First T to breed?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm thinking about going deeper in the hobby by breeding something. So far this is what I've come up with to care for the egg sac: pull after 30 days, rotate sac at least 3 times a day, keep moist but not wet, and keep it at a higher temperature (75f-78f?). So this brings me back to my original question, what's the best T to breed? I was thinking Brachypelma vagans or Grammostola porteri. I don't want to breed any old worlds (due to their venom) or any Avicularia (because I have a hard time keeping slings alive even with good ventilation). It would be better too if the slings are bigger than 1/4" at least. Thanks, Bryce.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally im starting my breeding with G. rosea as its a easy to obtain female wise and i love my girls.. plus if i DO get sucessfull sacks worst case senerio is i give away a common T no special requirements like avic or ow. and if i dont get them to mate im not out alot. plus its also not something crazy hard to breed like i hear gbb's are. nor would i have tonns of babies like if i bred Lasiodora's XD i have 2 fem roseys who i love and will remain pets none the less :p i was going to go with A. Genic once my girls big enough. but i see them for sale by the hundreds all the time. and if i coudlnt get a breeder to take them i cant pawn them off on local shops as i wouldnt have the heart with a sp like that..

but i think your down the right ally.. i hear b.albo is a nice breeder but has quite a few slings. but thats all the more experience right? ;P

cold blood

Staff member
One of the first things I would think is:

Will I be able to sell the slings in a fair amount of time? Therefore I would look at species that are always in demand, and this doesn't always mean expensive. I wouldn't breed a rosea, an LP, vagans, curlyhair or the like, simply because there's already so many around.

B. smithi, emelia, albiceps are all easy sells that have remained popular to this day. Plus they are all nice looking, easy to keep and adored by new and seasoned keepers alike.

Avics also fit the bill, along with G. pulchra, A. geniculata, GBB, to name but a few possibilities. Or if you're feeling adventurous, there's never enough Pamphobeteus or Xenesthis species available.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Be a leader and breed these 2- H. pulchripes and P metallica [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If you do breed either successfully I expect slings from both as it's my idea [emoji13]

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Be a man and breed these 2- H. pulchripes and P metallica [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
hah a Harpactira?? CHALLENGE EXCEPTED.. but not for 10 yrs ;)

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

One of the first things I would think is:

Will I be able to sell the slings in a fair amount of time? Therefore I would look at species that are always in demand, and this doesn't always mean expensive. I wouldn't breed a rosea, an LP, vagans, curlyhair or the like, simply because there's already so many around.

B. smithi, emelia, albiceps are all easy sells that have remained popular to this day. Plus they are all nice looking, easy to keep and adored by new and seasoned keepers alike.

Avics also fit the bill, along with G. pulchra, A. geniculata, GBB, to name but a few possibilities. Or if you're feeling adventurous, there's never enough Pamphobeteus or Xenesthis species available.
very true on the market being flooded but he never said hed get rid of them XD i personally know where at least 1/2 mine are going if i get 2 sacs lol but those are all T's in demand your right.. but isnt . gbb harder to breed? iv heard they are from a few here.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Please, breed something that doesn't already flood the market every year. Part of the 'experience' is being able to sell/trade them, and not having to indefinitely maintain hundreds of vials of spiderlings. Look at some pricelists; what are the super cheap, giveaway species? Don't breed those. The hobby has plenty now. Make a real contribution by breeding species that there aren't enough of.