some of you can help me get through this :biggrin:

Much appreciated! :angelic:

xkris

Arachnosquire
well it all started with me thinking something along the lines:

OHHHH...
UUHHHH....
AAAAHHH....
PRETTY! SHINY!

then i did a lot of reading and some asking questions until i got a clearer idea if this thing would be workable. and then i got one. seen it is working. so i got more.
i like baboons, they are cool and distinctive.

dont worry so much about supposed attitude. there is some truth in it, but a big part is also your T personality. no matter the species. they do vary.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, baboons are just underground Poecis. Like my Poecis, all my baboons have been more inclined to flight than fight. Treat them with the same respect you afford Poecis.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My remaining M.balfouri is, for the most part, extremely reclusive--rarely seen and when she is out, I have to be extremely careful to not move or brighten the room if I want to see her. She's also very fast. During her rehousing and her sibling's packing when I sold that one, they both got away from me a bit--not so much that it was an issue, I was expecting it and ready. I just thought it was interesting because people tend to underestimate this particular baboon species, so that speed makes for a good reminder that, yeah, it's still a baboon. I will say though, of the 3 baboon species I own, she isn't remotely confrontational and her sibling wasn't either.

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
yeah, i'm quite in the ohh uhhh ahh pretty shiny department myself :p it's quite funny that i have these problems with OW's now...a couple of years ago i got an adult female P. ornata as my second T, and dealt with her with no problems at all :) wasn't worried about her as i didn't make a proper research and i just got her not knowing anything :D

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ohhhh, I wish I was ready for an M. balfouri. They're so gosh darn pretty. But I'm not ready for that sort of speed yet. If you work with Pokies just fine though then I think you should do it! They're beautiful and supposedly aren't as 'nasty' as some of their cousins (so to speak). But I've also heard they aren't as blue in person, I've read they look more black/grey without decent lighting.

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
I have 3 of them. They are very blue on the carapace and legs even without good lighting. There beautiful.
I would say they are fairly docile when young, but my largest female who is now about 3.75 inches, has gotten quite the attitude after this last molt. She strikes with no warning at the slightest vibrations. I used to be able to hold her, but now I almost lose a finger everytime I open her enclosure. She could just be an exception, my other two are still docile but they are smaller.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Hi Dr Nick!
Well if you can deal with Pokies there is no reason why you can't deal with a Monocentropus balfouri, I would get it.